PDA

View Full Version : No. 76 Was a Problem Child...

James Combs
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
... Eastern Red Cedar with WOP finish.

This little change or candy bowel gave me fits trying to get a good WOP finish on it. Had to strip it down twice, finally had to practically drown it in lacquer sanding sealer to get a surface that would "dry" the WOP. Apparently the cedar oils do not get along with the WOP because if the WOP is applied to the bare wood it does not cure. It will stay tacky for days to the point that it can be cleaned off with mineral spirits days later. Anyway it finally turned out OK.

Material = Eastern Red Cedar Heart Wood
Finish = SG-WOP and then Beal triple buff.
Diameter = 6.25"
Height = 1-5/8"
Wall Thickness = 3/16"-1/4"

C&C appreciated.
Thanks for looking

Edit: added Heart wood and wall thickness notes.

Lori Kleinberg
01-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Well, I think the extra work paid off. That dish is beautiful.

Lee Koepke
01-23-2014, 8:32 AM
Thats some pretty wood!

I had the same issue with some cedar I did. I did like 10 bowls and some were quick and easy finish, some just resisted and resisted and resisted. I used WOP on a couple and rattle laquer on the others.

William Bachtel
01-23-2014, 8:39 AM
Cedar is soft, and the oils in it don't help much. I had the same problem with some cedar.

louis pittman
01-24-2014, 9:40 PM
What finish would you use on cedar heart wood & some sap wood

James Combs
01-25-2014, 8:53 PM
Well, I think the extra work paid off. That dish is beautiful.
Thanks Lori, I think it turned out well finally. Sure makes the shop smell nice.:cool:

Thats some pretty wood!
I had the same issue with some cedar I did. I did like 10 bowls and some were quick and easy finish, some just resisted and resisted and resisted. I used WOP on a couple and rattle laquer on the others.
Thanks Lee, I like it because it turns well. May have a little more tendency to crack but it does turn well but your experience and mine are very similar.

Cedar is soft, and the oils in it don't help much. I had the same problem with some cedar.
Thanks for responding William, appears that anyone turning Cedar has pretty much the same problem.

What finish would you use on cedar heart wood & some sap wood
Hi Louis, my best results come from using rattle can lacquer as a sealer prior to applying my final finish.

Depending on the item my final finish may be additional coats of lacquer, such as on ornaments, bottlestoppers, etc. or Semigloss WOP for bowls and similar larger items.