PDA

View Full Version : Delta Milwaukee 14" bandsaw learning points

Bryan Rocker
01-23-2014, 9:10 PM
Good afternoon folks,

Some time ago I purchased this Delta Milwaukee 14" band saw from a fellow Creeker. When I brought it home I added a switch/new cord checked the pulley alignment and put it into use. I had been using it that way until 2 weeks ago. I started looking at its inability to cut fast and was looking at upgrading the motor when I ran some math to see how fast the blade was running. It turns out it was running at around 1932sfpm. Running the math I decided on changing out the 2 1/2" drive pulley for a 4" drive pulley and while I was at it find a way to better tension the belt. I decided to pull the drive pulley off to make sure it was 5/8". As I pulled it off I noticed it had NO key! I decided to pull the top pulley off and low and behold it had no key either! After a trip to TSC with bolts/keys/belts/pulley in hand I remounted the Dayton motor, which states that it is a 13A, 1HP 110/220 motor. Once its all together I crank it up and its running much faster. I then grab a scrap of 2x4 and run a pass through the saw.....didn't even slow down. I then cut the 4" side and it didn't slow down.....I can't believe how much of a hog it is....not sure I need a new motor or wire it for 220.....Next test is to do some resawing with it.

Moral of the story, when you buy used machinery make sure you really look it over.....I am very happy with one MINOR issue, they dust really really flies now.....may have to make that dust collection mod a bit higher on the list......

Bryan Rocker

John TenEyck
01-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Good advise. Used equipment almost always needs a good going over, if for nothing more than piece of mind, but often to check for safety issues, too. You are aware that by upsizing the drive pulley you now have less torque, right? But if that gets you to the design fpm's and the saw cuts well all is good. 1HP should be plenty for the standard 6" height version of that saw; if you put a riser block on it you likely will want more HP.

John

Charles Coolidge
01-24-2014, 2:14 AM
You dare post about a Delta Milwaukee machine and you don't post pics? Here's my Delta Milwaukee, it required a good going over.

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/dm2.jpg

http://www.coolidgeamps.com/pics/mp52.jpg

HANK METZ
01-24-2014, 7:07 AM
That's a nice looking restoration Charles, you gonna hard wire the motor or go with the disconnect?

Charles Coolidge
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks Hank, I think I'm going to hard wire it. Should I need to remove the carriage one day I can always cut the cord then and install plugs.

Myk Rian
01-24-2014, 11:35 AM
Bryan;
Consider yourself lucky you didn't gaul the shafts and pulleys running without the keys. Glad you got it going.
I'll do Charles one better. This is a REAL band saw. :)

HANK METZ
01-24-2014, 12:28 PM
That looks good too Myk.

A quick tip for us restorers I recently hit upon; badges that are dull, but otherwise legible can be spiffed up by rubbing with a pencil eraser- the red one- to clean and remove any oxide, and hit with a gloss clear-coat of spray lacquer. Don't use Krylon, it won't render that nice 3- dimensional image that gives a depth of field look to it.