PDA

View Full Version : bandsaw tire slipping

Tai Fu
01-20-2014, 5:26 AM
I think I'm really figuring out why the bandsaw is shaking a bit...

I drew a mark on both the wheel and tire, and made a cut and found the mark is no longer aligned. The tire is slipping.

What can I do about this?

Mikail Khan
01-20-2014, 5:29 AM
If the tires are urethane they need to be replaced. Urethane tires apparently lose their elasticity over time.

MK

Tai Fu
01-20-2014, 5:39 AM
It's not urethane, it's rubber. Do you think I can just glue it down?

Update: I found the tires aren't glued down, but I called the dealer I bought the machine from and he says it's ok for the tire to slip a little bit... I'm not sure if he's talking out of his you know what...

Maybe I should just glue it down and see if it helps...

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2014, 8:01 AM
Hi, it sounds like the tire is at end of life and needs replacing............Regards, Rod.

HANK METZ
01-20-2014, 8:17 AM
It's not urethane, it's rubber. Do you think I can just glue it down?

Update: I found the tires aren't glued down, but I called the dealer I bought the machine from and he says it's ok for the tire to slip a little bit... I'm not sure if he's talking out of his you know what...

Maybe I should just glue it down and see if it helps...

What he really means is it's o.k. for your tires to slip; meanwhile the rest of the world goes to great lengths to ensure they remain immobile.

Rich Riddle
01-20-2014, 8:18 AM
Replace the tire with a new one and glue down the new one.

Tai Fu
01-20-2014, 8:23 AM
I just glued it down, will see tomorrow if it improves things... the bandsaw is only one year old, it's a stretch to think it's at the end of its life.

Gus Dundon
01-20-2014, 2:40 PM
The misaligned tire causes a vibration on the saw. Imprecision of the tires could be the problem. Let's see if gluing the tires can make a difference. Hope it will completely solve the problem.Good luck.

lowell holmes
01-20-2014, 3:47 PM
My 14" Jet, while not a quality saw is more than adequate. It has crowned wheels with rims on the edges. The tires were and are now polyurethane. After the original tires failed, I put new urethane tires on with out glue (they were never glued) and it is performing well. I tune the saw according to an article by Michael Fortune. and I can resaw easily. I do have the rise block and use 105" blades.
​Instead of boiling the new tires to soften them, I nuked them in the microwave.

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-20-2014, 5:14 PM
I would replace the tire. :)

Mikail Khan
01-20-2014, 6:05 PM
I have to replace my tires about once a year on average. I suspect the urethane is creeping because of the 30 deg. ambient temp. I have tried tires from 3 different mfgrs. black. orange and now a blue set off of ebay. My wheel diameter is 19". On average the uninstalled tire diameter is 16". There should be no slippage. Heating in the microwave has resulted in uneven heating for me causing the tire to stretch unevenly during installation. I was able to install the last 2 sets of tires without heat.

MK

Tai Fu
01-20-2014, 7:11 PM
I think urethane tires are not supposed to be glued but rubber tires have to be glued...

Jim Finn
01-21-2014, 8:13 PM
I had a shaking of my GO555 band saw so I removed the rubber tire, applied two layers of masking tape to the wheel and re-installed the tire. It did help. I may need to put two more layers of masking tape on the wheel. The shaking is reduced but there is still a little there.