View Full Version : How to make adjustable taper jaws on a wooden tail vise

george wilson
01-20-2014, 9:33 AM
Most things on musical instruments seem to be tapered. When I was in the Historic Area,and needed a vise that could hold tapers,I rigged up a quick,effective vise to hold them.

I took 2- 4" X 4" X 6" blocks of oak(happened to be handy,maple would be better). I drilled a hole down through the center of the side of each block for a lag screw to go through. Then,I laid the blocks over the jaws of my tail vise,and drilled a smaller hole down into each jaw of the tail vise on either side of the jaws. Each jaw got 1 lag bolt. Then,I could open and close the vise to move one of the jaws. I could loosen the lag bolts set them to the taper,and tighten them down quite well so they wouldn't slip.

The heads of the lag bolts were far enough apart that they did not get in the way of a plane or chisel. You could sink them in and use a socket wrench (I couldn't in the historic shop) to adjust the lag bolts.

I used this quick modification for many years to hold tapered necks,etc.. I have no pictures.

Pat Barry
01-20-2014, 9:56 AM
George, in the historic area, were you required to be historically accurate with things like lag screws? Ie: did they have to be authentic representations of vintage hardware? Or, did you just go to HD to get that type of thing?

george wilson
01-20-2014, 10:08 AM
We had a blacksmith's shop where those could be made.

george wilson
01-20-2014, 10:39 AM
You might be better served using a couple of pieces of large angle iron with wooden jaws added. That way,the lag bolts would not be sticking up at all.

mike holden
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Here is an alternate method that does not need a blacksmith.

Clamp a board in the vise, drill a hole, glue a dowel to the board, and voila!

Mike

george wilson
01-20-2014, 6:15 PM
My way doesn't need a blacksmith either,unless you are working in an 18th. C. shop where things must be authentic.