PDA

View Full Version : A Few Bottle Stoppers

Dok Yager
01-22-2014, 10:47 PM
280625 Here are a few bottle stoppers just so you know I have been doing some turning. #1 African Mahli #2 Zebrawood #3 Curapay #4 Cocobalo #5 Bloodwood #6 Leopardwood. Some of then fit over the top of the bottle and some just fit into them. All done on my little Nova Comet II.

James Combs
01-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Nice variety and some "out-of-the-box" shapes. Been wanting to try some of the over the bottle top style myself but tend to forget about it when actually turning. Keep em coming.

Dok Yager
01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks James! I kind of like doing unusual and "out of the box" styles like the Baseball Bat one. The Zebrawood one is fashioned after the Only wine bottle that looks like a whisky bottle. Its from a wine called Vin Janue its from the Jura region in France.

Thomas Canfield
01-23-2014, 9:25 PM
Nice variety. Are you using the plastic or cork seals? I saw that you are using a Nova Comet II and wonder how it is performing for you. I bought one a year ago, and had some initial issues, but have learned most of the limitations and now enjoy using it for smaller work, finishing, sanding, and buffing. I did have to replace the start/stop switch last week, but the new one had a different feel from the original which may have been "weak" to start. I posted a review not too long after getting some kinks worked out and you might want to check for some modifications to use, especially if you are planning on doing larger pieces.

Dok Yager
01-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Thomas I am using 304 stainless stoppers I got from this site: http://nilesbottlestoppers.com/stoppers.html#Special She is very nice and there is a wealth of info on her site. As far as my Nova I too had a couple of small issues and they were quickly resolved by Teknatool. I have done some handles for pizza cutters as well as bottle openers and a couple of pens. Then I made a few bowls and managed to work around some of my issues. The Nova works very well and I like it, but there is a "much" larger lathe in my future.

Thomas Canfield
01-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Dok, I could not see the stainless under the wood in the photo. My main lathe is a Powermatic 3520B and the mass and 2 HP does wonders to tame rough wood. I did turn aa 12" piece of rough blank on my Nova Comet at the slow belt setting just to say that I did, but it was a slow go and likely to be my last. The power on the mid belt speed is so much better and that brings the size range down to the 8" and under range for roughing, but insides up to the 12" limit work pretty well. Enjoy the Comet while you plan on the larger lathe.