PDA

View Full Version : Bit Storage

Kelly Craig
01-20-2014, 8:59 PM
First, I think it would be worthwhile for anyone looking for storage solutions to run a search for "bit storage" for other ideas on the sawmillcreek site. I found a few and couldn't decide which one to post under. There were some really nice solutions. In the end, I said to heck with it and just started another post.

I built this bit storage about ten years ago. I'm one of those who needs everything to be visible. Nothing kills the joy of a project for me more than having to dig around for a tool.

Accordingly, this mounts on the wall and allows you see all your bits at a glance. Like most bit storage devices, this is a simple storage solution, but it has the advantage of allowing you to set several of the same sized bits side by side (others also did this, but used the heavier duty magnets, like you'd use to hold a set of knives). Also, the combination of the magnet and angled back insure bits don't fall.

The bottom of the rack sets about ten degrees off the wall. That or a ball park angle can be accomplished via the depth of the bottom, on which the bits rest, and by the sides that taper.

On the back, against which the bits lean, are mounted two pieces of inexpensive magnetic strip, which can be found at most hobby outlets.

Obviously, the length of this bit holder can be reduced or increased to accommodate need and preference. If desired, another magnetic strip could be added. If it would help organization, vertical strips could be added to separate groups of bits.

Jeff Erbele
01-21-2014, 1:59 AM
First, I think it would be worthwhile for anyone looking for storage solutions to run a search for "bit storage" for other ideas on the sawmillcreek site. I found a few and couldn't decide which one to post under. There were some really nice solutions. In the end, I said to heck with it and just started another post.

I built this bit storage about ten years ago. I'm one of those who needs everything to be visible. Nothing kills the joy of a project for me more than having to dig around for a tool.

Accordingly, this mounts on the wall and allows you see all your bits at a glance. Like most bit storage devices, this is a simple storage solution, but it has the advantage of allowing you to set several of the same sized bits side by side (others also did this, but used the heavier duty magnets, like you'd use to hold a set of knives). Also, the combination of the magnet and angled back insure bits don't fall.

The bottom of the rack sets about ten degrees off the wall. That or a ball park angle can be accomplished via the depth of the bottom, on which the bits rest, and by the sides that taper.

On the back, against which the bits lean, are mounted two pieces of inexpensive magnetic strip, which can be found at most hobby outlets.

Obviously, the length of this bit holder can be reduced or increased to accommodate need and preference. If desired, another magnetic strip could be added. If it would help organization, vertical strips could be added to separate groups of bits.

Thanks for sharing this design. Neat and simple but useful. Easy to build; easy to use.

As a career master machinist I have a 135 piece jobber set, lettered, numbered and fractional in an indexed box, basic to my job. I also have the 29 piece fractional set in a stand, well... a couple of those, as my first turn to - drill a hole - set. Plus metric.

But I also have a whole host of twist drill bits for special applications most people never heard of or know the correction application. A rack such as this would make a good way to store those.

Do you have a size identification system to find the bit you need at the present? Or just measure them?

Kelly Craig
01-21-2014, 2:55 AM
Over ninety percent of the time, I just need to eyeball for my selection, For example, when I'm pre-drilling for #8 screw. For the more exacting work, like drilling and taping, I grab the calipers, but that need is rare.

If dividers we glued or pinned on, you could dedicate sections to 1/32, 1/8, etc. and ink that fact onto the bottom board.