PDA

View Full Version : Figured Walnut Vase

Raymond Overman
06-13-2005, 11:28 PM
My pic really doesn't do the figuring in this piece justice. Unfortunately it's 11:25 PM, I wanted to get this pic out, and the batteries on my digital camera seem to be in that 'just one more' mode.

Anyway, this is a piece of walnut my father brought me a while back. You can see the piece hanging on by a thread in the bottom. It's hollowed to about 1/4" thick, embellished with a copper inlay to fill a rather large crack, finished with danish oil, then buffed.

Alan Ryalls
06-14-2005, 3:19 AM
hi Ray.nice piece,and beautifull bit of walnut.
regards alan.

Michael Stafford
06-14-2005, 5:46 AM
Nice job, Raymond and a beautiful piece of wood. Very good form!

John Hart
06-14-2005, 7:32 AM
Very nice Raymond!! The colors are spectacular and the shape is very nice. I like the platter in the background too!!

Jeff Sudmeier
06-14-2005, 9:53 AM
Raymond, that is a very good looking vase! The figure looks great.

Brad Schmid
06-14-2005, 1:23 PM
Nice job Ray,
what was your technique on the copper inlay?
cheers

Raymond Overman
06-14-2005, 7:51 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

Brad,

I use copper mesh sheets from the local craft supply store and fold it then stuff the cracks as full as possible and over fill them. I then coat that with thin CA and let it dry. After that it's either light cuts with my bowl gouge or the 80 grit gouge to even it back out.

There are some vendors out there that carry copper and other metal powder that you can fill cracks with and it gives a little more even appearance. I just haven't took the initiative to order any.

Thanks again for looking.