PDA

View Full Version : Bad Weather Expected Tonight at The Creek

Keith Outten
01-21-2014, 1:49 PM
We are in the path of the East Coast storm here in Virginia that is expected to bring us some rain, cold, then some snow. The rain and snow are no big deal but cold weather after it rains generally means ice. The power lines where we live are older than anyone in this Community and they have been patched hundreds of times through the years so I expect we will lose both electricity and our Internet Service and it could be for one to three days.

Just a heads up folks, if you try to connect to The Creek and we have disappeared don't worry its just Mother Nature showing us whose the boss.

Maybe we will get lucky and ride this one out with the lights on :)

Dave Cullen
01-21-2014, 1:59 PM
Good luck and keep warm. My workplace is closing early here in CT and I intend to go home and make some sawdust... unless we lose power.

Bruce Page
01-21-2014, 1:59 PM
Hold on tight! It's times like this that retirement really shines.
We're in the mid 50's and sunny.

Don Morris
01-21-2014, 2:06 PM
We're just north of you in MD and after the Deracho, we got a generator that does the whole house. I was going out to shovel the first 3 - 4" of snow that's already on the driveway. But Snicker the cat (the one in the photo on my work bench) jumped up into my lap and I'm stuck here for a while. I just can't push him off, it's a treat. If I don't go out and shovel in shifts, it gets too high and is a real challenge. 4" at a time is manageable. Pray to the snow Gods Keith, maybe that'll work.

Michael Mahan
01-21-2014, 2:50 PM
We are in the path of the East Coast storm here in Virginia that is expected to bring us some rain, cold, then some snow. The rain and snow are no big deal but cold weather after it rains generally means ice.
it's gonna get to 70 here BUT I wish it would rain to tell the truth

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2014, 3:41 PM
Good luck Keith!

Steve Schlumpf
01-21-2014, 3:56 PM
Does not sound like any fun at all! Stay warm!

Dave Lehnert
01-21-2014, 5:14 PM
Thanks for the info.
Good luck.

Dennis Peacock
01-21-2014, 6:42 PM
Best of luck to all our east coast folks in the path of the storm.

Frederick Skelly
01-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up Keith. Hope everything is ok.
Fred

Keith Outten
01-22-2014, 1:05 PM
So far we have been fortunate with no loss of power. We only got about three inches of snow and the backroads are clear now in areas that are not shaded. Other than continued sub-normal cold weather, it looks like we can put this one behind us.

ken gibbs
01-22-2014, 5:11 PM
Keith,

We had 8" of damp powder on Tuesday and temps down to 01 F. I live in extreme Western Virginia and we had snow for over twelve hours. The thermometer raced all the way up to 16 F today with icy winds. No shop time possible in this weather. Hunker down and pray for shad bush blooms, mountain laurel blossems, and dry fly fishing.

Ken Gibbs

Keith Outten
01-23-2014, 8:16 AM
Ken,

Harsh weather for Virginia, even the western side of the state and I don't envy you at all. Here on the Coast we don't see those kinds of temperatures very often. Its 16 degrees here this morning with snow still on the ground and we had 12 degree temps a couple weeks ago so this is a memorable January for us.

Fortunately I installed a new split system heat pump last Summer in my workshop so my shop is very comfortable this Winter and I have been able to work day or night. I would be a dead duck if I didn't have the new system as I have recently picked up work for two local schools on top of the jobs I have on my regular schedule. I have also been spending some extra time turning pens for the Troops lately, we just can't keep up with the requests for pen these days, we are short delivering pens almost every week.

When Spring finally arrives it will be welcome this year. Normally I don't mind Winter anymore in fact I prefer the cooler temps to the hot Summers we have had the last few years. If February is even colder then this month I will no doubt be anticipating late March and the start of grass cutting season :)