PDA

View Full Version : jet 1642vs

joe zarnitz
06-13-2005, 7:16 PM
just ordered it---hope its as good as i've been reading---joe

Cecil Arnold
06-13-2005, 8:05 PM
It is. I had a 1442 and was happy with it, if I had bought the 1642 I would still have it insted of the PM3520a--that 20" swing really called to me.

Fred Floyd
06-14-2005, 3:02 AM
I have the 1642-2hp. I've turned about 100 pens and about a dozen bowls. The last three are all 12+ inches in diameter. Even in the early stages there wasn't much vibration at reasonable speeds. If I do a lot of big bowls, I think I'll add the shelf and a sand box for ballast.

With the bigger bowls, it is necessary to use the lower speed range to get the necessary torque. The belt change takes about 30 seconds, once you learn how to do it. Low speed is 0-1200 rpm. High speed is 0-3250 rpm. At low setting, you can easily run at 150 rpm til things get round.

Dominic Greco
06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Joe,
I received your email asking for any plans I might have of my ballast box. I sent off a reply and was informed that it didn't got through. So I'll answer here.

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans for this. I did at one time, but they were on my old computer (I have since upgraded and trashed the old one).

However, if you read my article posted here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/articles/7/) you can probably get enough details to design your own version. It's just a box that fits between the cast iron legs. I used 3/4" oak plywood for the major parts, cypress for the edge trim, rabbits and dados for the joinery.

Good luck! I'm sure you're going to love using this lathe.

Dennis Taylor
06-15-2005, 11:56 PM
I have had my 1642 since October and love it, it is a great piece of machinery, and has done all I have asked of it...I have turned mostly bowls, and for me it was a jump up in lathe...I had the 1442 and returned it for the 1642 upgrade, it is a great lathe...you will enjoy it without a doubt..Dennis

Ken Salisbury
06-16-2005, 7:49 AM
just ordered it---hope its as good as i've been reading---joe

It is - and then some ! ! ! ! !