PDA

View Full Version : introduction

Steve Kumpf
01-19-2014, 1:46 AM
Im new to this forum. i just want tsayay hi to everyone. I post up in Philly, west. Id like to put out the call to anyone in my area. If your near me, let me know. Not many others understand my passion for hand tools. I came up as a finish carpenter, got bored with the prefab possibilities, and started woodworking with a couple restoration jobs. I started with hand tools as i couldn't afford machines. That grew into wooden planemaking. Now I'm obsessed. With a slow winter a far as jobs go (my girlfriends' parents house is starting to look pretty good) the direction I've been wanting to go in is starting to look like a reality, and a possibility. I just want to put out a sincere and humble request for support and friendship from the community. Thank you all
Steve

Jim Koepke
01-19-2014, 1:53 AM
Steve,

Welcome to the Creek. May I suggest placing your location in to your profile? I know in a few months I will forget Philly is your home.

I to am looking for some kind of woodworking product to produce that will sell locally.

It can be a challenge.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

jtk

Chris Griggs
01-19-2014, 9:51 AM
Hi Steve. Welcome. I'm in West Philly too..in the West Powellton Neighborhood near Drexel's sports fields. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

Rob Luter
01-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Welcome from the flatlands.

Bill White
01-19-2014, 1:16 PM
Well, a "howdy" from the Mississippi side of Sawmill Creek.
Gladahveya!
Bill

Frederick Skelly
01-19-2014, 9:51 PM
Welcome Steve!

Sounds like you'll be right at home here. Enjoy!

Fred

harry strasil
01-20-2014, 2:10 AM
Welcome Steve, It looks like you have already got splinters from sliding down the slippery slope. Most everyone on this Forum is a "Neanderthal" or as some say a "Galoot". A few of us do own a few "Tailed Apprentices" (Tools with a power cord), but, it seems you are going to fit right or left in here. Some here work wood with the newer Hand Tools, and some work with the antique varieties, and then there are those that combine the new with the old. I guess you could call this the quiet Forum, no need for ear protectors or dust masks, but SAFETY GLASSES ARE A MUST.

KEEP THE SHAVINGS FLYING!
Remember hand tools are very modern, they are all cordless!

Malcolm Schweizer
01-20-2014, 5:30 AM
Welcome to the team! Beware- it's kind of like a man with a drinking problem making friends at the bar. We are only going to further corrupt you.

Steve Kumpf
01-20-2014, 2:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys i am starting to go the way of screaming demons. Its funny, when you have to use hand tools because there is no other way to get the job done, i want a faster way. When i have that faster way, i want to use hand tools more. The grass really isn't greener either side of the hill. But i sure do like not tasting the sawdust, ya know? Not to mention sparing the neighbors

Jim Koepke
01-20-2014, 3:39 PM
I like hand tools because it allows me to listen to the music.

My mistakes also happen slower so sometimes they can be stopped before it is too late.

Usually I am not in a hurry to finish a project. With a few of them laying around for years to attest to that point.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
01-20-2014, 4:05 PM
Howdy from soon to be back home in Texas. Chris Griggs is a good guy to have close by to you.

Edward Mitton
01-20-2014, 4:13 PM
Howdy from sunny Castle Rock, Colorado. Be prepared to learn a lot of stuff on this forum. The guys here are a great lot, and have, collectively, seen and done it all when it comes to hand tool savvy. I learn something new each and every time I log on....