PDA

View Full Version : F150 Owners -- Woodworking Related Question

Matt Meiser
01-22-2014, 11:07 PM
We just signed papers to buy a new to us 2010 F150 to replace our 2009 F150. Going from a 2WD XLT to a well loaded 4WD Lariat. One of the features on the new one is the tailgate step which I really look forward to after a serious ankle sprain jumping out of the bed of a truck about 13 years ago which I still feel that from time to time. Anyway, looks like the step handle might stick up a little. Anyone run into problems carrying sheet goods with the tailgate down? If so, any tips? Figure worse case a 2x4 to lift the bottom sheet will fix it?

curtis rosche
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM
We just signed papers to buy a new to us 2010 F150 to replace our 2009 F150. Going from a 2WD XLT to a well loaded 4WD Lariat. One of the features on the new one is the tailgate step which I really look forward to after a serious ankle sprain jumping out of the bed of a truck about 13 years ago which I still feel that from time to time. Anyway, looks like the step handle might stick up a little. Anyone run into problems carrying sheet goods with the tailgate down? If so, any tips? Figure worse case a 2x4 to lift the bottom sheet will fix it?

Never had a problem with it and sheet goods, but I always did it with the tailgate up

Jeff Erbele
01-23-2014, 5:53 AM
Two trucks ago I had a 1999 Silverado extended cab with a 6.5' bed, so I always had to carry sheet goods with the tail gate down. I never had any problems but I always tied down the load. It had built-in tie-down points and I added a bunch more.

I always tie down the load. I witnessed something in high school that sticks with me today. Our school bus was following a pickup hauling 3/4" plywood at highway speeds. Conditions were that wind somehow cause a sheet to blow out of his truck box. He was some distance ahead of the school bus, but that sheet flew like a kite, 50 - 75 feet in the air. As it was coming down it appeared like it might come thru the windshield, four foot edge first. Lucky it cleared the bus but had it not, it would have been a certain tragedy. To add irony, it was our HS math teacher driving the pickup.

Matt Meiser
01-23-2014, 8:54 AM
Never had a problem with it and sheet goods, but I always did it with the tailgate up

I often do that for pipe, 2x4s, etc, etc but larger loads I've always done the tailgate down as its easier to load and unload. Looking at pictures, it looks like the plastic liner panel inside the tailgate solves the problem I was thinking I might have. They are supposed to deliver the truck to me today as I needed to remove my tonneau cover, tool box, etc, and they needed to change the oil on the new one.

Jeff Monson
01-23-2014, 12:12 PM
I often do that for pipe, 2x4s, etc, etc but larger loads I've always done the tailgate down as its easier to load and unload. Looking at pictures, it looks like the plastic liner panel inside the tailgate solves the problem I was thinking I might have. They are supposed to deliver the truck to me today as I needed to remove my tonneau cover, tool box, etc, and they needed to change the oil on the new one.

It does stick up a little Matt, no issues though as the plastic cover is molded so things wont catch on it. I use that tailgate step all the time, its a great thing. Enjoy the new truck, I sure like mine. Did you get a 5.4l?

Matt Meiser
01-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Yes. That's a step up too--current truck is the 24V 4.6.

George Bokros
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
I didn't know they offered the tailgate step on the 150's, thought they were only on the 250's and 350's.

George

Matt Meiser
01-23-2014, 1:45 PM
I know it was available in 09 when I bought that truck new, just wasn't on the one I chose off the dealer lot.

Jim Rimmer
01-23-2014, 5:44 PM
Apparently it depends on option packages. I have a 2010 Lariat with lots of bells and whistles but no step. Wish I did, though.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2014, 7:40 AM
Yes, when I used Fords tool to regenerate the window (http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFX1EV8AFB12978) sticker it was explicitly called out. Not a cheap option. Not a cheap truck either.

Also noticed this one has "lift assist" on the tailgate. Not that I had trouble but my wife and daughter will like that. It came with a drop in bedliner which I'm not crazy about and I'm going to have to hack a few pieces off to mount my Bakflip tonneau cover. Got the garage heating so I can do that this evening.

Is it advisable to use the front tow hooks on these things to actually pull anything (like if I get the tractor or zero turn mower stuck--not that that ever happens :rolleyes:.) Or should I get an insert with a shackle for the back?

George Bokros
01-24-2014, 7:58 AM
The tow hooks should be attached to the frame, at least they are on my Ranger Sport 4X4.

