PDA

View Full Version : Wood plane made with a 5½ frog

Judson Green
01-20-2014, 5:22 PM
Last summer I bought a rusty Stanley #5½ (the 2¼" verizon) at a local flea market. Got it home and started to clean it up and then noticed i had a nearly though crack on the cheek. Note to myself, never again wear/take only my prescription sunglasses to the flea market. So I decided to cast it off into the parts drawer. But I've been stewing on this idea. Googled around for a while, found nothing. So awhile ago, with scrapes and 40¢ investment in T nuts, I made this.

It works. Haven't spent as much time on the iron as I should. Don't think I'm likely to give up my iron bench planes yet. Was thinking this might be a nice way to make a moving fillister. Get the benefit of a double iron.

Thoughts? Should I check myself in?

steven c newman
01-20-2014, 6:58 PM
Might have gotten away with just the upper half of the frog, ala a trans plane? Then you could have used a couple wood screws into a thicker area on the sole?

Maybe a tote and front knob, maybe in walnut? Or, just reuse the handles from the 5-1/2? Use screws instead of the bolts?

Leigh Betsch
01-20-2014, 7:04 PM
I made one from a transitional frog a few years ago. I mounted the frog at a 50 degree angle IIRC.
its the at the back of this pic.

Judson Green
01-20-2014, 7:17 PM
Have thought of adding a tote and knob. Don't think I'm gonna keep it like this though. I think I'll use the concept to make (perhaps modify this one) into a moving fillister. I'll need to add a nicker or a spur somehow.

Frederick Skelly
01-20-2014, 9:19 PM
I think its pretty clever. You ought to use it a bit and then refine your prototype based on what you learn.

Ill try that myself some day.

Thanks for sharing the idea.
Fred

Jim Koepke
01-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Was thinking this might be a nice way to make a moving fillister. Get the benefit of a double iron.

Don't forget a moving fillister needs the blade to be all the way to at least one edge to work. That frog would maybe work for that with a 2-3/8" blade.

Not sure if thread inserts have enough room so as to leave the bottom uncompromised.

Neat Idea, thanks for posting it.

jtk

Max Withers
01-21-2014, 8:40 AM
Awesome. Make it into a miter plane.

Chris Griggs
01-21-2014, 8:56 AM
That's pretty neat Judson!

Steve Voigt
01-21-2014, 9:38 AM
Very cool idea, and excellent recycling! Looking forward to seeing the fillister.
I think I mentioned this recently, there's a guy named Lars on wood central who converted a transitional into a double iron panel raiser. Might be worth a look.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Just looked at the thread Steve discusses above. Neat idea.

Here's Lars blog post about making that plane:

http://lllars.appspot.com/the_workshop/panel_raising_plane/index.php

Judson Green
01-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Steve & Joshua,

Thanks for posting about that thead and providing the link. I remember reading that thead and believe it helped to fuel the fire. I must not have read the part about where he was going to modify the chip breaker, cuz I remember thinking his idea wasnt going to pan out (chip free raised panels) if chip breaker wasn't going to be tight to the egde. Happy to see it did. Very clever.

Gonna model the bussines parts after this, expect I'm not sure if I'll do a spur or nicker.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Interesting, it looks like the knicker on that plane is one of those carbide inserts for the "EZ" gouges, or from a segmented planer head or something. Fairly easy to obtain, attach, and rotate out of position as needed.

Judson Green
01-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Yeah I also thought the knicker (didn't realize I was misspelling that) might be from a insertable type cutterhead.

Winton Applegate
01-21-2014, 2:50 PM
Cool stuff Judson and Leigh.

The main thing is how it works and you can tell us that.
Thanks for the posts and photos.

Judson Green
01-21-2014, 4:13 PM
Cool stuff Judson and Leigh.

The main thing is how it works and you can tell us that.
Thanks for the posts and photos.

Works _OK_, Winton. This, for me, was to flush out the concept. I feel the concept works. As Leigh mentioned adding handles would be a huge improvement.

And taking what was a hunk o junk and making it into something useful is always alright. And just using the scrapes I had on hand.

Judson Green
01-21-2014, 4:21 PM
Don't forget a moving fillister needs the blade to be all the way to at least one edge to work. That frog would maybe work for that with a 2-3/8" blade.

Not sure if thread inserts have enough room so as to leave the bottom uncompromised.

Neat Idea, thanks for posting it.

jtk

Good points, Jim. I think the frog will work (along with the cap iron (might file the cap iron a bit narrower) and iron) but might need to borrow a lever cap from a 4 or a 5. And the T nuts don't bother me, at least not now, cause I've decided for the moving fillister it would be better to just start anew.