PDA

View Full Version : My Mobile Solution for My New J/P Combo

Mike Shields
01-22-2014, 8:09 PM
Mini Max did not offer a factory mobile base for my new FS30 J/P. It was suggested to use a HTC base, but have never liked anything "universal", and that base does not get good reviews. My solution was to use a sawstop ICS mobile base, which BTW, is a great base.

The J/P was longer by 1/2" and would not allow the just a "drop it in" situation. The width has just enough clearance to fit without issue. I spent some time looking at my ICS base for my PCS, and determined it could be done. The limitation of the base is a round stock bar (visible in the last 2 pics) that is used for support at the rear L brackets/pivot point.

I didn't want to modify the base, as the J/P weighs approx 650 lbs (the ICS base will hold 1000 lbs). My solution was to add 1 3/4" solid stock (allowing for slight wood compression), that would raise the J/P rear legs over top of the steel bar, and allow the lift to move freely; 360 degrees on a dime. While the steel support straps are only 2" wide, I added 4" wide stock for the 5" J/P legs; the machine is solid when the lift is down.

Check out the pics:

I'm pretty happy with the end result, and the added height shouldn't be an issue. Oh yeah, I did all this by myself with nothing but leverage, wood, and my back.

Hopefully, some of you might find this useful, as the ICS mobile base (while expensive), is a great base compared to what else is out there.

Mike

Rich Riddle
01-22-2014, 8:30 PM
The base you made looks just fine. Just so you know, HTC makes some welded steel bases. That's what my Minimax FS35 rests on. They have a much higher quality than the HTC 2000 and HTC 3000 to which you refer. Those models leave a lot to be desired as you indicated. Grizzly also sells a base that's decent in quality and can hold the weight your Minimax exhibits.

Curt Harms
01-23-2014, 9:55 AM
Nice solution.