PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Lyre

David DeCristoforo
01-23-2014, 1:04 PM
Keith Burns recently posed a question. "Am I crazy?" He was referring, of course, to the time he had invested in his latest piece. After spending an ungodly amount of time carving this spiral "topper", I feel that I am in in a qualified position to answer Keith's question. Yes. You are crazy. The only consolation is that you might not be the crazy-ist. I mean look at the stuff Malcom Tibbets makes or Gordon Pembridge. Now those guys are way crazier! So that's what you can get. Yes you are crazy. But there's lots of people who are crazier yet!

OK… this is no big deal when it comes to carved spiral work. It's as basic as such work can get but for my first attempt I figured I better keep it simple. I've never been much of a carver anyway. I have always admired the work of Alain Mailland. Of course, this does not merit even a mention in the same sentence as Alain's pieces. But it gave me a real appreciation for what goes into work like that. I broke this thing at least four times and each time, I was lucky enough to find the little piece and get it glued back together. And even a tiny bit of sanding with fine grit paper would completely throw the curves off.

Now that it's done, I simply don't know what to think of it. I have no way to "critique" it. I kinda like the main part of the form and the pedestal is OK but I can't really see it as a whole, probably because I'm burned out on it! So lock and load and fire at will...

Dennis Ford
01-23-2014, 1:16 PM
It is a beautiful piece. I love the base and the HF has a perfect shape. The finial is very nice (and must have been lots of work). The flared bit at the top of the finial keeps it from being perfect to me (I would like this to be slightly smaller). I feel kinda bad offering that suggestion; perhaps because the piece is way beyond anything that I could do.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2014, 1:21 PM
Being crazy must amplify or magnify one's skills and artistic abilities!

I like this. I find the delicately twisting finial is a beautiful topping for what would be a very nice but also common body and base.

What is the darker wood David?

Thom Sturgill
01-23-2014, 2:25 PM
Looking a the thumb nail, it does NOT draw me to the piece. Works much better without the pedestal, IMHO. The finial makes me think of spiralling smoke and accents the fire of the burl nicely. Here's what I mean:

Not sure if that would be an improvement... Definitely a very nice piece.

Scott Hackler
01-23-2014, 2:32 PM
David,

I know you've been experimenting with finial design to "find your own" and you might have just done that. I love the finial and although I see hints of Alain Mailland's work, it's different enough to be your own. The form is great and up to what we all expect from you as well. The two really go together well. But, I do not like the base at all. It's not "delicate" enough and seems off to the over all look.

Keep up the finial design, you've got a winner with this latest version.

David DeCristoforo
01-23-2014, 3:15 PM
Funny thing about the pedestal. For some reason, this just seemed to want one. I spent hours trying to come up with a design that worked. Finally, I just threw a piece of wood on the lathe and started in on it. It was only after taking the photo that I realized that the pedestal is kind of an elongated emulation of the lid and finial. I'm not unhappy with it but like I said, it became difficult for me to see this with any kind of objectivity and I remain somewhat ambivalent about it. I do like Thom's edit and had actually considered a short pedestal like that. Since none of the components are glued together, I may do a revision or an alternate pedestal.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-23-2014, 4:10 PM
It's a lovely element, David. It reminds me of the pictures I've seen of swans twisting their necks around each other. Are you nuts? Yup, but that's what happens to us as we try to make our work unique. Hollow forms have become more commonplace since hollowing jigs with lasers became popular. Finials with collars are a wonderful way of hiding a hole big enough to allow entry of an adjustable cutter holder. Turners are becoming increasingly skilled at making thin, delicate finals. So what does it take to set work one's apart. Being "nuts" has become a requirement. But what "nuts" means in this context is the willingness to spend only a minor portion of time at the lathe and ever increasing hours laboring over design experiments and developing carving and sanding skills. Keep on being "nuts". The results are sweet.
faust

Dan Forman
01-23-2014, 4:14 PM
I'm not sure I would go for one of your more typical "impossibly thin" pedestals, this one seems more in keeping with the beautiful carved finial, which though graceful, does register as having more mass than the usual spire type. What wood is the body of the form?

Dan

Michael Poorman
01-23-2014, 4:46 PM
David,

Well done! I really like the approach you took with the upper finial. It too reminds me of swans. In my opinion the upper finial should have necked down a bit more before it flared back out at the top. I think that would have made a very strong visual impact. I like the lower finial as you designed it and also as Thom suggested. It is a touch thick, but is still quite nice. Thanks for sharing!

Jon Nuckles
01-23-2014, 5:01 PM
David,
Love the form and the finial below the carving. I know that I like and am impressed by the skill to create the carved portion of the finial, but would like to see another angle to tell if I really like it. I don't like this base as much as most of the ones that you make. The foot of it seems too small and the upper portion a little fat. I do prefer taller to shorter. That's my 2 cents, anyway. Always look forward to seeing your work!

John Beaver
01-23-2014, 5:09 PM
It's a very cool finial !!!!

I don't feel the style of the base matches the design of the top. I think you could improve the way the top is incorporated, and I hope you do because I really like the finial.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2014, 9:12 PM
David, It's my opinion that the piece doesn't need a pedestal at all. I feel it could stand on it's own just fine.
I'm right there with you as a admirer of Alain's work. I was lucky enough to have spent a couple of days with him while he was here in the US in 2010. Great guy. He even says most of his work is only 10 % turning & lots of sanding.

Jim Underwood
01-24-2014, 8:13 AM
My immediate thought about the pedestal is that it's too much the same length and width of the finial. I think shorter or even the same length but larger at the base might look better. Perhaps incorporate an upside down shape of the main body?

That being said, I like the finial. It's different from anything I've seen in a while.

Beautiful work as usual.

Bill Hensley
01-24-2014, 8:34 AM
I'll throw in my 2 cent opinion. Love the finial, great execution but it's too much for the top. Instead use the finial for the pedestal and repeat the shape of the finial base as a knob for the top.

Doug Herzberg
01-24-2014, 8:43 AM
David, I've admired almost all of your work on this site since I first saw it a couple years ago. This is no exception. The hollow form itself looks almost perfect and the wood is beautiful. The finial on its own is also lovely. The flair out at the top is something I haven't seen before and the quality makes it hard to accept that it's a first effort, but being familiar with your work, I believe it. To me, the finial looks a little large for the hollow form. The combination seems to put the hollow form in the wrong place vertically. I think Thom's edit is an improvement, but moving the body up might also work. Maybe no pedestal at all, like Joe said. I think without it, the size of the finial in proportion to the hollow form would seem more right.

Thanks for sharing. Not to gush, but you continue to inspire me. I don't think it's a waste of time at all.

Alan Trout
01-24-2014, 8:45 AM
David I love the final and the form, I am not crazy about the base. The form is strong enough to stand on its own. If I had better photoshop skills I would say if anything just have a foot of the same material as the final on the bottom that maybe gives a little lift but no real embellishment other than the color of the wood.