PDA

View Full Version : Breathing clean air

Harry Robinette
01-21-2014, 7:22 PM
I have tried the Trend original which was to front heavy for me. I then tried the Trend Airshield pro and it gave me a head ache within 20 minutes of use,my Doc said problem from the very fine vibration in the fan.I'm asking if anyone using something else has an idea. I'm looking at a Airsteam helmet but am afraid it will be just like the Trend Airshield pro cause of the fan location. I don't want to have to have a tub following me but it's looking that way. Any Idea's Please.
Thanks for any and all help.

Ralph Lindberg
01-21-2014, 7:25 PM
Is the Triton still available anywhere? http://www.amazon.com/Flagline-PRA001-Triton-Powered-Respirator/dp/B0000DEZO8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Brian Libby
01-21-2014, 7:44 PM
3M makes an excellent system - you can also hook up to an air compressor for air supply
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/supplied-air-respirator-system
look under powered air respirators

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-21-2014, 7:54 PM
Sounds like some expensive trial and error! :eek:

Harry Robinette
01-21-2014, 8:10 PM
Ralph, I'll be checking on the Triton to night.
Brian, that's the way I think I'm going to have to go but really don't want to have the hose.
Robert, luckily they all gave me my money but I'm just getting tiered of guessing.
Thanks allot

John Thorson
01-21-2014, 8:42 PM
If you've seen the Glenn Lucas videos you'll see a glimpse of him in a powered air system with a very light head cover. There are lab folks and certain operating rooms (Mayo, Rochester, MN) where the staff wear something along this line for much of the work day. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/air-mate-12-system-assembly.html There are more heavy duty systems for wood turning but wearing safety glasses under this lightweight head gear might be something to think about... pricey but just trying to help.

Don Nicholas
01-21-2014, 8:45 PM
3M makes an excellent system - you can also hook up to an air compressor for air supply
http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/supplied-air-respirator-system
look under powered air respirators

Caution! I think I remember something other than an "oilless compressor" should only be used.
Someone smarter than me should chime in.

Brian Libby
01-21-2014, 9:27 PM
David Lancaster ( heirloombowls.com)had a set up that used an air compressor with the 3M system.

Allan Ferguson
01-21-2014, 9:28 PM
Definitely do not use an oil type compressor.

Scott Hackler
01-21-2014, 9:37 PM
Harry, if you end up with a system that needs a hose... Buy a micro hose for nail guns. They are real small diameter and light weight.

Ben Darrah
01-21-2014, 9:55 PM
Harry,

I wear an underarmour skull cap under my air shield pro and it eliminates the vibration. It was bothering me too when I first used it. A thicker hat would probably do more to reduce it.

Thom Sturgill
01-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Just watched a JoHannes Mickelson video on wood hats. He wore a system that looked like the 3m Versaflow (about $1300 - $1500 depending on helmet options). NIOSH approved, + hard hat and faceshield (Z87.1 or Z89.1 depending on model). Weight again depends on model S100 helmet is 1.4 lb while the M300 is 1.9lb.

Bill Boehme
01-21-2014, 11:48 PM
The turners that I know who have tried the Triton hate it. I tried one out and also did not like it. Besides being hot and uncomfortable and insufficient airflow, the filter isn't anything to brag about.

Some people like the Trend and others say it bothers their neck and feels top heavy. I have a friend who also has that complaint.

I have a 3M Airstream and love it. It costs less than the Versaflow, but still is expensive. I do not feel any vibration -- only the noise, but earmuffs will take care of that. It has a HEPA filter so there is no dust --not even any smell of wood.

Geoff Gaudet
01-22-2014, 1:32 AM
In my "Hello" thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?212903-Hello), I posted a pic of myself at the lathe--wearing an Airmate system very much like the one John Thorson linked to above. You wear the battery powered filter/blower unit on a waist belt, and a hose runs up to the headpiece...I have both the industrial hardhat/faceshield combo and the lightweight Tyvek head cover you see me wearing in my pic.

This system works great. I used it for both industrial use and woodturning, but over the years it's gotten a bit tired, and while I may still use it for turning, for my occasional industrial usage I recently picked up a "Breathe-Cool" system (http://www.turbineproducts.com/fresh-air-respirators.html), and I think I'm gonna get their "Bump Cap" headpiece and use it for turning. The Breathe Cool uses a blower, NOT a compressor (be very careful with compressors for breathing, oil in the compressed air can be dangerous to your health). It's less expensive than a breathing air compressor, or even the Air Mate, but I'm completely happy with it.

