PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Stanley #40 users

Judson Green
01-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Yesterday I sharpened up and played around with a #40 I got a few months back. I kinda like it, don't know why I didn't sharpen it sooner, made a thankless task just a bit easier. But

Where do you guys put your trigger finger?

On other planes I rest my index finger on the rib on the back of the frog but the 40 not having this option I've tried approximating this with my finger on the edge of the blade but that feels weird, doable but weird. As does a completely close hand (all 4 fingers wrapped around the tote).

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-20-2014, 10:24 AM
No experience with a number 40, but when I use my bevel up jack for heavy scrubbing tasks, where I need a bit more "oomph" and a little less
"finesse", and I also lack any place to put my index finger, I sort of use an almost open-handed grip, so there's less grasping and more pushing involved. Sort of pushing with the back of my palm, almost like how you'd hold a coffin-smoother.

Judson Green
01-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Guessing you meant to say bevel up? Didn't even dawn on me that there's a bunch of folks with no place to put their index finger in an extended position. Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try next session.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Oops - I did mean bevel up. Fixed now.