PDA

View Full Version : Delta 28-255 bandsaw

Marc Myers
01-24-2014, 6:59 AM
I've been looking to upgrade my 20 yr old Ryobi 9" benchtop bandsaw with something a little more suited to cut 8/4 or 10/4 stock a little easier and less frustrating. I've done the whole search and read countless post on the subject, and I was going to wait until the Grizzly G0555 went on sale. I found a used Delta 28-255 Platinum bandsaw on CL about 15 minutes away. Looks dusty in the picture, but the seller says it's hardly used in the 10 yrs he's had it. He listed it for $550 and I thought it was a little steep so I offered $300 thinking we'd meet somewhere in between. He just wants it gone and will sell it for $300 if I come get it.

The problem I'm finding is I can't find any reviews on this model. Other than online copies of the manual, and some info saying it was available in 1 and 1.5 hp motors with 110 and 220 hookups. This one is the 1 hp 110 version, perfect for my shop. So the big question, is this a fair price for a quality machine? Even searching this forum for this model bandsaw turns up nothing. Anyone have any info they can pass along, supposed to go pick it up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Rich Riddle
01-24-2014, 7:40 AM
Delta had a habit of changing model numbers dependent upon every option on the band saw. The saw you are considering is a closed base that comes with a factory mobile kit. It's also the Platinum model which doesn't mean much of anything other than the date it was manufactured (about 2000). The specific model number likely gets established by everything including the motor horse power rating. Many motors 1 HP or higher can be wired to work with either 110 or 220 volts, so basically the band saw with identical motors will have a different part number based upon whether it's wired to work with 110 or 220. Changing the voltage wiring is about a fifteen minute job at most.

On to the general perceptions of the saws from that era in similar configurations. Many find them the last editions of the Delta band saws that were well-made and had good tracking. You can also add a riser block that will prove easy to locate. The amount of accessories for this style of saw is almost limitless for what you can put on a band saw because so many were produced that manufacturers geared after-market accessories to them. That said, you can end up with a lot of money in a band saw that in reality was mass produced for the home owner market. If you find yourself thinking of new guide rails, new fences, better this or that, then you should initially purchase a higher quality saw.

Of the two models you mention, the Delta proves a much better deal assuming you get one that has been properly used and not abused. You can usually listen to the saw to determine that. It shouldn't need new bearings but they are easily replaced and cheap if it does. The Delta also has the advantage of being able to add the riser block. The amount of parts for it will be in the supply line for generations to come if it ever does need repaired. Basically, that style of Delta hasn't changed in about 80 years.