PDA

View Full Version : Fixing car for sale

Dan Stuewe
06-14-2005, 2:45 PM
I thought I'd be able to get some good advice from all the experiance here on the Creek on selling my SUV. I'm trying to sell my 11 year old S-10 Blazer since we just went to the other side and bought a Sienna. The Blazer has 4wd, but I just found that the switch isn't working (electronic shifter). Based on the documented diagnostics, my mechanic thinks the controller needs to be replaced for $400-$500. So, should I pay the $$ to fix the problem and then be able to sell with working 4wd, or should I just discount my asking price by $500 or so? I'm afraid the non-working 4wd will just scare folks off (I haven't had many hits in the three weeks it has been in the Auto Trader). But being out $500 and still waiting for a buyer doesn't sound good either. What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Jeff Sudmeier
06-14-2005, 2:47 PM
Dan, 4x4 in that vehichle will add at least $1000 to the price, maybe more if the vehicle is in good shape. Without the controler working, a buyer is going to think of it as a vehicle w/o 4x4. So unforutnately, you best bet is probably to replace it.

Also, can you do some reading and find out if just the switch needs replacing, or ask your mechanic? If it is just the switch, it would probably be a DIY job.

Rob Russell
06-14-2005, 2:50 PM
IMHO, for something as basic and drivetrain related as 4WD, I'd fix it.

Were I on the buying end, I'd be leery of a vehicle with a known problem and unknown cost to fix, even though the mechanic gives an estimate of $4-500.

Cosmetic things, like a sunroof that won't open, you can let the buyer decide if they want to fix.

Tim Morton
06-14-2005, 2:54 PM
I think having it not working would be a red flag to any buyer, and give them the "I wonder what else doesn't work or is about to stop working." Chances are that it would be a good vehicle for a family buying a car for a son or daughter just begining to drive...i would want it to be flawless if i was going to have my daughter drive it.

Dan Stuewe
06-14-2005, 4:54 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll have the work done and hope she finds a good home in short order.

Mike Wilkins
06-15-2005, 9:37 AM
Dan, before getting any repairs done, get a 2nd opinion. More than once I have taken a vehicle to a shop(dealer) for evaluation, only to take it to another shop and find the actual problem.
I agree that you should get it repaired; will add to the selling price.

Steven Wilson
06-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Get a second opinion and have them agree to take the part back if it doesn't fix the problem. You could also try scouting out junk yards for used controllers.