PDA

View Full Version : Remove stainless steel cermark engraving

Tracey Bakewell
01-23-2014, 3:00 PM
Help! I did not have my object properly focused in my rotary attachment. It is a ring of a mock stanley cup and made up of stainless steel. When I put the ring in, as it spun around it slightly lost focus on one side. So, I removed the object then washed off the cermark to only find the horrible problem I now have... re-align and re-run... be working on that for hours now as well as have made the engraving look worse by thinking I was bang on my alignment to only find I was still slightly off and looks blurry. So, long story short... has anyone ever used the laser to remove engraving that was put on stainless steel using cermark? Or, am I looking at taking this thing to a grinder and buffer??? All tools I do not have!

I know I know I know, I already hear the lectures :o , but right now I need some kind of solution to my problem I've created for myself.

Thank you all for your continued help and support.
Sincerely,
Tracey:(

Ross Moshinsky
01-23-2014, 3:17 PM
Steel wool and scotch brite pad will take care of it.

Also don't feel badly about making mistakes. We make mistakes regularly enough. It happens.

Mike Null
01-23-2014, 3:43 PM
I would get some wet/dry sandpaper in various grits from about 400 to 2000. Then get a sheet of emery paper for the final finish. These will last for many jobs but they will get this job done. I don't think the short list of Ross will get the finish back to original.

Tracey Bakewell
01-23-2014, 3:50 PM
Awesome, yeah, it's defiitely making a dent, but getting back to square one would be nice because the shadow is still there and still a slight black. Hopefully, I won't have "many" jobs where I need to save myself like this. Thanks Mike!

Tracey Bakewell
01-23-2014, 6:12 PM
I am back to normal now! Thank you all, I never made it as far as the sandpaper since most of it was out of focus, the steel wool and rubbing compound and scotch brite pad did the trick, as well as stainless steel stovetop cleaner :)

Keith Outten
01-23-2014, 7:57 PM
Tracey,

I'm sad to say that I have made the same mistake more than once, well maybe more then twice :)

greg lindsey
01-23-2014, 11:50 PM
When using cermark you can get your placement correct by hitting it lightly with the laser, on my 60 watt I use 15 pwr and 80 speed to only blacken the cermark but not the part. Once you think you have the proper placement shoot it with the correct marking speed and power, no matter how many times you hit it lightly it wont affect the outcome of the final lasering, no need to move the part and reapply the cermark.

Chris J Anderson
01-24-2014, 6:25 PM
When using cermark you can get your placement correct by hitting it lightly with the laser, on my 60 watt I use 15 pwr and 80 speed to only blacken the cermark but not the part. Once you think you have the proper placement shoot it with the correct marking speed and power, no matter how many times you hit it lightly it wont affect the outcome of the final lasering, no need to move the part and reapply the cermark.

Great tip, thanks Greg

Tim Bateson
01-24-2014, 8:03 PM
I am back to normal now! Thank you all, I never made it as far as the sandpaper since most of it was out of focus, the steel wool and rubbing compound and scotch brite pad did the trick, as well as stainless steel stovetop cleaner :)

You're lucky. I've tried a couple times and have never lost the shadow.

Frank barry
01-03-2015, 4:54 AM
hi just a quick tip on this you can buy a small tube of diamond paste it works a treat and it comes as fins as you may want I hope this helps cheers Frank