PDA

View Full Version : trace a part trace a diagram using a draw routine that outputs to *.dxf

stan kern
01-19-2014, 8:38 PM
I wanted to show how easy it is to setup the draw routine and a rollup tablet.
The rollup can be configured 2 ways ,one just plug it in and the rollup provides the driver or down load the tablet driver routine and run it
This shows the built in driver ,somewhat easier to set up and this is all very portable ,and the end result is a *.dxf file and can be editted
whch i will be showing next
This rollup is 36x30 ,and they can be smaller
http://youtu.be/_D8wKa10ewo

Bert Kemp
01-19-2014, 9:16 PM
I have no clue what so ever what this is . Could you explain it to me a little better.
Thanks

stan kern
01-19-2014, 9:30 PM
http://youtu.be/uqTE3O3DQVs

stan kern
01-19-2014, 9:31 PM
this a drawing system that allows you to copy duiagrams laid out on the tablet and produce *,dxf machine files without cad

stan kern
01-19-2014, 9:57 PM
use a corded pen to copy whatever can fit on the tablet straight to your computer machine ready for cutting

Keith Outten
01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Stan,

Do you have a link to the digitizer manufacturer?

Martin James
01-22-2014, 5:56 PM
about how much does a thingy like that cost?

thanks

Bob A Miller
01-22-2014, 6:33 PM
Martin

I bought a used digitizer board. The trick is the software. I believe I have the same setup shown but have had problems with mine. I would not recommend it. I am sure other folks have done ok.

Digitizer bards vary in price ... I think there aren't a lot of mfg's left..(folded or merged). I got mine used with the software.

Bob

David Somers
01-22-2014, 6:50 PM
This is scary!

Used to be a small room of undergrads would work intently on hard plastic versions of these things and would laboriously trace topo maps into computers for entry into mapping systems. All they needed were to be in dark stone walled catacombs with dim tallow candles for light and the distant sound of gregorian chants being performed. They would have tonsured hair cuts and scratchy brown robes so they look like monastic monks doing their daily illumination of medieval documents. You knew who was on the ..... list by looking at the map they were doing. Those in favor were lazily digitizing flat terrain. Those on THE .... list were slaving away on terrain that had endless amounts of steep continuous cliffs with contour lines spaced apart by mere atom widths; the hapless ones doing penance!

For what it is worth......a refurbished one of these in a 30x40 inche model came into our geographic office running about $2,500 if I remember what the user was saying. That was shortly before the Holidays. No idea what they are going for new. You could check really quickly with a Google search on "roll up digitizing tablet." Ours was being used in ArcGIS and Arcview software so I have no idea if it came with any software natively.

Dave

David Somers
01-22-2014, 6:59 PM
Another thought. If you have a need to digitize paper drawings this size you might look around your area and find someone who has an E sized scanner. They are often built into big E sized plotters and can take large sheets of paper, digitize them, and output them in whatever file format you want. My guess is mapping companies will have them along with architects and draftsman, etc. You then clean them up in whatever software you want. I would bet the cost of the roll up scanner would get you many many sheets of paper scanned in a scanner with a lot less effort on your part. I am not sure what we bought the roll up tablet for. Perhaps we are hiring a hapless intern? <grin> (just kidding....they did have a use for it that didnt involve interns or punishment)

Another, nearly as useful idea is to tack the paper to the wall and photograph it with a decent camera and good lighting. Then trace it in Corel.

Dave

Kev Williams
01-22-2014, 10:00 PM
More than once I've traced-- the old fashioned way, with paper and a pen- fairly large items someone wanted reproduced. Like airplane, boat and RV gauge panels... I draw in markers every 6 inches or so for good measure. Then I cut the pattern up into pieces that will fit in a basic flat bed scanner. After scanning all the pieces I vectorize them, line all the sections together, and weld everything together...

This reminds me of what my inlaws did almost 20 years ago. My BIL restored a '57 Bel Alr, my SIL wanted it painted exactly like the Time-Life model '57 Chevy she bought, black with lots of flames. They took many pictures of the model, had slides made up, then went to the library to use their slide projector. They blew up all the pictures on the wall to life-size, traced them onto visqueen, which got traced onto the car. The BIL did all the work on this car himself. Except for the obvious, the car is all original, and still like brand new. I'd buy it if I could afford it! (wish I had better pics of it)

We've come a long way from making pantograph masters using a hot-iron and plexiglas, and tracing slide pictures from walls! (thank goodness!)

stan kern
01-23-2014, 1:08 PM
john.walsh@logicgroup.com logic group 888 362 0648 this link will get you some info mention me and john will treat you well!!

stan kern
01-23-2014, 1:13 PM
these boards can be reasonably priced as john has refurbs with the hardware and his software
john.walsh@logicgroup.com logic group 888 362 0648
He also has 3 programs ...the cnc draw,,combine (large items tacked together) and a screen trace(copy whats on the moniotr in front of you and produce a *.dxf file)

stan kern
01-23-2014, 1:14 PM
starts 600.00 up

stan kern
01-23-2014, 1:15 PM
the boards have been around for years but not john walsh's software,the boards were for cad use not like that now
Its his software that makes it go so easily

stan kern
01-23-2014, 4:21 PM
http://youtu.be/S59TSXLJMn4 using the wintab driver
Before i showed using the hardware driver to set up a drawing board ,this time its a tablet works driver downloaded off the net
and i show how to set it up and go through tracing out a profile

stan kern
01-23-2014, 7:14 PM
http://youtu.be/S59TSXLJMn4 using the wintab driver

tried a differnt device driver easy to setup