PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking shows - Atlanta

bruce Humphrey
01-24-2014, 7:50 AM
Has anyone been to this show? http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/webapp-shows/Atlanta

I realize the IWF is the big one but I am trying to determine if that one is worth a 2 hour drive. I mainly want to look at tool vendors.

thanks!
Bruce

Rich Riddle
01-24-2014, 7:57 AM
What type of tool vendors do you want to see? Peach Tree has an enormous footprint at the shows but they don't have large tools and more or less just accessories. Usually Bosch has a large presence but those are not stationary tools. Makita sometimes also has a presence. At the show in Indianapolis they had SawStop, Shop Fox, Jet, Rikon, Powermatic, and General International models but that was because one of the vendors brought them. The Jet/Powermatic area had no representative. For hand tools, Veritas and Woodpeckers make a presence. I attend to listen to presenters and see if there are any decent show prices. Beware that some of the show prices actually exceed the price the same vendors charge online. Just know your pricing before the show.

bruce Humphrey
01-24-2014, 8:06 AM
mainly band saws, but I am outfitting a shop for the first time so everything is interesting at this point. thanks for the pricing tip.

wayne forsyth
01-24-2014, 9:10 AM
I have attended in the past, didn't this last year. Large tools seem to be hit and miss, several years ago I bought a commercial drill press and a lathe. Stone Mountain Power Tool and Redmond Machinery are two of the floor model tool vendors. The last time I attended there were very few floor model tool displays.

glenn bradley
01-24-2014, 9:16 AM
Vendors vary by show but, the last show out here a few months ago had Hammer, Bosch and Powermatic but, I don't recall any other large machine vendors. YMMV.

Tom Walz
01-24-2014, 11:56 AM
http://iwfatlanta.com/Attendees/ExhibitorList - Interactive list

We made our reservations last Tuesday.

Lots of interest this year from the industry side.

bruce Humphrey
01-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Yep I am definitely going to the IWF in Aug. but I was trying to figure out if the one in March was worth the drive.

thanks
Bruce

http://iwfatlanta.com/Attendees/ExhibitorList - Interactive list

We made our reservations last Tuesday.

Lots of interest this year from the industry side.

Rich Riddle
01-24-2014, 1:26 PM
The only ones I see guaranteed to be there are Jet, Powermatic, Saw Stop and Bosch (few stationary tools). Most likely, it wouldn't be worth it in your situation.

Todd Hyman
01-24-2014, 3:15 PM
I have attended in the past, didn't this last year. Large tools seem to be hit and miss, several years ago I bought a commercial drill press and a lathe. Stone Mountain Power Tool and Redmond Machinery are two of the floor model tool vendors. The last time I attended there were very few floor model tool displays.

They were there last years as well and they did have bandsaws. I guess it depends on how far you have to drive. There si always, highland Woodworking, Woodcraft, Rockler and Peachtree woodworking's store.