If you plan to keep the truck it might be worthwhile to get a LineX spray in bed liner and get rid of the drop in. The drop in's cause rust underneath them.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2014, 8:22 AM
Yep, I'm a fan of Line-X. I had it in the old truck and we had our Kawasaki Mule's bed sprayed this past summer. But its a good chunk of change I'm not crazy about spending right now.

Mike Wilkins
01-24-2014, 9:20 AM
Another LineX user and lover here. Had a drop-in liner in a previous truck and they will rub through the bed, causing rust and abrasions in short time. Will add value to the truck as well.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2014, 9:40 AM
BTW, it was delivered yesterday evening.

ken masoumi
01-24-2014, 11:03 AM
That's a good looking truck Matt,I hope it will serve you well.
Ever since I have retired to a rural area in Ontario I have had many occasions that a truck like yours(4X4) would have come in handy and now I'm seriously thinking of buying a good used one.still will keep the 2 door honda civic though.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2014, 2:00 PM
Uh...so guess I am doing Line-X. Went out at lunch to take a look at installing my cover and a tool box I have. Tool box wont work at all with the liner, cover requires hacking away the upper corners of the bed liner. By the time I mess around with it its not worth it on the time/money spectrum. Line-X can do it Monday morning. Guess the cold isn't an issue at all. The bring it in and put a few heat lamps on the inside surfaces while they do all the prep work, and the Line-X material itself is sprayed hot and instantly takes off any remaining chill.

George Bokros
01-24-2014, 2:52 PM
Very nice looking truck Matt. White pickups are my favorite color. My Ranger is white. I would love to have F150 but could not justify the fuel cost when I was driving 75 miles per day to work.

George

Matt Meiser
01-26-2014, 11:23 PM
After a weekend of horrible weather all I'm have to add is that I should have bought a 4WD truck 5 years ago!

Rick Moyer
01-27-2014, 10:46 AM
Thumbs up on the 4WD. My only ever pick-up, and my only ever new vehicle, was a 1990 Ford Ranger 2WD. That was a nice driving vehicle but I could get stuck in wet grass with it! Ever since then I've had Suburban/Yukon XL's, and couldn't be happier with them (except fuel mileage). They have the utility of a pick-up with the benefit of having your cargo locked up when needed. What I wouldn't want "inside" I have a trailer for. Sometimes a pick-up would be better but usually the Suburban has been overall better for my needs. I do like the new Ford pickups.
One thing to remember, if you get too bold with the 4WD, is something my Uncle said years ago: "4WD just gets you stuck further back in!"

George Bokros
01-27-2014, 4:14 PM
One thing to remember, if you get too bold with the 4WD, is something my Uncle said years ago: "4WD just gets you stuck further back in!"

Yes that can sure happen. True story.....

When I was a teenager my mother did not like driving in the snow so Dad bought a Jeep Wagoneer 4X4 for her to drive in the winter. Shortly after getting it he took Mom and went to a shopping center not far from where we lived. The center was small so they did not plow the entire parking lot but just enough for the shoppers. They also plowed diagonally from one entrance to the one on the opposite corner. They left all the show that came off the sides of the plow. Dad told Mom the Jeep could easily drive through that snow that was approximately 2 feet deep. So he was going to drive through it except the snow had thawed a little then re froze. The front wheels of the Wagoneer climbed right up the refrozen snow and continued until all four wheels were off the ground, the Wagoneer was sitting on the snow bank on its frame.

Two guys in another Jeep came by and stopped, they laughed then pulled Dad out.

Yes you can get into trouble with 4X4. I have several other stories like this one, one involves my son but I will save that one for another day.

George

Matt Meiser
01-27-2014, 4:45 PM
I'm not really a daredevil. I just want to be able to be able to get out! I guess the previous owners of our house's teenage daughters had some friends over riding 4 wheelers out back. The story goes that they had 3 or 4 of those, his tractor, and 2 trucks stuck trying to get the first 4 wheeler unstuck. I've only had the tractor and an old 2wd Ranger I had a couple years stuck at different times out there.

Just got the truck back from the Line-X "install." Boy they do a nice job. While picking it up I had a nice chat with the Line-X corporate guy who was paying the local franchise a visit. I think it made his day hearing this was my 3rd liner from them. Got it in the garage re-thawing so I can get my Bakflip cover and tool box installed.