PDA

View Full Version : grizzly GO723 contractor saw

Michelle Rich
01-21-2014, 9:46 AM
I have searched many sites & google and can't find much of anything on this saw. Anyone here have one? If so, what do you think of it? Has it worked well for you? thanks

scott spencer
01-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Do you mean the G0732 (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0732)? I don't own one, but note that it's not a full size saw...it's 25" deep vs 27" on a standard full size saw, meaning that items added later on like cast iron wings or an upgraded fence could be limited or harder to mount. There will also be a tad less operating room in front of the blade. I've never been overly impressed with that style fence. I'm often a fan of the value of Grizzly's table saws compared to it's competitors, but this one underwhelms a bit IMO.

glenn bradley
01-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Not that you need more opinion from someone who doesn't own one but, Scott and I have both previously owned hybrids. Hybrids, like contractor style saws are far from equal. There are some out there that really shine but, the larger footprint and so forth make me wonder about them ;-) Are you after a contractor format saw for a specific reason?

At any rate, if I were looking, this one would get a pass from me for the reasons Scott states as well as the price being so close to a much better saw. Grizzly rarely positions tools without a reason so I assume there is a demand for this saw at this price point. The challenge of growing with it is what stops me. A used 113. (Emerson) Craftsman saw for about $100 plus about $300 of add-ons would give you a superior machine IMHO.

Michelle Rich
01-21-2014, 3:51 PM
I need a small contractor type because of space restrictions...I am looking at the craftsman too..I just found it on sale for 449.00 at sears with free shipping to store. beats grizzly by 200.00 It is the same saw, I believe as the rigid which gets good reviews. Would I prefer the griz hybrid, sure, but not in the space I have available.
yes 732..sorry for the typo

John Schweikert
01-21-2014, 5:00 PM
If you need a small contractor saw then have a look at the Bosch 4100 with gravity stand. $569 with Amazon Prime shipped to your door. Great portable saw, accurate and trouble free for me for years. Either that or the similarly portable Ridgid R4510 saw and stand which gets very high reviews from both users and magazines. HD has it for 20% off at $399 right now.

Main reason I wouldn't buy anything NEW Craftsman is because they have a bad habit of discontinuing parts availability soon after a product is available. Also Craftsman in 2014 is not the Craftsman from my father's or grandfather's era.

There are plenty of very good saws out there. It's no different from other tools; it's just how well you can use it. I find no shortcomings with my Bosch. I too do not have space for an immovable full size table saw.

Maurice Hood
01-21-2014, 8:42 PM
I am also looking for a good contractor saw and recently read the reviews for the Craftsman 21833 and the Ridgid R4512. Anyone interested in either of these saws should go read the reviews. The Ridgid reviews are pretty good but the Craftsman reviews are not very good. Some of the Craftsman's were good but so many weren’t complimentary at all. I haven’t bought yet but I’m definitely considering the Ridgid. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

Nathan Callender
01-21-2014, 10:00 PM
I don't think a cabinet or hybrid saw is going to be any larger if you get the same sized rails. I wouldn't buy this saw and would rather get the current ridgid if price is an issue. The fence doesn't look great. Otherwise, I'd look for a cabinet saw with short rails.

Michelle Rich
01-22-2014, 6:45 AM
I am also looking for a good contractor saw and recently read the reviews for the Craftsman 21833 and the Ridgid R4512. Anyone interested in either of these saws should go read the reviews. The Ridgid reviews are pretty good but the Craftsman reviews are not very good. Some of the Craftsman's were good but so many weren’t complimentary at all. I haven’t bought yet but I’m definitely considering the Ridgid. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.

If i had a HD within 250 miles, I'd get the rigid too, but I don't. A friend in canada has a ridgid and has used it for years and loves it.

Weight is also an issue..a 400-500 lb saw is not within my weight limit..I'm in my 70's & disabled. That's why I was looking for a contractor size. The worksite types are not what I need..too small tables.

Nathan Callender
01-22-2014, 8:15 AM
If i had a HD within 250 miles, I'd get the rigid too, but I don't. A friend in canada has a ridgid and has used it for years and loves it.

Weight is also an issue..a 400-500 lb saw is not within my weight limit..I'm in my 70's & disabled. That's why I was looking for a contractor size. The worksite types are not what I need..too small tables.

Can't you order the ridgid online and have it shipped to your house? I'm not exactly sure how they do that. Anyway, if you do the grizzly, maybe plan on a better fence. You Might try cl for a used contractor saw as well.

scott spencer
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
FWIW, the R4512 and 21833 are nearly the same saws, both made by Dayton AFAIK.... minor differences in motor and fence, trunnion mechanisms are essentially the same, with similar track records of chronic alignment issues.

Maurice Hood
01-22-2014, 8:55 PM
Scott, I had read somewhere before that those two saws were almost identical that is one reason I was so surprised by the difference in reviews between them. What are the reviews so far on the Delta 36-725 that Lowes is selling? As I said I’m in the market for a saw and don’t really want to purchase one with a bunch of issues.

scott spencer
01-23-2014, 5:10 AM
Scott, I had read somewhere before that those two saws were almost identical that is one reason I was so surprised by the difference in reviews between them. What are the reviews so far on the Delta 36-725 that Lowes is selling? As I said I’m in the market for a saw and don’t really want to purchase one with a bunch of issues.

....another reason I don't take any review too seriously....it's just another tidbit of info. From a glance, the R4512 has an average rating of 4.25 stars, the 21833 is 4 stars. Many folks aren't really qualified to setup the saw well, many have a different opinion of what's important to them, and some have an experience that's not representative of the whole population....there's nearly no requirements to write a review on anything. Not that many happy campers will take the time to write a positive review, but the unhappy's are more motivated, so it's important to keep total numbers in mind...was it 14 bad reviews vs 14000 total units? Most of us don't have that info available to us. I've even read somewhere that a large percentage of online reviews are corporate shills either in favor of a product or against a competitor's.... Bottom line....who knows? (which brings me back to why I don't take reviews too seriously). With that said, both of these saws have had an ongoing issue with alignment that seems to effect a pretty fair percentage of the saws, but not all. Check them closely, and be prepared to exchange it if it's bad.