PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Gauge Blocks

Jim Koepke
01-21-2014, 7:38 PM
Here is something that comes in handy for many things:

Most recently they came in handy for installing some hardware that needed to be spaced 3/4" from the edge of a wall. Not shown is that one of them has a crude ruler drawn on the other side. These are about 7".

It is used mostly for showing scale in images of other things:

jtk

Winton Applegate
01-22-2014, 11:07 PM
Yes !
That reminds me. I have looked for metric "One, two, three blocks" (http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Matched-Hardened-Precision-Machinist/dp/B00BGBOJZO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390449101&sr=8-3&keywords=one+two+three+blocks) for ever and have found none. Maybe I should at least make some from purple heart or some such.
Thanks for posting.
Do you have several of different thicknesses or the one ?
Masonite and particle board work pretty well for some quick ones that are often good enough accuracy wise. Stack them in different combinations to make up a repeatable dimension.

Jim Koepke
01-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Do you have several of different thicknesses or the one ?

These two are the only ones in this set.

I do have an anti rack spacer stack:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743-Anti-Rack-Spacer-Stack

There is a 1/16" and a 1"X 2" X 3" block that goes with it.

They usually are easy to make as needed.

jtk

Jim Neeley
01-23-2014, 12:39 AM
It may be heresy to say this here but I have a couple of blocks of 1" MDF I keep in my TS drawer to use as a spacer when I'm cross-cutting and want to use my fence to gauge length. It's a very handy safety device if you're not 100% Neander.

Jim

Jim Koepke
01-23-2014, 1:41 AM
It may be heresy to say this here but I have a couple of blocks of 1" MDF I keep in my TS drawer to use as a spacer when I'm cross-cutting and want to use my fence to gauge length. It's a very handy safety device if you're not 100% Neander.

Jim

Setting up a table saw was one thought of mine for a good use, even though there isn't a TS in my shop.

I think of Neander as a state of mind more than what tools one uses to get there. Though I do see the connection of using tools made before there were electrons to be slaughtered inside the bellies of tailed apprentices.

jtk