View Full Version : Need help with a 13'' Two-Speed Finishing Planer. Delta 22-580

Jean-Louis Bouchard
01-20-2014, 3:40 PM
Every so often I take my planer apart to clean it, grease and oil it. I've done this quite a few times. Last week, I took it apart, cleaned it, greased it and put it back together again as I always did. But for whatever reason, the depth stop isn't working properly. It does lock but when it is locked, I cannot raise the head assembly. So basically it cannot be moved in any direction. Understandably, when locked, the head assembly cannot be lowered but I should have no problem raising it. I have dismantled the depth stop over and over, put it back together over and over, and always the same problem. When the depth stop is not locked the head assembly can be lowered or raised with no problem.
Has anyone ever encountered that problem? Any idea on how to fix it??? Thx! JL

Joe Kaufman
01-20-2014, 7:54 PM
Not familiar with that planer but isn't that the way it is supposed to work? "but when it is locked, I cannot raise the head assembly. So basically it cannot be moved in any direction."

Joe

Jean-Louis Bouchard
01-21-2014, 5:29 AM
In downward direction, yes. But not upward.

George Bokros
01-21-2014, 7:46 AM
I think he is referring to the depth stop located on the top of the planer not the cutter head lock. That depth stop allows you to raise the cutter head to plane additional stock to the depth at which you set the stop. Say you thought you may need some additional stock at that that identical thickness you can set that stop and raise the cutter head to accept unplaned stock and end at the identical thickness.

As for your question, I have no had my planer apart yet so I cannot help you,

George

Mark Bolton
01-21-2014, 7:55 AM
I see that George, missed it when I saw "lock"..

James Conrad
01-21-2014, 7:56 AM
The OP is not talking about the cutter head locking arm. On this lunchbox there is a depth stop for cutter-head height.

Jean-Louis, try adjusting the depth stop sleeve. It may be too far up on the threaded rod... Or down... But that is where I would start. If I remember correctly there is also a part inside the sleeve assembly that acts as the stop and incorrect spacing can cause this problem and can also go the other way were the stop does not work... It's been awhile since I had one apart though.

Also, welcome to the forum, add your location to your profile, there may be members near you who could help with this or other things.

Jean-Louis Bouchard
01-21-2014, 7:57 AM
Yes! That is the depth stop on top. When locked, you cannot lower the knives beyond the point it was locked...but you should be to raised them to accomodate different wood size. Mine won't move for whatever reason. Mecanics behind it is very simple and probably the solution is also simple but maybe too simple.. Ha!

Peter Kuhlman
01-21-2014, 7:58 AM
Are you referring to the entire head assembly locking or just the little depth sensing gizmo for initial pass usage?
I have this same unit. Have to admit I never tried to raise or lower the head after turning the large lock lever as have never had the head drift during a cut so assumed the lock held the head from going up or down. I think it would not be of any use at all if the head could be raised while locked as that is critical to get a consistent thickness cut.

James Conrad
01-21-2014, 8:06 AM
Yes, you should be able to raise the head, but not with the main cutter head lock engaged - the large handle on the side - this should be locked down when making cuts.

Jean-Louis Bouchard
01-21-2014, 8:12 AM
Thank you! You are right James. Maybe it is the spring that lifts the knob that is too squeezed and doesn't lift the knob far enough. I added info to my profil hoping it registred.

Jean-Louis Bouchard
01-21-2014, 1:53 PM
Well, I've dismantled it again and put it back together following the diagram the company provides. Changed the spring. Cannot move the cutter-head up when the depth knob is locked. I have e-mailed Delta and waiting for an answer.

Keith Weber
01-22-2014, 2:22 AM
I've used this planer for about 12 years. I didn't realize that this thing had a depth stop until I read this thread. I'm going to have to take another look at it. That feature would be handy! LOL! I've always just plane all my wood for a project at the same time, so I never missed it.

Jean-Louis Bouchard
01-22-2014, 5:41 AM
LOL. I don't use it often put it is practical as you don't have to measure all your planks individually to have the same thickness. I'm still waiting for Delta to answer my request but they don't seem to be in a hurry.