PDA

View Full Version : above table router adjustment

john davey
01-23-2014, 12:44 PM
I recently purchased the Kreg router table (the smaller one) and would like to get a dedicated router for it. i currently have a PC 690 but do not want to remove it when needed. Also since this will be dedicated I would like to do the adjustments the top if possible. I know many have a hex key the of setup now that goes through the table to raise and lower the router. I am not really looking to get a lift cage for a router but one with the integrated hex key or whatever. I am assuming the router lifts are better but I am hoping to keep costs down. Thanks, John...

Ken Fitzgerald
01-23-2014, 1:03 PM
John,

I have an old PC that you could purchase an knob with a shaft to adjust height. My most recent project was a router table and I installed the Woodpecker PRLV-2 lift with a PC 3 1/4hp motor.

Doing a little research it appears the Porter-Cable PC895K has an accessory handle that can purchased so it can be adjusted from above the table top.

Milwaukee appears to offer 2 models that 5625-20 and 5615-20 that can be adjusted from above the table top and Triton offers one too.

Larry Browning
01-23-2014, 1:13 PM
The Triton TRA001 has this feature that works quite well. I have one mounted in my router table and love it. This is big powerful router that is designed to be mounted in a table.
Looks like Amazon has it on sale for $199 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TRA001-Precision-Plunge-Router/dp/B00779ND0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390500674&sr=8-1&keywords=triton+tra001

John Schweikert
01-23-2014, 3:29 PM
I have several of the newer Bosch MR*23 routers. One combo was a new MRC23, and also bought a refurb MRF23EVS from CPO (around $150) that works and looks as new which I keep mounted in my router table. The MRF23 is very easy to use, unlock the base from under the table and use a hex wrench through the table top then relock to hold the height. I can change bits from above the table with no problems with the standard wrench but I also bought the bent wrench which helps as well.

The only modification I needed to do for my table was glue in a small mirror to see the variable speed control setting switch. The way it mounts in my table puts the switch toward the backside (Bosch table with all the holes for mounting the router and above table adjustment predrilled).

The naming for the Bosch is a little dumb but here are what the different versions mean for the same router:
MRC23 combo with fixed and plunge bases
MRF23 fixed base
MRP23 plunge base
- and they are all EVS for electronic variable speed.

Matt Marsh
01-24-2014, 5:31 AM
John,

I have the Bosch 1617 EVS, and have it mounted in a Rockler laminate top and plate. The ability to adjust it from above the table was one of the main reasons I decided on that model. I'm perfectly happy with his setup. If you want to be able to use the router both hand-held and in the table you can buy a separate dedicated table base for under $65.00. The router came with a T-handled Allen. I had to drill the adjustment hole in the Rockler plate, but there was nothing to it. I'm sure the dedicated lifts are really nice, and I might some day upgrade, but then again, I'm totally satisfied with it now.

Rick Moyer
01-24-2014, 8:55 AM
This is something I have never really understood, I guess. Please enlighten me if what I am about to type is incorrect.
Unless you get one of the lifts, don't you STILL have to go under the table to loosen the router lock to allow up/down movement of the collet? I don't see the advantage of the ability to adjust from the top when you have to go below anyway. Just as easy for me to unlock, then use the normal procedure from below. Now, if the lifts allow ALL adjustment from above, which I think they do, THEN that would be a nice situation. Is this correct?

glenn bradley
01-24-2014, 9:02 AM
Although there are more routers that offer this now than in the past, the Triton is the most refined I have seen. It also remains stable without reaching under to manually lock the carriage although that feature is available. The main complaint on the Triton is the safety lock out on the power switch once the collet is extended for bit changes. Many folks disable this feature as they add an outboard switch.

I run a Woodpecker PRL and a Milwaukee 5625 and although I have a remote power switch I have never missed having a remote variable speed feature as I oriented the router so that the speed control faces forward and is easy to reach through the door. When I ran the 5625 alone, it had the above the table adjustment built in. The manual carriage lock was a requirement on this and other 'cam-lock' style of carriage as the mechanism design effects the motor alignment when locked / unlocked. This became a pain rather quickly and I bought the lift.

johnny means
01-24-2014, 1:46 PM
OhMy PCs can be unlocked from above the table. Unfortunately, the mechanism has proven to be less than durable. My Milwaukee 5625 is to heavy for the cheap plastic mechanism to consistently lift it. All have had sloppy adjustment when they did work. I've come to the conclusion that "Above the table adjustment" is something manufacturers do as an after thought to pad out there specs. I'll be buying a couple of lifts when finances allow, jtill then it's less frustrating to listen to my knees crackle when I squat down to make adjustments. I guess my point is, don't expect much.

Bill Huber
01-24-2014, 2:08 PM
I have a Jessem left and would not go back to the above the table router adjust. I had the Bosch 1617 with above the table and the problem I had was you had to go under the table to unlock it. Then when you adjusted the bit and went back under the table to lock it the bit would move a little and then you had to adjust it all over again.

I am sure there are better above the table adjustable routers out there now on the market but I really like using a lift, much easier to work with.

You can get a good lift now for under $200 so if you can swing it I would sure look into it.

John Schweikert
01-24-2014, 4:43 PM
Whether you want a lift or not now or even in the future can be an important decision early on. The Bosch MRF23 can ONLY be used in one of the Bosch bases, because those bases and the router connect electronically. A lift system will not work then. So one of the other solid performers from PC, Milwaukee, Triton etc would be a better choice.

