PDA

View Full Version : Maple finishing

John Keane
06-13-2005, 9:38 PM
I just put a coat of Minwax Red Mahogany on a maple dresser. Prefaced the application with Minwax pre-conditioner. Disappointed with the results. I wiped off the stain within a minute or two of applying it. Seemed to highlight any flaws in the wood (pre-sanded to 150). Waiting any longer made removal of the excess very difficult at best. Leaving it for the recommended 5 to 15 minutes would have made it impossible Other than sanding back to the virtual original base I am at a loss as to how to salvage/proceed. IMHO applying mahogany stain to maple is an exercise in futility. The beauty of the maple grain is lost.

Todd Burch
06-13-2005, 11:38 PM
John, try another brand of stain. Minwax ain't the best on the market. If you have a professional finisher's supply house nearby, go there, take your wood, take a sample of the finish you want, and they will educate you and introduce you to a world of products that work. If they don't, you're at the wrong supply house.

Scott Parks
06-14-2005, 1:51 AM
John,

I went through the same problems with Minwax, and Maple. In fact, I think it was the mahogony stain also. I tried conditioner, and benite with poor results. I ended up replaning, sanding, stripping, and using an alcohol stain, and it still isn't perfect.:mad: My conclusion.... Leave maple natural. Search back on my posts, you'll find my problems...

As far as salvaging.... Strip and sand.:(

Russ Massery
06-20-2005, 9:02 PM
In my experiences with staining maple were the same,:rolleyes: Right now I'm in the middle making kitchen cabinets which a maple also, but I'm leaving them natural. As for Dyeing maple I had much better results the dyes sold by homestead (jeff Jewitt) and mixing them with water works best....... hope it helps Russ.