PDA

View Full Version : Boggs Side Chair Build

Curtis Niedermier
01-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Has anyone else read the blog posts for the Boggs Side Chair Build over on Brian Boggs' website? It's pretty good stuff if you're just learning to make chairs, or if you're like me, and want to start learning to make chairs very soon (summer project!).

I'm actually surprised by the techniques a bit. I thought his processes would be more Neander. I expected the pieces to be split from the log, more like a Windsor chair, but they're sawn, and most of the dimensioning is done with power tools. I guess his is a production operation and they need to keep things moving. The final shaping then is done by hand.

I'm not finished reading it, but I've already gotten great advice on bending wood, grain orientation in chairs, and a really cool demo on how to saw a log and mill the pieces from those initial boards so that the grain is as straight as possible in each piece. It makes me wish I had a buddy with a bandsaw mill.

I've also managed to watch about two-thirds of the Windsor chair-build videos on Curtis Buchanan's website. That series is what got me interested in making chairs, and it's full of great information.

Does it seem like chair-makers are very forthcoming with information? They teach a lot of classes and publish a lot of their methods. I mean, Peter Galbert posts all kinds of great stuff on his blog that I would consider to be trade secrets, but he makes it available to the world. It seems like if you're interested in making chairs, there's a ton of info readily available on the Web.

Prashun Patel
01-23-2014, 10:13 AM
I totally agree that people are forthcoming with techniques. The reason is that it's age-old technology. The genius isn't in the method; it's in the execution. It's HARD to do what Dunbar, Boggs, and Galbert do even if you know how to they do it. Further, they've reached a point of brand recognition that protects them. Consider how many 'knock off' Maloof chairs and plans there are out there. I doubt Maloof's studios are hurting too badly for that; in fact it's probably advertising for them.

I imagine that attempting to scale up a business - as Boggs has - the pressure to use more efficient processes (tailed or neander) is probably insurmountable. At this point, he (like Nakashima's studio) is probably paid more for their brand, design, and engineering more than their methods.

Sean Hughto
01-23-2014, 10:34 AM
http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1255273668p2/314980.jpg (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/author/show/314980.Jim_Jarmusch) Jim Jarmusch“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.”

Jim Matthews
01-24-2014, 10:02 PM
I looked into taking the chair course, and building my own chairs to complement my dining table.

Rather than wait the ten years it would take me to learn, and execute the design
my wife gave the go-ahead to buy six side chairs in 2010.

They cost more than my last car.
They're also dead-solid perfect and will outlast my lifetime.

If you can make chairs like this in your home shop,
you're gifted. The jigs and methodical approach Brian employs
make it possible for him to make a world class product in a timely manner.

He's also proof of how willing and open the Big Dogs are about the craft.

The guy is something of an unsung genius, in my opinion.

Jim Koepke
01-24-2014, 11:33 PM
He's also proof of how willing and open the Big Dogs are about the craft.

One of the things I enjoy about watching Peter Folenbase on the WoodWright's shop is he often says, "nothing here is original, it is all learned from those who have done it before."

That is how much knowledge is learned and passed on to be enjoyed by future woodworkers. My guess is any "new tricks" I come up with are really just rediscoveries of how it was done many years before my time.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
01-25-2014, 12:05 AM
Bogg's certainly is not unique in his willingness to share methods. In a thread I was running about tools for making chairs Curtis Buchanan and his site was mentioned. Curtis has 51 video links on his site that take us from picking out logs through waxing the final product. Peter Galbert, as Curtis mentions, offers information on how to build the very tools he offers for sale. Drew Langsner provides information in his chair building book on building many tools he sells as well.

I think this work requires unique physical dexterity and a unique, specialized, often hard to find or make, tool collection. Those who do the work probably know most people want commit to that large a goal. There is also the fact that many people just do not have access to a green wood supply and they can't go out and buy it? Curtis starts with 12 foot logs which most people can't or want deal with. I suspect the information these chair makers make so public winds up inspiring more people to buy this type chair than to build them. It is also true that many of these chair builders make money selling tools, books or classes. I suspect many chair builder's long term goal is to retire into making tools, teaching, writing books....

It has only taken me 20-30 years of thinking about it, and 17 years of dealing with 12 acres of woods to build up the courage to try turning trees into furniture.