PDA

View Full Version : Witherby Information

Brad Schmid
06-13-2005, 8:23 PM
Can anyone point me to a source of information on Witherby chisels? Specifically, I'm interested in finding information about their lengths when new.

Thanks & Cheers,
Brad

Dan Forman
06-13-2005, 9:26 PM
Brad---This would be a good place to start. http://www.geocities.com/sawnutz/index.htm

If the info you seek isn't posted, Im sure you could find some leads.

Dan

Brad Schmid
06-14-2005, 9:41 AM
Thanks Dan.
There's some really interesting historical information there. I spent a good bit of time, and learned some new stuff on several of the linked sites. It seems there were no length specs available though. I wonder if this type of information even exists in print?

Regards,
Brad

Dan Forman
06-14-2005, 3:01 PM
Brad, I would bet if the specs do exist somewhere, the fellow with the linked site would know. I'd send him an email. He wouldn't have put his address out there if he didn't want to be contacted.

If you just want to eyeball a mint set, look here!

http://homepage.mac.com/galoot_9/patina_2002.html

Third pic, second row.

Dan

Brad Schmid
06-14-2005, 3:29 PM
Brad, I would bet if the specs do exist somewhere, the fellow with the linked site would know. I'd send him an email. He wouldn't have put his address out there if he didn't want to be contacted.

If you just want to eyeball a mint set, look here!

http://homepage.mac.com/galoot_9/patina_2002.html

Third pic, second row.

Dan

Thanks Dan,
I feel like a maroon :o Why didn't I think of that :confused:

And WOW, that is truly a sweet set of Witherby's!

Brad

Dan Forman
06-14-2005, 4:31 PM
Brad---Google is a wonderful thing. You can usually find about anything you want with a Google search. I just used witherby chisels in the search window, and bingo!

Dan

Tim Leo
06-15-2005, 8:58 PM
let me know if you can't read these;

Brad Schmid
06-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Tim,

That's exactly what I was hoping to find! The bad news is, my eyes aren't good enough to read the numbers. I even tried massaging it with Photoshop CS but can't quite make it out. :(
Maybe we can work out something else?
Brad

Tim Leo
06-16-2005, 5:42 PM
unfortunately, I had to reduce the size of the files to be able to post them. The really bad news is that the full-size files aren't prefectly clear either.

Send me your email address, and I'll send you the full-size files.

tim

Brad Schmid
06-16-2005, 7:37 PM
unfortunately, I had to reduce the size of the files to be able to post them. The really bad news is that the full-size files aren't prefectly clear either.

Send me your email address, and I'll send you the full-size files.

tim

Thanks Tim! I just sent you a PM with my email address.
Brad

Andrew Alexander
06-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Tim...would it be possible to also email me a copy of this jewel of information..It would be much appreciated...thank you!

Andrew

Derek Cohen
06-17-2005, 7:47 AM
Me too, please.

Regards from Perth

Derek

derekcohen@iinet.net.au

Peter Mc Mahon
06-17-2005, 7:42 PM
Hi Tim. I would be interested in the Witherby information as well if you could please. Peter

Andrew Alexander
06-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Tim...as i said, this is some great info and I much appreciate your sharing the information...also note to Brad...thanks for the inquiry...Andrew

Derek Cohen
06-19-2005, 9:40 AM
Tim

Many thanks for the email with the Witherby info. It arrived safely.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brad Schmid
06-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks Tim!
Sorry for the late response, I was at Seaworld since Friday and just got back and saw them. Thank you for your generosity, it is much appreciated. I'm working them over right now with Photoshop CS to see if I can make the numbers legible to my eyes.

Cheers,
Brad

Wesley Roberts
03-09-2016, 6:44 PM
Hello Tim,

Just discovered this blog and am wondering if the Winstead Catalog is still available? If so I will send my email address. Thanks

Jim Koepke
03-09-2016, 8:09 PM
Hello Tim,

Just discovered this blog and am wondering if the Winstead Catalog is still available? If so I will send my email address. Thanks

Here is a current file eddress for a Witherby catalog:

http://toolemera.com/catpdf/winsted1890CAT.pdf

jtk

Allan Speers
03-10-2016, 1:07 AM
Thanks, Jim!

It's interesting that they used different handle designs for the firmers vs the framing chisels. I always thought the different handles came from different years, but evidently not.

I guess the latter needed to withstand harder blows?

And BTW - what the heck is a "solid silver steel socket framing" chisel?

It says underneath: "Not Bessemer backs with steel welded faces." - So does that mean all other Witherby's had "silver" steel faces, laminated to Bessemer steel backs? I never noticed. Maybe it's only the regular FRAMING chisels that have this? I still never noticed, but I'm going to look carefully tomorrow, if I remember to do so.

Jim Koepke
03-10-2016, 1:20 AM
And BTW - what the heck is a "solid silver steel socket framing" chisel?

I have no idea. Someone revived this old thread. I noticed some of the links no longer work. I knew toolemera.com likely had a file of a catalog if it was available.

jtk

Ray Selinger
03-10-2016, 1:54 PM
Silver steel is a British term, meaning quality carbon steel. It still refers to drill rod in Britain. I have recent ('80s ?) Nicholson backsaw with Silver Steel painted on it.