PDA

View Full Version : Clamping uneven stock

Pete Hotard
01-19-2014, 2:18 AM
Sorry for the long post

Well I've already inundated the forum with questions after only being here for 3 or so days. I've already been helped and learned so much. But yet I need ideas for another thing that is stumping me. I am currently building a bed. The footboard and headboard is made from 3/4" oak ply, trimmed out in red oak 1x3s with pine 1x3s on the back that follows the trim on the front just to make the piece a bit more substantial. So with the 3 laminated pieces it comes to about 2 1/4" thick. On top of which I am putting a 2x4 (pine bc it will be trimmed out around it) on top of the 2x4 I am putting a 1x6 oak cap with routed edges. My question is this...how can I clamp the 1x6 firmly and evenly to the piece so that it sits flush and level to the rest of the piece. I already tried gluing one cap on and either due to the junky board or my poor clamping techniques the cap ended up with a substantial twist and caused issues both structurally and aesthetically. Gave my back and the wonderbar a good workout getting that thing off....live and learn. The 2x4 is screwed to the plywood. How can I clamp the cap straight being as it is hanging over the plane of the bottom of the piece by a good 2" on either side.

Gerry Kaslowski
01-19-2014, 2:51 AM
How about using dowels to align the pieces. Then just glue and clamp. No worry about keeping the pieces in alignment. Another way would be to route a groove in both pieces, then using a spline to align.

Mike Heidrick
01-19-2014, 3:48 AM
Id build a screwed together box that fits the post and the cap and use it to align the cap. Screw it apart when cap is secured/glued on.

Jerry Miner
01-19-2014, 2:14 PM
My understanding of your project is illustrated below. Can't you clamp the cap as shown?

I think maybe your problem is with the 2 x 4. You are depending on that piece to be straight, square, flat, and rigidly attached. It may not be all of those. Are you tying it into the posts somehow?

Richard Coers
01-19-2014, 2:21 PM
The first thing you need to understand, is that 2x4s and 1x3s from a box store are not furniture grade wood. It's wet, it comes from immature trees fast growing trees, and it will move so much as it dries in your shop and house it will ruin a lot of good work. Those boards are made for construction, hence the construction grade stamps.