PDA

View Full Version : Sorry to miss Jimmy Clewes today

Brian Kent
01-18-2014, 3:12 PM
I had to miss a 7 hour demo by Jimmy Clewes today at San Diego Wood Turners. Still a little under the weather and saving energy for work tomorrow.

I have so little face-to-face instruction that I was really looking forward to this.

Thankfully they have many quality demos each year, and I plan on being available for a lot of them. 7 hour demos in April by Kip Christenson in May by Richard Raffin.

More than that, I look forward to getting with one of their mentors for basic instruction like improving my bowl gouge angles.

So I am finishing writing a sermon and watching woodturning videos during breaks. It's a good day after all.

(Besides, it is insanely warm and dry this week so it is probably miserable hot inside Jimmy Clewes' demo room ;))

Chip Sutherland
01-21-2014, 11:29 AM
I took a Clewes class here in metro Dallas several years ago at Canyon Studios. Had a great time. Learned a lot and have probably reverted to previous old behavior since then. What I got most out of his class was 1) how to turn square/rectangle pieces 2) how to dye. What I was most impressed with was his teaching abilities. Our class had serious turners and newbies....we was very skillful in dealing with the spectrum of questions and challenges. I bet the weather in LV is nice now....not so much in August.