PDA

View Full Version : My First Workbench......

Cody Armstrong
01-20-2014, 7:14 PM
......and not planning on building another in my lifetime :)

I received my Benchcrafted hardware last week and have been busy the last few days machining and straight-lining stock.
To those that read my "Tooling up" thread in the "Neander" section I was originally using post oak for this project but it was horribly checked so I went with German beech.
This is gonna be a split top. I'm deviating from the BC plans and building the top approx 28" wide, 5" thick, 10' long and beefing up everything else.
I'm having to laminate everything.
So far the rails, legs, and first 4 boards of one of the top sections.
Wish me luck:)

Scott M Perry
01-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Yowza. That's going to be a beast.

Pete Hotard
01-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Wow...that is stellar...Definitely no shortage of clamps in your shop. What part of LA you in? I'll be moving to Baton Rouge in July. Looking good so far man, keep it up.

eugene thomas
01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Man. That a load of pipe clamps. And a long bench

Cody Armstrong
01-21-2014, 1:21 PM
After reading Schwarz's comments in his workbench book where he said if you think it's big enough then build it bigger. I took it to heart.
I'm just getting in to hand tools and hope I'm not making a mistake by going 28" wide vs. 24" Maybe someone could chime in here.
I can't see where an extra inch on either side of the gap stop would make a difference. Each top section will be ~13" wide.

I started making cutting boards last year. Had to invest in clamps. Takes 5 clamps per board to glue up. To glue up ten boards per day=50 clamps. :)
I made about 200 end grain boards last year. Got some nice size orders for Christmas. Sold all the boards.

@ Pete. I'm in Ruston if your ever up this way give me a holler.

Jim Matthews
01-22-2014, 11:15 AM
You can always make a long bench shorter.

Hard to stretch one, later.

I don't think deeper benches are better.
You can only reach across, so far.

It doesn't need to handle 4x8 plywood, for most shops.

Charlie MacGregor
01-22-2014, 3:51 PM
Shop seems to contain interesting architectural details.

Cody Armstrong
01-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Well after laminating and scraping glue for 9 days straight I've got all the pieces ready for the next step provided I don't make a mistake and have to re-make something.
The clamp rack was empty for these glue-ups.
Started some preliminary flattening. My first time to use a jointer plane. I'm waiting on stones to arrive so I'm having to use the irons as they come out of the box sharp.
Still getting a little tear out. Swapped the 25 degree iron for the 38 and helped a bit.
The wider slab to the above left had a full 1/8-3/16 bow. For a ten foot stretch I didn't think came out to bad. I used a LA jack and jointer to straighten both sides.
The narrower slab is ready for the bench dog strip. Fortunately it came out almost perfectly straight

More to come when I progress further. Sorry if this is mundane.

Charlie MacGregor
01-30-2014, 3:32 PM
Not mundane at all. Please keep us abreast.

Maurice Ungaro
01-30-2014, 4:49 PM
Looks like a bowling alley!

Cody Armstrong
01-31-2014, 7:30 AM
^ LOL. Yesterday I asked myself why am I building this so big. Definitely not cutting it down now. The next person that gets it(after my life with it is over) can do what they want with it. :)
This is/has been an expensive build. It has forced me to buy a few things like drill/router bits/hand tools. Things I would have acquired much slower. But it will be worth it in the long run. I'm impatiently waiting on a few items to arrive that have been ordered so I can continue on with this project.

Bobby O'Neal
01-31-2014, 9:41 AM
Looking great, Cody! Not mundane at all, in my opinion. Its exciting to watch somebody's bench come together. Keep it going for us.

Cody Armstrong
02-07-2014, 5:36 PM
Well 18 days into this project and I'm moving right along. This is taking longer than I expected :) This is where I am now.
I know this is all over the web and on the BenchCrafted site so please bear with me. It may help someone out :)
Cutting dog holes in the dog strip with two routers set up.
The first pass I used a template guide bushing and 1/2" spiral up-cut bit set within 1/16th of final depth.
The second pass I used a 1/2" four flute center cutting-end mill. The same bit Jameel mentions on the BC site. Boy does it cut nice.
The smooth shank acts as a bearing therefore cuts the template shape exactly. Dog holes finished with this pass.
I cut the tenon for the end cap with the same metal cutting end mill bit. Will be using this bit to cut the rest of the other joinery here. It is leaps and bounds better than the wood cutting up-cut bit.
I cut the pins for the condor tail joint with chisels. Wasn't brave enough to use a router and didn't want to fool with setting up the band saw. Needed the experience and wanted to try out the new chisels. :)
The tails were cut freehand with the plunge.
I forgot to snap a pic of the tenon before the end-cap went on. Here is the tail vise hardware installed. Bottom view.

