PDA

View Full Version : Re-purposing old jointer knives

Matt Ranum
01-21-2014, 2:41 PM
While cleaning out some old cabinet space i found a set of old jointer blades from an old 4" electric jointer I used to have. Any ideas on re-purposing them to a usable tool? Would they be to thick for a marking knife?

Dave Cullen
01-21-2014, 2:51 PM
Are you a turner? I repurposed a 6" knife and made a nice center finder for marking the center of turning blanks. I could post a pic if you're interested.

Lee Reep
01-21-2014, 3:02 PM
Are you a turner? I repurposed a 6" knife and made a nice center finder for marking the center of turning blanks. I could post a pic if you're interested.

Or a parting tool? I saw a YouTube video on doing the same with an electric edger blade (lawn edger). Somewhere in my shop is a nice wood-handled kitchen knife that I had ground down to make a 1/16" parting tool. I used it a lot more than my 1/8" parting tool. I got the idea when I looked at some thin parting tools in woodworking catqlogs, and their handles looked like kitchen knife handles.

Matt Ranum
01-21-2014, 3:05 PM
Yup I do turn as well. Never considered making a turning tool or two from them. Pics would be great. :)

Winton Applegate
01-21-2014, 3:31 PM
I use all of mine to make throwing knives to help keep the paparazzi at bay.
But that's just me.

I'm pulling for ya
We are all in this together.

phil harold
01-21-2014, 3:56 PM
Hmmmm
great idea

Let me see how you did that!

Steve Voigt
01-21-2014, 4:39 PM
While cleaning out some old cabinet space i found a set of old jointer blades from an old 4" electric jointer I used to have. Any ideas on re-purposing them to a usable tool? Would they be to thick for a marking knife?

Definitely not to thick for a marking knife.

It's too thick for marking tiny dovetails, but I like having a more robust knife for other things.

Also, I made a marking gauge blade out of a jointer knife, pics here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211530-Some-new-gear).

Keith Bays
01-21-2014, 4:50 PM
could they be used for cutters for a Stanley 45 etc?

Jim Koepke
01-21-2014, 4:57 PM
I have a few turning tools made from old planer knives. Nothing fancy.

I have also used one to make a mini-froe for splitting dowel stock out of scrap.

I didn't drill it, it is just held in a makeshift handle by friction.

jtk

george wilson
01-21-2014, 5:10 PM
Just remember that HSS is brittle.

Matt Ranum
01-21-2014, 5:46 PM

Oh thats right, thanks for the reminder.

george wilson
01-21-2014, 5:50 PM
HSS is good for many uses. I would not recommend it for anything that will get hard twisting.

Matt Ranum
01-21-2014, 5:51 PM
Definitely not to thick for a marking knife.

It's too thick for marking tiny dovetails, but I like having a more robust knife for other things.

I like that knife! Looks like project #1 :D

Jim Koepke
01-21-2014, 7:32 PM
Here is a picture of my Mini-Froe:

I do not hit this with anything but a small wooden mallet, not the one in the picture. It gets very little torsion if any.

jtk

Jacob Nothstine
01-21-2014, 8:52 PM
Glue scraper

Lee Reep
01-21-2014, 9:00 PM
Here is the YouTube on making a parting tool with an edger blade. Cannot find my home-made parting tool, otherwise I'd post a picture! (Maybe I should check the knife drawer in the kitchen ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Joo-cBzsjQ

Bob Glenn
01-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I used mine to make a tapered tenon cutter to match my tapered reamer used for the legs on windsor chairs.

Winton Applegate
01-23-2014, 12:21 AM
OK so Xnay on the throwing knives.
Here is a more serious suggestion.
I am not sure if it would work or if the jointer knives are too narrow. Could even put in a holder (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,310&p=32669) like the Varitas but just a block of wood.
http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine-woodworking-knots/power-tools-and-machinery/making-card-scrapers

Jim Koepke
01-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Looked in my scrap today and one of the planer blades is maybe 10" long and seems to have a little flex to it. Are planer blades made of other material besides HSS?

It has a mark on it that looks li ok o all inside of a large C followed by a 1

I was thinking of using it to make a pair of skew chisels or perhaps a fishtail.

jtk

Jamie Schmitz
01-23-2014, 1:52 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?197588-Reuse-for-jointer-blade&p=2043204&highlight=#post2043204

Metod Alif
01-23-2014, 1:40 PM
Winton,
Are you saying that you do not have any old jointer knives?:confused:
Best wishes,
Metod

george wilson
01-23-2014, 3:03 PM
Jim,are you sure your 10" blade is not laminated with a thin HSS cutting edge? The original blades in my 15" Bridgewood thickness planer were laminated. Or,do you have a thin type of blade from a lunch box planer? The thin blades do have some flex to them,though I would not try bending them TOO much. Or,if you do,at lest bend them towards someone you do not like,such as the IRS agent at your door!!:)

Winton Applegate
01-26-2014, 1:32 PM
Are you saying that you do not have any old jointer knives?http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://278C4B12-AE8F-413C-A1BA-8AAD1F944367/confused.gif
My list of random replies :
Why what ever do you mean ? I have LOTS of jointer knives. No jointer knives . . . huh . . . no jointer knives he says . . .
or
Of coarse I don't have any jointer knives, I thought I made that perfectly clear. I have to throw all o mine at the paparazzi to survive. It's a jungle out there.
or
Well I plan on getting some . . .
. . . just as soon as I get a jointer.
I been saving up but you know how it is. Buy a plane here a chisel there. Takes all of my money just to support this habit. I, I, I, I'm not an addict though. I, I, I'm not addicted. I could stop any time.
Just like that.