PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Station

Rob Luter
01-18-2014, 2:32 PM
The thread that Jim Koepke posted about granite countertop scraps as a base for a "Scary Sharp" honing setup prompted me to finally post my sharpening station. I use the "Scary Sharp" method with great success. I started off with a granite surface plate as a mounting surface for sandpaper but it became a bit ungainly to use, especially when it came time to change grits or move it around. Instead, I put together another solution that's served me well for about 4 years now.

I started with blocks of thick MDF core board that has oak veneer on either side. Regular MDF would work as well, but I was using up some scrap material. I mounted a 3" x 11" 1/4" thick glass plate to each block with contact cement. Double strength hardware store glass would work just as well. I'm a window engineer and have easy access to whatever glass I want, so it was like "go big or go home". Each of these MDF/Glass sandwiches serves as a mounting surface for 3M abrasive film I get from Tools for Working Wood. I mount each of the 5 available grits on the glass and wind up with progressively finer honing surfaces. A squirt of water on each block and you're good to go. Just wipe them off to clean them up. They work great for both flattening backs and honing beveled cutting edges. I can achieve near optically perfect flatness and put a cutting edge on a chisel or plane iron that is truly "Scary Sharp". I use a Lee Valley honing jig for both plane irons and chisels. I use the Borg grinder for putting a hollow grind on the blades when necessary.

While I have everything all set up on its own table, the honing blocks are easily portable so I can bring one to the bench for periodic touch ups to chisels. The whole setup was pretty cheap to make and the 3M film lasts a surprisingly long time. You get three usable pieces from each sheet so one of their multi-packs lasts about a year in my shop. Unlike water stones, I never have to flatten anything and there's little to no mess.

If you're looking for a good sharpening solution, I'd recommend giving this approach a try.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5511/12016227873_7c0db0c76f_b.jpg

Steve Voigt
01-18-2014, 3:40 PM
Rob, it's a nice-looking set up. What would you say you spend annually on abrasives?
I used sandpaper for years, but finally gave it up when I figured I was easily spending the equivalent of one really nice stone per year on abrasives, maybe more. But there are probably more economical ways to do it than what I did.

Rob Luter
01-18-2014, 4:26 PM
Rob, it's a nice-looking set up. What would you say you spend annually on abrasives?
I used sandpaper for years, but finally gave it up when I figured I was easily spending the equivalent of one really nice stone per year on abrasives, maybe more. But there are probably more economical ways to do it than what I did.

I go through less than $20.00 annually on abrasive film. I get the ten sheet, five grit multi-packs here (http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/THS/item/ST-MAF.XX). They run $26.51 plus postage and last me a couple years. I should probably qualify that though....

I use the film for honing only. If the edge needs complete restoration (think garage sale find) the hollow grinds from my low speed grinder take care of most of the heavy lifting. If I have a chisel or plane iron that needs serious flattening, I do the bulk of the work on a DMT diamond stone. I am a hobbyist woodworker and not as hardcore as some. I don't get as much time in my basement shop as those who are more dedicated to the craft. That said, I maintain all the stuff hanging on the wall (sorry 'bout the mess) plus about a dozen block planes, shoulder planes, etc. My heavy users have good quality Hock blades and my L/N chisels are A2. They fight back a bit when getting honed, but all hold an edge pretty well. Your mileage may vary.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/12018436143_2e53429451_b.jpg

Joe Bailey
01-18-2014, 4:37 PM
That said, I maintain all the stuff hanging on the wall (sorry 'bout the mess) ...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/12018436143_2e53429451_b.jpg

There's a mess somewhere in that photo ??
(nice shop, btw)

Steve Voigt
01-18-2014, 6:01 PM
yeah, nice shop! What is the cool green thing that looks like a milkshake maker? (paint mixer, maybe?)

Rob Luter
01-18-2014, 6:59 PM
Milkshake mixer. Used to be a regular user in the kitchen. Whips eggs for omelets like nothing else can. Needs brushes. One more project.....

Frederick Skelly
01-18-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks for showing us your sharpening station Rob. Ive been looking for an idea there.

Can you describe or show a closeup of how you are hanging your planes?

Thanks,
Fred

Rob Luter
01-19-2014, 7:52 AM
It's just pegboard hooks. I bought a huge bag of them at one of those glove/tarp/tool outlets. They're about 8" long. I snip them back to whatever length I need and slide a piece of rubber gas line over the metal. It makes for a nice cushion. Make sure you get rubber and not vinyl or similar. If it's not rubber it will have plasticizers in the material that can attack the finish on totes and leave stains on the iron. Here's a link to a Hi-Res version of the photo where you can see the hooks in decent detail. It also enhances the clutter. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3779/12018436143_cd5b49c15e_o.jpg

george wilson
01-19-2014, 8:44 AM
Mess? I could only wish I could get my shop that neat. Being a tool pig like I am causes a traffic jam of tools!!

I have been lucky so far about abrasives. At gun shows,I found a guy some time ago selling sleeves of sand papers and stocked up for much below the high retail the stuff now costs.

Chris Griggs
01-19-2014, 9:42 AM
I like that tool storage setup. Looks simple and effective. I like the idea of pegboard storage because its adaptable as one adds tools. I need to build some storage in my shop and might borrow from your photos. My little shop is always a mess.

Rob Luter
01-19-2014, 12:26 PM
I like that tool storage setup. Looks simple and effective. I like the idea of pegboard storage because its adaptable as one adds tools. I need to build some storage in my shop and might borrow from your photos. My little shop is always a mess.

I’m a pegboard guy from way back. I like the more elegant solutions like some of the shop made cabinets I see on The Creek, but they’re not very reconfigurable. I reconfigure often based on what I’m using or what comes home with me from a rust hunt. I really need to thin the herd some as I have a number of duplicate items. As you might notice, I have a bit of a saw problem and need to build another till to hold all the longer specimens.

Chris Griggs
01-19-2014, 1:29 PM
I’m a pegboard guy from way back. I like the more elegant solutions like some of the shop made cabinets I see on The Creek, but they’re not very reconfigurable. I reconfigure often based on what I’m using or what comes home with me from a rust hunt. I really need to thin the herd some as I have a number of duplicate items. As you might notice, I have a bit of a saw problem and need to build another till to hold all the longer specimens.

Yeah the tool cabinets where everything has its place are neat, but I don't think that they would suit me. I like to be able to arrange things and adapt. For my shop I envision peg boards and cabinets with just a bunch of open shelves. I do like saw tills and should get a round to making one. Mine are all hanging on an empty bike hanging rack.