PDA

View Full Version : Laser-cut toddler bed

Matt Turner (physics)
01-18-2014, 3:48 PM
Since we got our big Kern laser this last year I'd been planning to cut out a bed for my son. I finally got it designed, cut, and assembled just before Thanksgiving, but I was waiting on the black hardware before I took pictures. (I used some galvanized bolts while dealing with the local Fastenal's inability to successfully order some screws for me.) It all fit on a single 5'x5' sheet of 1/2" Baltic birch, even after cutting down the sheet to fit in my car (and on the laser bed). It fits a crib-sized mattress. Tabs on the headboard and footboard fit into slots on the sideboards and are fastened with furniture screws running though the sideboards and into captive nuts in the headboard and footboard. The rails supporting the slats are just held on with screws running through the sideboard and rails, with a nut on the inside.

I'll put up a PDF file soon at http://guavaduck.com/laser. It should work with a CNC router, with some modifications to compensate
the tool radius, but may not fit on a single 5'x5' sheet.

Parts laid out after cutting:

Bert Kemp
01-18-2014, 9:25 PM
Now thats a nice lookin bed for the kid. Are you going for a bigger laser when he gets older, Maybe a big pass thru LOL