PDA

View Full Version : PPA Polyphthalamide material

Bill Cunningham
01-21-2014, 3:59 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with this stuff as far as engraving/etching but not cutting

David Somers
01-21-2014, 4:15 PM
Bill,

I have an MSDS for this as used in water containers from a while back. It is usually used for injection molding containers, and I think sometimes it is rolled for linings, though I never thought of it as being flexible.

See if this is useful to you.

Dave

Bill Cunningham
01-21-2014, 6:53 PM
Thanks Dave i will have look at it.. This particular use is a 2" disk 3mm thick w/ a RFID tag imbedded so it's a pretty solid piece. They just want numbers engraved on them and I'm trying to get an idea of how engravable they might be, and fast I can do them..

David Somers
01-21-2014, 7:03 PM
Bill,

I am afraid I have no knowledge about how easily it engraves or what settings you might use. Hope the MSDS at least gives you some info about its safety though.
It does list melting points in the MSDS. Don't know if you can infer any settings from that? I have never seen anything in the engraving literature for translating that to an engraving setting, but it might be out there. Anyone know?

Good luck!

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
01-22-2014, 4:51 AM
Hiya Bill

http://www.synrad.com/synradinside/pdfs/LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf

Info from Synrad for RF based machines like yours

Looking at the MSDS it mentions "Toxic by products" in the fire section, it may be worth finding out what they are before processing. "Arsenic acid" seems to be one of them...

best wishes

Dave

Bill Cunningham
01-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Hiya Bill

http://www.synrad.com/synradinside/pdfs/LaserProcessingGuide_Plastics.pdf

Info from Synrad for RF based machines like yours

Looking at the MSDS it mentions "Toxic by products" in the fire section, it may be worth finding out what they are before processing. "Arsenic acid" seems to be one of them...

best wishes

Dave
Hmmm That seems to be not too good for the lungs
I'll dig a bit deeper..
Thanks Dave..

Joe Hillmann
01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
I have done some black plastic pieces that look like they are a similar material (automotive wire connectors). The c2 laser melted or burned the material a way but it was the same color and texture as the material so the light had to be perfect to be able to see the mark at all. When I tried the yag on them I could get anywhere from a white to gold to blueish color to the engraving.

Bill Cunningham
01-29-2014, 3:50 PM
Thanks Joe.. I'm going to pass on this job.. It was 10k-50k pieces and lasering consecutive numbers was going to be too slow/expensive.. I think they are going with pad printing of some type.. These pieces were 3mm thick, and had embedded RFI strips. I try to avoid unknown plastics particularly in large quantity jobs. You never know what your being exposed to until you fully research it..