PDA

View Full Version : "Show" Prices at Woodworking Shows

Rich Riddle
01-18-2014, 9:59 PM
We just returned from the Indianapolis Woodworking Show. This year proved more interesting because stationary tools made their presence known including General International, Jet, Powermatic, Shop Fox, and Saw Stop. Several small power tool companies were there including Bosch, Makita, and DeWalt. Of course for the Neanders, Veritas and Lee Valley were there.

I attend to purchase items and received a decent deal from Woodpeckers on a ruler and a decent price on some router accessories from Wood Line, however when going to the Peach Tree area, it became very apparent that their "show prices" are actually higher than the catalog prices. When asking an associate, he indicate most of the items at the show sell for more than in the catalog. Veritas no longer offers show prices but does offer free shipping if you purchase items at the show.

Just goes to show that the buyer must beware.

Greg Peterson
01-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Thankfully, Veritas carried no inventory, otherwise I would have left a little lighter in the wallet. Bosch had some deals on their tools. If you add in my expense of parking and show admission, the deal wasn't as deep as it appears.

Rich Riddle
01-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Thankfully, Veritas carried no inventory, otherwise I would have left a little lighter in the wallet. Bosch had some deals on their tools. If you add in my expense of parking and show admission, the deal wasn't as deep as it appears.
Well Veritas did leave me lighter in the wallet. It offers something for the future in the bleak days of winter. That half-mile walk in the cold wind proved eventful. Can't believe we paid for that honor. Bosch always has decent offers; this show Makita had several offers as well. Weather didn't hold out well though.

mike holden
01-19-2014, 9:37 AM
This is why the shows are dying. People go for the bargains, but the internet is a cheaper way to market, so why should the suppliers go to the show.

Rich Riddle
01-19-2014, 9:47 AM
This is why the shows are dying. People go for the bargains, but the internet is a cheaper way to market, so why should the suppliers go to the show.
Fair enough, but I don't understand Peach Tree charging more at the show than in their catalog. Some companies charge the same price but go in order to get new customers. Some folks want to touch an item before ordering it. Guess that is why Veritas goes and Lie Neilson goes to some other types of shows.

eugene thomas
01-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Got to love the net on phone. I usually check online prices when going to buy something that not sure about price .

glenn bradley
01-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Fair enough, but I don't understand Peach Tree charging more at the show than in their catalog. Some companies charge the same price but go in order to get new customers. Some folks want to touch an item before ordering it. Guess that is why Veritas goes and Lie Neilson goes to some other types of shows.

I did not notice the Peachtree pricing issue at 'the Woodworking Shows' recently and I was comparing prices to their site on my smart phone. Most were the same but, there were some "package" deals that were a little better. I will have to assume that they take pity on us out here on the left coast since we have to chew our air.

I have never considered the shows as a bargain bin and they don't seem to be marketed that way. They are a good way to get my hands on many items that I would normally only see online. Back before Lie Nielsen stopped coming to the California shows I got to try Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen products side by side which was very beneficial. I get to see many of the euro machines that I would have to drive to Los Angeles (and being born here I never go to L.A. unless I absolutely have to; Hollywood is nothing like you see on TV) to see and some I cannot find anywhere in the state.

I generally pick up small items and consider the fact that I get them immediately and don't pay shipping to be the "deal" if there is any. I wish more people would support the shows as our lack of attendance only fuels the absence of the vendors. Who is going to go to the expense fo hitting a show tour when no one shows up to see your stuff? As with some other notable situations, in this we are our own worst enemy.

Greg Peterson
01-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I went to the show with the intention of picking up a Veritas shoulder plane and a Lie Nielsen dovetail saw. The shoulder planes were nicer than I expected, but no inventory. Lie Nielsen wasn't at the show. Actually, I coveted several of the Veritas planes. They were all pretty darn nice.

Peach Tree had the largest footprint of the show, by a country mile, but I had most of my bases covered on that front. Didn't check their pricing, but saving on freight would be incentive enough if they did have something I needed.

