PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha electric piano

Bruce Volden
01-18-2014, 10:23 AM
My wife's keyboard (20+ years old) has been getting a couple of dead notes while she plays. The keys have to be struck quite heavily to produce the note.
I disassembled it yesterday and could find nothing mechanically wrong. I am wondering about the silicone/rubber membrane that the keys rest on? Can these be "re-carboned". I know the membrane has areas that have a small circular carbon disc that correlate to the keys being played, the disc comes into contact with the circuit board and music is made.
I ask the members here for their collective advice as this is about the brightest group I know. ALSO--parts are not to be had anymore for this model-least I couldn't find any.

Brruce

John Coloccia
01-18-2014, 10:27 AM
My wife's keyboard (20+ years old) has been getting a couple of dead notes while she plays. The keys have to be struck quite heavily to produce the note.
I disassembled it yesterday and could find nothing mechanically wrong. I am wondering about the silicone/rubber membrane that the keys rest on? Can these be "re-carboned". I know the membrane has areas that have a small circular carbon disc that correlate to the keys being played, the disc comes into contact with the circuit board and music is made.
I ask the members here for their collective advice as this is about the brightest group I know. ALSO--parts are not to be had anymore for this model-least I couldn't find any.

Brruce

What model is it. I don't know what you're budget it, but keyboard have gotten much much better over the years. There's a good chance you can replace what you have with something used, newer and much better. Find that model, though, and if I know anything about it I'll chime in. If it's the types of contacts I'm thinking of, you can clean it with some contact cleaner, and that will bring it back to life.

Bruce Volden
01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
WOW, quick response-thanks!

Off the top of my head it's a YFP 70. I did clean the contacts with contact cleaner and q-tip, no luck doing that though.
It was a spendy unit when she first bought it >$2000. May be time for an upgrade?
Thanks John

Bruce

John Coloccia
01-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Gee, that's only 76 keys. It's old...probably pre 90's off the top of my head. Used ones sell for $100 or less, though I wouldn't pay $100 for one. I would stop fiddling with it and upgrade. If you have any upgrade budget, let me know what it is and what she uses the keyboard for....i.e., is it mainly just piano sounds? Does she record with it? Internal speakers or do you have it going to a separate amplifier.

Dan Hintz
01-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Yes. They sell small bottles of the conductive ink that will allow you to revitalize the keys. Radio Shack use to sell the stuff, but those days have long since passed.

Here's some for $5:
http://www.amazon.com/Keypad-Restore-Conductivity-Carbon-Copper/dp/B0026PRMVM

Jim Falsetti
01-19-2014, 2:46 PM
Bruce - if you decide to buy a new electric piano, visit azpianonews and read some of the reviews. There is also some info on used electric pianos there. Good luck! Jim