PDA

View Full Version : Husky oil free vs oiled

Malcolm Schweizer
01-18-2014, 5:11 PM
Good day all,

HD sells a 33 gallon oil free compressor for $299

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-33-Gal-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-DISCONTINUED-F3S33VWD/202719351/

...and they sell a 30 gallon oiler for $439

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-30-Gal-Ultra-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C301H/203187352/

I always thought the oil free type were less powerful, but in this case it goes to slightly higher PSI and slightly better CFM. How does an oil-free compressor not burn up without oil? Is it a turbine on a sealed bearing? Which is the better of the two compressors? I lean to the good old iron twin cylinder oiled one.

I live on an island. This is my only option. Please don't suggest other brands because I have to get what I can locally.

Thanks,

Malcolm

Rick Moyer
01-18-2014, 5:52 PM
Your oil free link says it's discontinued, so is it even available to you? Regardless, the oil one will likely be better. I didn't read beyond but does it also have cast cylinders? that would be good.

75 dBA vs. 87dBA would be nice too. I wouldn't probably even consider the oil free one.

Michael Wildt
01-18-2014, 5:59 PM
There are pro/con for both. Generally an oil lubed compressor is more quiet than a oil-free, though one can find oil-free ones that are designed with this in mind. From your two choices I'd pick the oil lubed one. Maintenance is easy so don't let that scare you, and they do tend to last longer than the oil-free ones. Its CFM is reasonable and even with a max 135psi you're still well covered for most woodworking tools, and its less loud as well. To save a bunch of typing do check out this site for education.

http://www.about-air-compressors.com/

Budget for a flexilla hose or similar since the default hoses these compressors come with are stiff as a board when cold. For compressed air hose connectors checkout prevostusa, they just rock. And do get an air filter as well.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-18-2014, 6:21 PM
Thanks for the link Michael. Rick, they have 6 of the oil-less in stock and 9 oiled. I suspect the price difference is due to one being discontinued.

I should have mentioned I sold my 60 gallon oiled 220 because I need to be more portable and have 120. I do use impact drivers on the cars and building VW engines. (Gland nut tightening). Other than that it's mostly painting surfboards and kayaks, filling tires, blowing dust off of things, and occasional die work. As much as I loved the 60 gallon monster, the new shop has less room for it and it was probably overkill. I'm not worried about maintenance with the oiled. In fact, I am more worried about the durability of the oil-free.

Peter Quinn
01-18-2014, 6:30 PM
I'd get the oiled one. In fact I did, I used to have the same oiled version in my shop, gave it to my BIL and bought a bigger one, still works great in his shop a decade later. The oil-less ones are loud, and the dBa doesn't tell the whole story. They are loud in a chattery piercing annoying way that the oil bath thumpers are not. If its going to be in the same room with you, then definitely oiled. On CFM's, manufacturers rate CFM's rather whimsically on the consumer grade stuff, so its not clear those numbers are trustworthy, actual performance would be hard to judge from published statistics. Read the stats again, the oiled one has 5.3 SCFM at 90 psi (which is where most tools work anyway) , the oilless has only 5 SCFM's at 90 PSI, so the oil wins there. Going to 150 PSI versus 135 PSI is IMO irrelevant as few if any tools operate much above 90, and those that do take a lot more than 5 SCFM's. I'd also be interested to know the "duty rating" of each, or how many minutes per hour each could be expected to operate. I'll bet the oiled version is between 25%-50% duty rating, I'll bet if you ran the oilless that hard it would burn up and stop! Read the reviews on the HD web site you linked....not many happy owners of the oilless version. Heated up, burned out, stopped working....doesn't sound good.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-18-2014, 6:52 PM
Thanks Peter. I was going by the box which has a few extra points at 90 psi than the website shows for the oilless one. Anyway, I did not consider duty cycle. Good point. So far everyone is on the same track as me- oiled is overall better and more durable.

The he extra psi did interest me for using a handheld pressure parts cleaner that I have, and one big plus of the oilless model is I can lay it down during transport.

Likely will ill get the oiled model as soon as tomorrow.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-18-2014, 7:07 PM
By the way, the 33 gallon oilless is not the one I linked to. Same thing, but quiet version. Almost the same db rating. http://t.homedepot.com/p/Husky-33-Gal-Quiet-Portable-Electric-Air-Compressor-C331H/203995169/

tom gepfrich
01-18-2014, 7:17 PM
My oilless is going on 20 yrs old with zero problems but it is SUPER loud. When is does die, I want the Dewalt 200 PSi oilless. The extra energy stored at the higher psi is awesome and it is very quiet. We have the Dewalt at work and I am a big fan

Malcolm Schweizer
01-18-2014, 7:47 PM
I just saw that one, but as always, they don't ship it to the USVI. I could buy one in Miami and ship it, but too much hassle and then if it gets here and has a problem I am stuck.

As as for the decible ratings, I just read that they rated my old 60 gallon Husky at 82db. Ha! Mine was like a jet taking off. I even mounted it to 4x4's with a rubber pad under that to dampen vibration. Still noisy as heck. I would bet all it was at least 90 decibels. There is no way it was only 82.

Rich Riddle
01-18-2014, 9:40 PM
Of the two choices offered, the oiled one looks more desirable and also meets your stated needs.

Jim Andrew
01-19-2014, 8:28 AM
I've had an oil less compressor, very short life. The life of the oil lubed compressors, is the motor usually dies before the pump, and the tank rusts through.

Tai Fu
01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I think oil less compressors work because they sleeve the cylinder with teflon, and the piston either has teflon rings or are made of plastic altogether (with teflon rings as well). So they work as long as the teflon stays intact, as soon as the teflon wears out, the compressor is gone.

Jim Finn
01-19-2014, 3:14 PM
I have the Husky oiled compressor and it serves me well. Much quieter than an oil less compressor. I have it in the next room and cannot hear it run over the radio.