I was struck by the collective logistics of the show. Up here in the North Left, we are about as far away from anything as you can get. So while I appreciate their efforts to bring their wares to my neck of the woods so that I can kick a tire or two, I was not compelled to purchase anything.

Keith Outten
01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
My 2 Cents

Many years ago we use to have two very large woodworking shows in Norfolk Virginia every year. Over time they got smaller and smaller until they just stopped. For a few years after our local shows were discontinued there was a show in Richmond but I haven't seen that show advertised in many years now.

If you enjoy going to woodworking shows make sure you purchase something or they will cease to exist. In fact I would recommend that you make every effort to support your favorite vendors even if they are not at the low end of the price scale. Its "use em or lose em time folks", the impact of Internet Shopping is taking its toll and the race to the bottom is in high gear. When we get to the bottom we may find that the only companies left are Northern Tools and Harbor Freight.

Every time I see a thread where someone is complaining about their local woodworking supply store closing and see comments where someone spent two hours in the store and then went home so they could place an order on the Internet so they could save a couple dollars it boggles my mind. The costs associated to run a really nice well stocked woodworking store are pretty high but the benefit is considerable and I can't imagine anyone not finding a local supply store valuable. Your local woodworking supply store is the same as the woodworking shows....use em or lose em.

My advice is to find really good vendors and be a loyal customer so they will always be there when you need them. Whether they are Internet sales companies or local stores it is your support that keeps them in business. A lowball price is rarely in your best interest over time IMO.

David Weaver
01-19-2014, 12:23 PM
I'd imagine that the retailers prices for the shows include a passing along of some of their costs of being there (if they're higher).

I have been gotten by the same thing - at IWF I got some stuff from the asturo booth "on sale" to come back and find that it was cheaper online by a little bit. It really doesn't bother me quite so much, though, because I got to get my hands on it and talk to a company rep there and get advice. Plus aside from their booth expenses, the money I spent went right to the company.

There was plenty of other stuff there that didn't really seem like a deal, but I was able to put my hands on all of it if I wanted to. I did get a small discount on some LV stuff that I ordered there (this was several years ago).

The chance of having a brick and mortar store these days with premium items in it is probably about zero. The internet competition and the costs of doing brick and mortar business resign most of them to trinkets, gadgets and consumables that you might buy there that would cost more to ship. Our rockler is like that - there's some good stuff at the rockler, but most of it has been replaced by plastic and aluminum stuff from china and taiwan. It's still awfully difficult to get screws cheaper anywhere else when you have to ship them, though, esp. if you only want a few.

Keith Hankins
01-19-2014, 12:35 PM
We just returned from the Indianapolis Woodworking Show. This year proved more interesting because stationary tools made their presence known including General International, Jet, Powermatic, Shop Fox, and Saw Stop. Several small power tool companies were there including Bosch, Makita, and DeWalt. Of course for the Neanders, Veritas and Lee Valley were there.

I attend to purchase items and received a decent deal from Woodpeckers on a ruler and a decent price on some router accessories from Wood Line, however when going to the Peach Tree area, it became very apparent that their "show prices" are actually higher than the catalog prices. When asking an associate, he indicate most of the items at the show sell for more than in the catalog. Veritas no longer offers show prices but does offer free shipping if you purchase items at the show.

Just goes to show that the buyer must beware.

Well I use to live near troy IL, and they had a big show just across the river from st. Louis. I found that if you would take the demo model from the show, you could get a good deal. I picked up a good drill press a hundred bucks off because the guy did not want to lug it back with him. I went every year and liked just putting all tools in my hand and some of the demo's were good. I loved the Lienielsen table. They never minded you picking up their tools. However, the last two shows were getting very light. If sawstop ever offered a deal, I'd be there.

mike holden
01-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Fair enough, but I don't understand Peach Tree charging more at the show than in their catalog.
It costs them additional money to select, pack, and truck the merchandise to the show. Because it costs them additional money to have staff at the show. Because anything that isnt sold at the show has to be repacked, trucked home, and restocked.