PDA

View Full Version : intentional cupped wood for use in boxes

Bruce Mack
01-19-2014, 6:21 PM
For a while I have been intrigued by the natural cupping of construction pine (2x6 to 2x10) bought at Lowe's or Home Depot. Resawing the beam into halfs or thirds and then surface planing it, I set it aside to cup. The cupping has little twist in the 18 to 22 inch lengths I use, though twist is a problem as I assemble the boxes, and requires some discarding, hand planing and persuasion.
The spontaneous cupping results in a neat arc (fair curve). Though it cannot be controlled, as in coopering, the result when used as box sides or tops is attractive - think pirate chest. I haven't tried hardwoods this way, but suspect kiln drying would limit the effect.
I raise this topic, knowing most of you have seen the phenomenon, and wanting to see if any use it as a positive feature in their box construction. Thanks.

Danny Hamsley
01-20-2014, 8:10 AM
Not used cupped wood intentionally, but I believe that the best cupping can be induced by using perfectly flatsawn boards versus riftsawn or quartersawn and allowing one side to dry while keeping the other side moist.

Jim Rimmer
01-22-2014, 1:51 PM
Interesting idea. Can you post pics of finished project?

Bruce Mack
02-19-2014, 3:08 PM
I'll try. Have to get info on posting.

Bruce Mack
02-19-2014, 6:35 PM
Here's a picture of a box made from a 2x10 with 5/8" thick top and sides. The finish is Zinsser Amber Shellac with a mix of dyes.

Bruce Mack
02-19-2014, 6:46 PM
282847282846 sorry about the duplication, feel free to edit

Bradley Gray
02-19-2014, 7:02 PM
A picker I used to do a lot of repair work for taught me a clever way to take the bow out of a board. (he used the method on table leaves) If you lay the piece concave side down in the grass while the sun shines, it will flatten. I think this would work just as well to induce cupping.

Bruce Mack
02-19-2014, 7:32 PM
I had a friend who offered me his cherry table because the top had cupped on his porch. Beautiful cherry, which lay flat again after he allowed it to convalesce indoors;)

Steve Peterson
02-20-2014, 1:41 PM
The natural reaction of wood shrinkage will cause the growth rings to want to straighten. Splitting a 2x10 in half (or quarters) will allow the pieces more freedom to curve. The best effect will be from boards near the edges of the log that have curved growth rings. Quarter sawn boards from the center of the log will have no effect.

Steve