I will say I have zero issues of the MRF23 slipping any when relocking after setting the height. I use the Wixey mini digital height gauge to set the bits.

john davey
01-25-2014, 7:26 PM
Hmm, thanks for all of the information. I guess I need to read up on this some more. The problem I have with going the lift route is cost basically. Yes I understand they are down in price but the table was $200, the router will be $200 and a lift being another $200 is $600 plus. that is more than I want invested in a portable router table. I am going to re think the whole idea and maybe just keep using the PC I have. I do not use the table enough to justify another $400 on it. I was hoping there was a good one out there that I might start looking for used. Sadly sometimes not buying a tool is better then blowing the budget to smithereens :)...

johnny means
01-25-2014, 7:44 PM
John, I guess it's a little late for you, but if I was in your shoes I would have opted for the lift and built a table. IMO, commercially available router tables offer very little value over something that can be pieced together with a few scraps from around the shop. While a lift really does offer a superior level of convenience and precision. Also, your lift and router can be transplanted to a bigger nicer table if you ever need or want to upgrade. Your little router table will just go into the stuff I've outgrown pile.

Frederick Skelly
01-25-2014, 9:37 PM
I have a milwaukee that adjusts above the table. Cost me $200 new 18 mos ago. Came with fixed and plunge bases. I havent run into anything yet that required a router lift. YMMV.

Fred

joseph f merz
01-25-2014, 11:32 PM
i have two main tables .one i built and one store bought .one is not better then the other .though a real nice fence with removable inserts is a cool idea .also have several routers to set-up .one of which is a triton .it is inexpensive ,seems to have a strong following . my experience -it is inexpensive -yeah i said that already .it is made out plastic , it cost less for a reason .The above table bit change is nice but i broke the plastic raising parts twice .Got a router raiser installed on it now .It has more deflection under load then I prefer . I found though generally if I am changing bits there are fence set-ups to change anyhow ,easy enough to just pop router out of the table and change the bit .I have several plunge routers with the large nobs for adjustment .easy to use under a table .often enough when you set the height your down there on your knees anyhow visually gauging the bits height .

Rich Engelhardt
01-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Back when I bought mine, the two I read the most positive about were the Freud 1700 and the Triton.
I went with the Freud because there was a lot of talk at the time also that Triton was going under......

Go figure....

Anyhow - I love my top adjust.
I also run a cheap 1.5HP under table Ryobi - which - is a pain compared to the top adjust Freud.

Sean Powell
01-26-2014, 7:55 PM
I have the tra001 for my kreg router table. Very easy to adjust height, only thing I don't like is that you have to slide safety switch out of way to turn on and the switch is on the back. I tried to use it as a hand router and it's to heavy to use all the time

I also just recently bought the bosch mrf23 and it's a very good router. Nice having to turn it on all on the handle. Didn't buy the plunge base yet but eventually going to.

Larry Browning
01-27-2014, 10:47 AM
I have the tra001 for my kreg router table. Very easy to adjust height, only thing I don't like is that you have to slide safety switch out of way to turn on and the switch is on the back. I tried to use it as a hand router and it's to heavy to use all the time

I also have the TRA001 mounted in my shop made router table. Mine has an external switch, so turning it on and off is not a problem. However, it has a safety feature which requires the on board switch to be off before the head can be raised into position to change the bit. Some view this as a hassle, I kinda like it though. I suppose it comes down to how safety conscious you are.
Actually the bit changing feature of the TRA001 was what sold me on this router. The way it works is that, with the power switch off, you crank the head all the way up until the head locks in place. You then use a single wrench to loosen and tighten the collet from above the table. You can raise and lower the head with the switch on, you just can't raise it high enough lock it without turning the power switch off.

Larry Browning
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
OMG! I just now looked at the TRA001 on Amazon, and the price has jumped back up to $259!

Jim Rimmer
01-27-2014, 1:04 PM
The Triton TRA001 has this feature that works quite well. I have one mounted in my router table and love it. This is big powerful router that is designed to be mounted in a table.
Looks like Amazon has it on sale for $199 right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TRA001-Precision-Plunge-Router/dp/B00779ND0Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390500674&sr=8-1&keywords=triton+tra001

+1 on this idea. I've got one and love it.

Curt Harms
01-28-2014, 10:19 AM
John,

I have an old PC that you could purchase an knob with a shaft to adjust height. My most recent project was a router table and I installed the Woodpecker PRLV-2 lift with a PC 3 1/4hp motor.

Doing a little research it appears the Porter-Cable PC895K has an accessory handle that can purchased so it can be adjusted from above the table top.

Milwaukee appears to offer 2 models that 5625-20 and 5615-20 that can be adjusted from above the table top and Triton offers one too.

I have a Porter-Cable 89X combo base. IMO the height adjusting mechanism is cheesy, I wouldn't have any confidence in it. Triton seems to get positive reviews for in-table usage though I've never used one. I have a Freud FT2000E with router raizer installed that has worked out pretty well.

Curt Harms
01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
John,

I have a Porter-Cable 89X combo base. I think it's a pretty held machine but IMO the motor raising mechanism is cheesy. I wouldn't recommend one for table use unless with some kind of after-market height adjuster.