PDA

View Full Version : I haven't posted any work for a while so here's a recent Hard maple vessel

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
280528 Hard maple vessel 14" tall by 6 1/4" dia. wall thickness of 3/16". It's finished with acrylic paints & high gloss varnish. I did this piece by a request. I don't know that I'm sold on the finish but it's just as requested.
I still struggle with pictures of high gloss.

Thanks for looking & Critique's & comments requested.

Geoff Gaudet
01-22-2014, 1:03 PM
Beautiful, and a very classic form.

Don't know that I'm sold on high gloss finish, either...I prefer a minimalist finish, myself.

Harry Robinette
01-22-2014, 8:26 PM
Joe

That is one beautiful piece of work, I really like the color,shape,wood really nice piece.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-22-2014, 8:45 PM
Beautiful, and a very classic form.

Don't know that I'm sold on high gloss finish, either...I prefer a minimalist finish, myself.

Thanks Geoff, I use a lot high gloss finishes and like that part. It's the color's and the some what faded, worn look to them that somewhat bothers me a little.

Ray Bell
01-22-2014, 9:17 PM
Very nice Joe, would you mind sharing the paint colors and application technique?

Jeff Nicol
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Joe, As always a great job and I think I like the colors of Ketchup and Mustard! The gloss finish works well for this piece and you got a pretty good picture of it.

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2014, 9:52 AM
[QUOTE=Jeff Nicol;2213876]Joe, As always a great job and I think I like the colors of Ketchup and Mustard! The gloss finish works well for this piece and you got a pretty good picture of it.

Keep up the good work,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Some how ketchup & mustard never even crossed my mind. I usually never title my work but you may be on to something here.:D

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2014, 9:54 AM
Joe

That is one beautiful piece of work, I really like the color,shape,wood really nice piece.

Thanks for looking & commenting Harry.

James Combs
01-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Very nice Joe, not crazy about the color but execution and finish look outstanding. BTW what hollowing rig are you using to get that deep?

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-23-2014, 9:00 PM
Very nice Joe, not crazy about the color but execution and finish look outstanding. BTW what hollowing rig are you using to get that deep?

Thanks James for your comments, My hollowing system is from Advanced lathe tools. I have several sizes of there boring bars. This one I did with the 1" boring bar.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-24-2014, 6:17 PM
Very nice Joe, would you mind sharing the paint colors and application technique?

Thanks Ray, both colors I used are transparent acrylic artist paints. Applied with a airbrush, then randomly rubbed & buffed off with strips of old denim jeans. Then top coated with high gloss varnish.