Cody Armstrong
02-07-2014, 5:42 PM
And here's a shot of the completed tail vise bench dog/strip installation. It is finally done.

And on to the base. Started prepping the legs today.

Christopher Charles
02-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Looking good and you're going a whole lot faster than I did!

C

Lee Reep
02-11-2014, 10:45 PM
I am wondering if the factory that makes pipe clamp hardware has that many in stock at any given moment ... that is one serious investment in pipe clamps!

william nelson colorado
02-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Cody, that looks great. I'd say you are making good time on that build as well.

Cody Armstrong
02-12-2014, 8:22 AM
Yes on the clamps. :) And believe it I've used every clamp I have in this project. The 10' laminations were a bugger.
I've been putting in 10-12 hr days since I started this. Haven't missed a day. The end is nigh. Will have more pics soon. :)

Christopher Charles
02-13-2014, 3:02 PM
Well I feel a little better now knowing you've been going full bore :)

Have you thought about curing your hardware with flaxseed? I did and it worked great; there are some photos in my bench build thread (search "Klausz Bench dead", see post 93 for photos). Gives a great feel and dont' think i'll have to worry about rust.

Keep the posts coming...
C

Cody Armstrong
02-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Hey Christopher, I really like the hand wheel on your face vise it gives it a nice touch. The dovetails on the end cap are beautiful.
I need all the suggestions I can get. I do need to do something with the wheels. Do you bake the flaxseed on like linseed oil is done?

Cody Armstrong
02-14-2014, 12:47 PM
The router has been my friend in this project. I don't have joinery saws yet.

The four leg tenons routed at the same time. Both rail tenons v
and all the mortices.
Leg vise hardware fit and ready to install.
Drawbored.

Got it set in place. A few things left to do yet. I'm taking the rest of the day off. :)

Raymond Fries
02-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Awesome bench Cody!

Most certainly the last bench you will make.

Love it.

Enjoy Life...

brad jansen
02-18-2014, 9:57 AM
Outstanding work and nice spot for a bench.

Doug Ladendorf
02-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Wow Cody, fantastic work! I have enjoyed reading about your build and as others have commented it went very fast. Is the top just held on by gravity or did you fasten to the legs? Looking forward to some glamor shots. :-)

Cody Armstrong
02-18-2014, 8:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the support and nice comments. I worked myself into the ground and had to take it easy for a day.
The bench is finished along with the benchdogs, gap-stop, and dead-man. I put a coat of oil on just today. Will try to take some glamour shots tomorrow. :)

Doug, the tops are attached to the top rail with two big Spax screws each. The screws came with the Benchcrafted hardware package.

Cody Armstrong
02-19-2014, 11:09 AM
Well this was quite the project. I'm glad to be able to say it is finished. :) When researching benches and reading old threads I kept hearing how long it takes to build a nice bench.
I figured two-three weeks working everyday, boy was I wrong. Possibly could have happened if it was all solid wood and not laminated. Was definitely all worth it and would do it again to get the results I have.
I'm extremely happy with the end result of all the hard work. I love the Benchcrafted hardware. It is extremely high quality. Both vises are awesome and work smooth as silk.

Time and materials:
My time on this project= over 300 hrs.
306 BF 15/16 German Beech
5-gal Titebond 3
Benchcrafted Split Top Roubo Plans and Benchmaker's package. (While I sized everything up I did follow the plans where I could. I added the extra length between the legs per Jameel's advice.
Not gonna list the miscellaneous tools, drill bits/router accessories I had to buy to do this.
Cost??? I'll let you figure that one out. :) Expensive, but worth it.

Final dimensions.
Top: 5" thick, 28" wide, 119 7/8" in length(1/8 under 10') :)
Approximate weight with vises is roughly 1000 lbs.

My major time killer here was in stock prep. I ran every mating surface that was glued in the wide belt with an 80 grit belt to create more surface area for glue adhesion.
Was it necessary? No. But it made me feel better.
I used Watco Danish Oil(Natural) for the finish.

