PDA

View Full Version : Small DC setup

Steve Gojevic
01-23-2014, 7:39 AM
Currently, I am using my Sears Craftsman shopvac for DC. the biggest problem is that even though its 16 gallon, it takes much less than that to stop effective operation. Once its about 1/3 full, the filter sucks the debris against itself. Also, fine dust tends to go right onto the pleated paper filter and plug it up.

The proper thing would be to get a real DC setup, but I can't afford it right now. Maybe later this year a HF 2 hp DC setup.

I am going to start a lot of kitchen cabinets made out of maple ply. I need DC mainly for the TS, the 6x48 belt sander, the planer, and the jointer (4").

For the time being, I am planning on adding a debris and dust accumulator between the tool and the shopvac. Right now, the choice seems to be between the Oneida Dust Deputy ($40 + a container) and the Rockler Dust-Right Separator ($70 on sale).

Any preferences between the two systems?

Steve

glenn bradley
01-23-2014, 8:23 AM
The Dust Deputy wold be my choice. The Rockler beats not having anything but, didn't fare well in reviews. This seems to be a rare case where the litt plastic DD is the best bang for the buck. I was so impressed I bought a second one for another vac station. Also, if they make one that fits your vac, go ahead and get a Clean Stream filter. $35 seems like a lot for a vac filter but, with the DD I only clean mine about once a year. When its time I just toss the Clean Stream out on the lawn and hit ti with the hose. Potentially the last filter you'd ever buy.

Dave Zellers
01-23-2014, 8:29 AM
Dust Deputy hands down. If you can swing it, I would get the Deluxe 10 gal as you will need the extra capacity if you want to use it with a jointer and planer. It comes with everything you need including a 5' hose to run between the DD and the vac. I just got one for Christmas and was blown away by the first real world use. 5 hours of aggressive sanding on pine with 60,80 and 120 grit with a 6" orbital. When I opened the DD container, there was 2-3" of fine sanding powder on top of the sawdust that was there when I started. When I opened the vac there was nothing and I mean nothing inside. The filter had the thinnest layer of super fine dust powder evenly distributed over it. I was amazed, I would have been happy if the DD had trapped 90% but it trapped 99.9% allowing only a spoonful of the finest of fine powder through.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000010&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}

Bill Huber
01-23-2014, 9:05 AM
I agree, the Dust Deputy is the way to go, get it and then find a swimming pool cleaning company and see if you can get one of there used chemical bucks. The buckets are larger and heavier then most and have a screw on lid which is really nice.

Art Mann
01-23-2014, 10:26 AM
I have experience with the Dust Right separator and I can not recommend it. The device does a great job of keeping the vac canister from filling up but it does very little to prevent fine dust from clogging my HEPA filter. I have to clean it just about as often as I did before I started using the Dust Right. I'm planning on getting the Oneida Dust Deputy.

Steve Gojevic
01-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I agree, the Dust Deputy is the way to go, get it and then find a swimming pool cleaning company and see if you can get one of there used chemical bucks. The buckets are larger and heavier then most and have a screw on lid which is really nice.

I have a swimming pool and have one of those screw-on lid chemical buckets. Other than smelling of chlorine, it should work. I thinks it about 50% bigger than a regular 5-gallon pail.

Steve

Dave Cullen
01-23-2014, 2:26 PM
I just acquired a dust deputy but haven't installed it yet. Got a 5 gallon pail with lid from Home Depot. Haven't yet found a 10 gallon pail.

Joe Kaufman
01-23-2014, 2:48 PM
Another vote for the Dust Deputy and chlorine pellet bucket w/screw on lid. The HD plastic bucket will most likely collapse. The seal between the bucket and lid is important. If air is entering, it will carry the fines back through the center vortex of the cyclone and into the filter.

Rick Potter
01-23-2014, 5:11 PM
Dust deputy also, but don't forget the Clearvue mini. I have one of each, and the mini seems to work better with a high powered vac. Both work well, though.

