PDA

View Full Version : Bench mobility suggestions needed

Paul Erickson
06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
I am building a small workbench. One prime requirement is going to be the ability to easily move it back into a storage locker after each work session. I know I can put it on swivel castors, but I am afraid the locking mechanisms will not be strong enough to keep the bench stable while using hand places. I am looking for ideas for either getting the castors out of the way when the bench is in use or some other means of ensuring stability, while not hampering mobility to the point that the bench is too much of a hassle to move, and then less likely to be used.

The bench will use trestle support with a tool chest built underneath.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Roy Wall
06-14-2005, 1:00 PM
Paul,

You could bore (and cement) a threaded nut into the concrete, and then center the bolt (typically 3/8- 1/2" dia. ) on the end stretcher(s) and tighten down to prevent any movement. The trick would be alignment of the two holes but it will hold really well. I like the idea of rolling it away if you need the space.....

Paul Erickson
06-14-2005, 1:08 PM
Paul,

You could bore (and cement) a threaded nut into the concrete, and then center the bolt (typically 3/8- 1/2" dia. ) on the end stretcher(s) and tighten down to prevent any movement. The trick would be alignment of the two holes but it will hold really well. I like the idea of rolling it away if you need the space.....

Hi Roy, thanks for the thought, but boring a hole in the concrete floor where I will be working, is not an option. When I leave the work area, I have to make sure it looks like I was never there.

cheers, Paul

Roy Wall
06-14-2005, 1:36 PM
Hi Roy, thanks for the thought, but boring a hole in the concrete floor where I will be working, is not an option. When I leave the work area, I have to make sure it looks like I was never there.

cheers, Paul

Ahhhhhhhhh,, no can do then!!!

Well, what about a mobile base stand - cabinet saw grade - and retrofit to the bench footprint?

Paul Erickson
06-14-2005, 2:12 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh,, no can do then!!!

Well, what about a mobile base stand - cabinet saw grade - and retrofit to the bench footprint?

Was thinking of that. Is there one in particular you would recomment?

Kevin Beck
06-14-2005, 2:26 PM
Norm Abram built an assembly (assembully) table a few years ago that was on casters that could be lifted up that was pretty neat. You might check out the New Yankee workshop web site for details.

Kevin

Jerry Palmer
06-14-2005, 2:52 PM
I think American Woodworker had a tip this most recent issue that might be of interest in this application. They used it on a band saw, but it would work on a bench. They mounted fairly large fixed casters perpendicular to the legs, such that the wheels were just barely touching the floor. A slight lift of the other end would lift that end up onto the wheels and off of the legs slightly, engaging the wheels. Some sort of step jack with a wheel on the end to be lifted would do the trick.

Tyler Howell
06-14-2005, 3:09 PM
Many in the same mobil/space situation will nose the bench up to a wall or other non moving object to get more stability for hand tool use.

As has been said in this forum getting the bench off its wheels and on to it's base is the most stable.
Norm's work table has a caster feature that trips up when not in use and falls into place when needed.
Good luck.

Dan Forman
06-14-2005, 4:38 PM
Woodsmith has a plan for a "roll-around table saw stand" which uses a shop made cam mechanism to engage the castors which could easily be adapted to a workbench. It can be found in Vol 18/ No 107.

Dan

Jim Becker
06-14-2005, 6:04 PM
Put two casters on the heaviest end of the bench...I used an old computer rack caster set on my previous bench. Mount things so they do NOT touch the floor when the bench is flat on its feet, but do engage the floor when you lift up the other end. They both should be fully swiveling casters...ball type is even better. You can now very easily move the bench with little effort. I sold that bench to John Shuk so I can't provide a picture at this point.

Zahid Naqvi
06-15-2005, 4:34 PM
Put two casters on the heaviest end of the bench...I used an old computer rack caster set on my previous bench. Mount things so they do NOT touch the floor when the bench is flat on its feet, but do engage the floor when you lift up the other end. They both should be fully swiveling casters...ball type is even better. You can now very easily move the bench with little effort. I sold that bench to John Shuk so I can't provide a picture at this point.

Great minds think alike ;) ;) I have the exact same setup on my contractor saw and router table. Locking casters on only two legs, any time you want to move it around; unlock the casters, lift the other end and you should be able to roll it around. It is pretty stable, if you need more support rest it against a wall as Tyler suggested. If you are applying so much force with hand planes that it makes your work bench slide perhaps you need to sharpen you blades :D
I've also found that gluing a strip of rubber to the regular legs improves traction quite a bit.