I can't leave out the Bevel-Up Family and the PMV-Eleven Gang. :) Couldn't have don't without them.
During this project I learned to sharpen the irons and can now relate better to what I read here about feedback and how sharp is sharp. :)

I do want to give a big thanks to the forum. At least 95% of the decisions I've made from buying tools(specifically hand-tools) and how to use them, sharpening the irons, even down to the choice of white oak pegs in the bench were from reading old posts. There's no way I'd be this far along in such a short amount of time without you guys. I know no one in my area that uses hand tools or would even think of tackling a workbench.
A big thank you goes to all that have asked the question's before me.

Cody

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Cody, outstanding! Any guestimate on the final weight? Pretty sure its not gonna move during stock removal!

james glenn
02-19-2014, 1:23 PM
Man, that thing is SWEET! Great work and thanks for the build along.

Marty Gulseth
02-19-2014, 2:51 PM
I'm loving this, I'm more than a little jealous, and I'm hopeful that sometime I get the space and time to do something even vaguely similar. NICE!

Regards,

Marty

Cody Armstrong
02-19-2014, 6:59 PM
Cody, outstanding! Any guestimate on the final weight? Pretty sure its not gonna move during stock removal!

Hey Maurice, thanks. I had to go back and edit. The approximate weight with vises is around 1000 lbs.
And yes it is rock solid. What I was shooting for. :)

brad jansen
02-19-2014, 7:34 PM
Outstanding work and one of the best I have every seen. Great job and hope you get to put it to some good use.

Christopher Charles
02-20-2014, 1:44 AM
Hello Cody,

Late on the response here, but yes, the flaxseed oil on my bench hardware was baked on, the same way you'd do a cast iron pan. Did the threads too.

Fantastic job on the bench and will look forward to seeing what comes next.

Cheers,
C

Cody Armstrong
02-20-2014, 8:54 PM
Thank you everyone for all the kind words and advice. The pics made it to the BC blog. :)
Now on to the next chapter. Started cutting my first dovetails today. I'm gonna need a lot of practice.

Scott T Smith
02-20-2014, 11:34 PM
Cody, that looks spectacular! And you made it sound so easy too :)

One question... How much does the top overhang the legs on each end?

Ron Brese
02-21-2014, 8:04 AM
Love that you have all that natural light coming in from those doors. The BenchCrafted hardware is the ultimate stuff and is certainly deserving of the effort you have in your bench. With this bench and that hardware you can think about your woodworking and not worry about how to hold your work.

Ron

Cody Armstrong
02-21-2014, 8:27 AM
Cody, that looks spectacular! And you made it sound so easy too :)

One question... How much does the top overhang the legs on each end?

Scott, the overhang from the leg on the left side(face vise) is 15", overhang on tail vise side is 21"

Mike McCann
02-21-2014, 10:54 AM
WOW that is a monster. Very nice job. I wish I had room in my shop for a 10 foot workbench

Hans Braul
02-22-2014, 6:56 AM
Cody,
I am truly impressed - this is a monster. Well done.

Jerry Olexa
02-22-2014, 9:31 AM
VERY Well done...Professional effort!!!! You should be PROUD!

Paul Saffold
02-22-2014, 9:34 AM
Great design and execution. You'll enjoy it every time you use it.

Doug Ladendorf
02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
You were highlighted in my latest email from Benchcrafted. Cool! Glad to see some shavings around that bench.
Doug

Jerry Olexa
02-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Must add: truly Remarkable work/results!!!!

Anthony Rausch
02-25-2014, 5:21 PM
Amazing bench! Not sure what it would take to make it budge during planing, I'm sure you'd probably break your wrists/arms/shoulders before that thing even thought about moving!

How did you process all that beech?

Cody Armstrong
02-25-2014, 8:52 PM
Thank you again for all the kind remarks everyone :) I've definitely been enjoying the bench. It is a joy to use.

Anthony, it took me a few days to prep the stock. The stock was already taken down to 15/16" when I bought it. Some I had to pop a chalk line and straighten one edge with a circular saw, and some I was able to use a 5' jointer to get one side semi-straight. I then ripped and straight-lined on the table saw. I surfaced all the stock with a wide belt sander.