PDA

View Full Version : Makita MS LS1013 - How to reinstall blade guard spring

Brian Tymchak
01-20-2014, 6:24 PM
Hi all,

I did something the instruction guide warns several times to not do, I took the blade guard off my MS (it's an older model LS1013 - no laser) to troubleshoot another problem - my electronic blade brake seemed to suddenly fail. But, that's another story. What I need help on is how to reinstall that blade guard with the spring properly loaded. I didn't pay enough attention to the spring when I pulled the guard off to understand how it goes back in. The owner's manual is useless. Didn't even have an exploded view in it. Here's an exploded view from the Makita site:

At least from this I can understand the orientation of the spring (part 79) and that it fits into the plastic housing, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it loads against as the blade guard is opened. My first several attempts didn't get the spring engaged. Anyone out there bump up against this and get the spring back in correctly? I could sure use some tips here.

Thanks for your help!

John Lanciani
01-20-2014, 7:52 PM
Can't help with the guard but the brake problem is most likely related to dirty contacts in the switch. I've had the same problem a few times on my 1013 and it was solved by (carefully) dismantling the switch and cleaning and polishing the contacts inside. The switch is easy to take apart but there are several small pieces inside that must go back properly for it to work. Before that, though, check to be sure that the carbon brushes are not worn out as that can cause brake problems too.

Brian Tymchak
01-21-2014, 8:01 AM
Thanks John. I read several posts on several forums discussing exactly what you mentioned. I'm thinking (actually it's probably more hoping) that my problem with the brake may have been a loose blade :o:o:o. The blade bolt was less than finger tight, but unfortunately, I discovered that after I had removed the blade guard. It is strange, in 10 years of owning that saw, that is the first time the blade has ever loosened up. Was quite a surprise. Make several cuts, blade brake works fine, one more cut, the blade is spinning free. If I can figure out how to get the blade guard back on, and I still have the problem, I'll be digging into the switch and brushes.

Couldn't quite get it out of my mind enough to go to sleep so I took another look at the blade guard again late last night. There is a little tab on the metal plate that I think catches the end of the spring as the guard rotates up, but I still need to look at it some more to figure out how to the get the spring in that position while getting the guard in position.

Thanks!

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2014, 6:59 PM
I had to replace the guard on mine, and although I can not remember what the final answer was, I remember that it was really close to the point where I get out the sledge hammer when I finally figured it out. I remember when I finally got it it was one of those "Duh" moments.

Best wishes, Larry

Bob Falk
01-21-2014, 7:36 PM
I have had mine apart several times....it is intimidating at first, but then the assembly becomes logical when you realize what the spring is trying to do (retract the guard)....mine is sticking and the guard not dropping properly, so I should probably disassemble....this is a finicky design, but sorta works..... If I disassemble, I will take some pictures of reassembly and share. bob

Brian Tymchak
01-22-2014, 8:47 AM
Larry, Bob, thanks for the replies. I got it put back together last night. I guess I needed to get rid of the frustration and clear my head and I had it back together in about 5 minutes. The trick I finally realized is that the little metal tab on the arbor cover will rotate down through a slot in the blade cover as the blade cover opens. This metal tab then catches the spring. So, finally understanding the dynamics, first, I preset the spring into the plastic case, then opened the metal arbor cover as if you are going to change the blade. That rotates down and then I slid the "hub" (for lack of a better word - the metal piece with the positioning holes in it - Makita calls it a Center Plate) into the arbor cover holding in it the hole from the blade side with my left hand. Then I carefully positioned the blade cover lining up the holes in the hub with the plastic nubs in the cover, making sure the spring was always below the tab on the cover. I found it easier to position the largest hole in the hub in the down position. Once the plastic nubs pop into the holes, pinch it all together with the left hand, thread the screw, tighten everything up, done. I was standing there a few minutes thinking "Wow - That was easy!"

And fortunately, my blade brake problem did turn out to be just a loose blade. That still puzzles me how that blade just loosened up like that. Live and learn. Will know to check it every once in a while going forward.