Rick Potter

Bill Huber
01-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Dust deputy also, but don't forget the Clearvue mini. I have one of each, and the mini seems to work better with a high powered vac. Both work well, though.

Rick Potter

Do you have the older Mini CV06 or the new one, I have the older one and it works really good. I compared the Dust deputy and the Mini CV06 at one time and found the Mini CV06 did a little better at the fine dust, just a little.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?113678-The-shoot-out-Mini-CV06-vs-Dust-Deputy&highlight=dust+deputy

Rick Potter
01-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Hi, Bill,

I have had the older one, with an old shop vac, set up on my chop saw for years. I have a DD attached to another shop vac for portability, and I recently bought another Mini to use with a 2" ASB system I am going to install in one area permanently for sanding, small router table, etc. Can't decide where it will go yet. Still arranging the shop after 6-7 years. Going to get rid of several large tools.

Rick Potter

Bill Huber
01-24-2014, 2:12 PM
Hi, Bill,

I have had the older one, with an old shop vac, set up on my chop saw for years. I have a DD attached to another shop vac for portability, and I recently bought another Mini to use with a 2" ASB system I am going to install in one area permanently for sanding, small router table, etc. Can't decide where it will go yet. Still arranging the shop after 6-7 years. Going to get rid of several large tools.

Rick Potter

I would like to see how the new mini compares to the old CV06 when you get it all going.

Rick Potter
01-24-2014, 2:32 PM
Well, Bill,

I can tell you that my rich buddy has a new mini on a 5 gal. bucket, along with a shop vac, sitting on a shelf about 8' up on the wall of his shop, with a hose from his old Fein vac draped over his workbench. He likes it, and it takes up no floor space.

Rick P

Gary Fortin
02-05-2014, 1:06 AM
I have a big ridgid shop vac I use for smaller tools like the disc sander and for vac'ing debris that hit the floor from other stuff and the pleated filter stays clean for a long long time due to buying and using the vac bags made for that model. Suction stays strong without much change as the bags fill. When I change the bag (every few months) the filter still looks decent :-) I vac it with a second vac just because i should, but it doesn't even really need it. Also no dusty mess emptying with the bags.

William C Rogers
02-05-2014, 4:54 AM
I have the DD and highly recommend it. I use it with a vac for sanding and when I do dovetailing, so not a lot of volumn. I didn't like the normal 5 gallon bucket so I just made a wood box about 3 gallons for collection. I put a drywall bag in the vac and a fine filter. I have filled the 3 gallon collection twice mostly from sanding and there is less than a handful in the drywall bag. Just make sure everything is sealed very well.

Steve Gojevic
02-05-2014, 7:34 AM
I like the vac bag idea, but there is a problem. I have a Sears shopvac that is one of the models (1990s) that is low and wide. Its a 16 gallon model, but unlike most of the shopvacs, the intake is not a port in the side of the barrel, but is in the top plastic cover with the motor. In addition, there is a molded flap that sits across the intake about 2 inches away from the end. I guess the intent of this flap is to deflect incoming debris downward so it doesn't go right at the filter. When I vacuum up anything longer than 3 inches or so it usually gets stuck between the intake and the flap. I could cut the flap off, but I still have the intake in the cover. This means the bag opening would pull off the intake if I remove the cover. I'm not sure how hard it would be to attach the bag to the intake. Maybe I could attach the bag to the cover and the slide the bag into the base while putting the cover on. The bags I have seen at the big box stores made for 16 gal vacs are smaller diameter and taller than my vac.

Looks like I'll have to get my model number and see if Sears carries a special bag for it. I noticed on their web site that one of the QS (quiet) series shopvac looks like my setup (low profile and intake in cover), so maybe thos ebags would fit.

Steve

Rick Potter
02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
For Dust Deputies, I would recommend considering the smallest vac with the largest HP you can find. The vac capacity is not needed. I currently have two with 16 gal vacs on them, and they take up a lot of space. I have been looking around for new ones. Lowes carries some wall hangers that look pretty good, along with a contractor model that is pretty small.

Rick Potter