Harry Robinette
01-22-2014, 2:00 AM
THANKS ALL
You've all given me allot of info to look into and hopefully find something that will work for me. I knew if I ask here I'd get enough info to find what I needed Thanks to all and I'll let everyone know what I decide to do.

Grant Wilkinson
01-22-2014, 1:32 PM
On other thing, Harry, for 3M systems, Ebay is your friend. I got a full, but older 3M system for under $200. It even included spare parts. I've since had to make a battery pack for it, but other than that, it's been great.

Mike Cruz
01-22-2014, 2:07 PM
Harry, in general, the clean air discussion kinda make me chuckle. Not that I don't believe that wood dust is bad for us, but rather that I breathe in so much dust (wood and dirt) otherwise, that being too particular about it in the shop gives me a giggle.

That said, I have a 5 hp cyclone in my shop (not a bagged unit). And I've got 6" pipe piped straight to each machine. I've also got 3, yes, 3 air cleaners hung in my shop...to catch air born particles where I create them. SO, here's what I do: When turning dry wood, I turn on the DC (with a 6" port right on the other side of the turning), and I turn on the air filter above the lathe. I rarely, when blowing my nose after turning, blow out...dark snot.

I'm sorry that I can't give you any advice on a ventilating face shield. But maybe it will be enough for you, since you seem to be having difficulties with the Trend...

Thom Sturgill
01-22-2014, 4:30 PM
Harry, in general, the clean air discussion kinda make me chuckle. Not that I don't believe that wood dust is bad for us, but rather that I breathe in so much dust (wood and dirt) otherwise, that being too particular about it in the shop gives me a giggle.

Not something I giggle about anymore. I had my lathe set up in a back room a the house we rented a while back. Dust got throughout the house and my wife had a crafting table in the same room. She had to retire from teaching because of a persistent cough. She still has the cough three years later. The Diagnosis is either 'bronchial malacia' or 'reactive airway' depending on which doctor is talking. Reactive airway syndrome *could* have been caused by exposure to sanding dust, especially from rosewoods, but the jury is still out.

Jim Underwood
01-22-2014, 4:53 PM
I've tried both the Triton and the Trend Airshield Pro.

The Triton was the more comfortable and felt more protective. It came with hard hat and ear protection which I felt was a plus, but it was hot in the summer. The weight of the batteries and motor were in the fanny pack so alleviated the neck strain. The bubble face shield did kinda distort the view, and the airflow lacked enough that it fogged up pretty badly in the winter. I finally sold it here on the Creek and bought the Trend.

The Trend has much better airflow and the visibility is much better. The filtration is better also. It doesn't feel as protective (I know that's subjective), and the adjustments are lacking in order to get it to fit right. Also as mentioned above, it causes a lot of neck strain from the weight. In order to kinda keep the thing on my head in the right place, I have to tighten the head strap enough that it cuts off circulation in the scalp. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Trend could take a lot of pointers from the Bionix folks in how to make a face shield adjustable.

I'd try out whatever PAPR units you can get your hands on before you buy.

There's my two cents. It's worth what you paid for it. ;)

Mike Cruz
01-22-2014, 5:17 PM
Thom, that certainly wouldn't make me giggle, either! Yeah, if the dust from your shop is getting into/throughout your house, there is most certainly a problem.

allen long
01-22-2014, 8:45 PM
Use a dust collector! You can add shop air filter for addition control.

I actually cringe at all the bad science regarding dust collection I read in this forum. Based on a background in a life long long ago . . Long ago . . . contamination control is most effective when collected at the source. "Source" being the source of the contamination not the breathing zone (as someone claimed in another thread). The most hazardous particulates are the very fine wood particles the are actually the easiest to draw off the lathe with a dust collector. Think of trying to throw a feather vs a basketball - the smaller lighter particles (larger surface to volume ratio) will slow down much faster than the big stuff. The big stuff that tends to escape the collector is not very respirable. In industrial contamination control, respirators are only appropriate when all other means have been exhausted (no pun intended). Believe it or not, an inexpensive disposable dust mask will be pretty effective from a respiratory protection standpoint. I believe the original 3M dust masks were developed for protecting workers from alpha radiation particles.

I have tried to be brief (but could go on and on about the subject - including how to make the intake hood more efficient) but I will hold my tongue . . . for now

Many kind regards . . . Allen