PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf

Eric Holmquist
01-19-2014, 8:03 PM
Maple Leaf, turned from Maple, pierced and airbrushed. Around 6" (15cm) across. Finished with waterborne lacquer. Created as part of a public demo at The Woodworking Shows to promote the artistic side of woodturning and the local woodturning clubs of Connecticut and Massachusetts.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7393/12040963495_c9bbf5dc17.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jm25WT)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/12040963865_198c6dd837.jpg (http://flic.kr/p/jm264g)

Don Nicholas
01-19-2014, 8:12 PM
My only comment is it looks beautiful. I like the way you airbrushed your color blends.
What type of die/stain did you use?
Very well done.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Very nice piece Eric, must have taken some time to do all the shaping piercing and sanding, very well done, and thanks for showing :)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Simply beautiful and well executed! Thanks for sharing!

Eric Holmquist
01-20-2014, 6:53 AM
Thanks everyone

My only comment is it looks beautiful. I like the way you airbrushed your color blends.
What type of die/stain did you use?
Very well done.

I used Golden Transparent Acrylic Airbrush Colors. This allows the grain of the wood to show through the color, and the overlap area between red and yellow to come out orange.

Very nice piece Eric, must have taken some time to do all the shaping piercing and sanding, very well done, and thanks for showing :)

It is hard to say how long this took, I spent 3 days at The Woodworking Show when they recently came to New England and did the piercing for this as well as pyrography on another piece that is currently undergoing finishing. I spent more time talking to the public than embellishing, but I suspect that if the weather was nice I could sit in the driveway, pierce, sand and airbrush this in an afternoon.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-20-2014, 7:11 AM
Now that is creative. You really thought outside the box. Looks beautiful.

mike ash
01-20-2014, 9:20 AM
Eric - As I was admiring your Maple Leaf on my computer screen, my wife came by and had the same reaction as to neat it was. Now I need to look to do some wood piercing. I have an old beat up Dremel tool with a few bits, but looking at the task at hand, that isn't going to do it!!! Can you give a few places I can look to learn the how-to's and maybe the tools required?

Beautiful work!

Mike

George Morris
01-20-2014, 9:20 AM
Well done! Great work!

Paul Engle
01-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Eric - As I was admiring your Maple Leaf on my computer screen, my wife came by and had the same reaction as to neat it was. Now I need to look to do some wood piercing. I have an old beat up Dremel tool with a few bits, but looking at the task at hand, that isn't going to do it!!! Can you give a few places I can look to learn the how-to's and maybe the tools required?

Beautiful work!

Mike

Yes , wives have a tendency to do that , mine as well , now as she wants one , I may be getting a new tool ... ( drool ) so thanks for sharing and posting this piece , nicely done indeed !

Roger Chandler
01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Beautiful work, Eric!

Harvey M. Taylor
01-20-2014, 1:27 PM
Wish I could do stuff like that. Outstanding. Max

Eric Holmquist
01-20-2014, 5:23 PM
Thanks everyone

Beautiful work!

Mike

Doing this with a Dremel is possible, but not practical in my opinion.

You will have a better experience with an air tool like an NSK Presto (what I use) or a Turbo Carver. There are other similarly capable air tools but they are not as easily available. I have one of the swept back right angle dental tools but having used it on a couple projects, I prefer the pencil style tools. I got my NSK Presto at Treeline USA which is next door to Craft Supplies USA.

I've taken in some demos at symposiums, and wrote up my own handouts for a piercing demo I've given at a couple clubs, but I do not recall seeing any online tutorials on piercing.

Yes , wives have a tendency to do that , mine as well , now as she wants one , I may be getting a new tool ... ( drool ) so thanks for sharing and posting this piece , nicely done indeed !

We all have to stick together to get LOML support for new tools to make things for them!

Wish I could do stuff like that. Outstanding. Max

Doing stuff like this is easier than many people think. The right tools, a bit of piercing practice on thin craft wood, a bit of design practice with a pen and paper and things just start to come together.

Arlin Eastman
01-20-2014, 5:54 PM
Eric

Wonderful turning and finshing. :D

On the paint where did you get it from?

I am saving my $$$ so I can get turning again.

Arlin

Eric Holmquist
01-20-2014, 6:28 PM
Eric

Wonderful turning and finshing. :D

On the paint where did you get it from?

I am saving my $$$ so I can get turning again.

Arlin

I believe I got the paint from Dick Blick. I picked up a full set of the Transparent Colors in small bottles and it lasts a long time.