PDA

View Full Version : Don't... (pics added)

Mike Cruz
01-18-2014, 9:39 AM
Just a useful tip to all (but the Neanders) the woodworkers out there: When tracking a band saw blade, first turn the machine off (check). Unplug it (well, let's just assume "check"). Spin the wheel by hand (check). DON'T allow the tip (or any part for that matter) of your thumb to get caught between the blade and the wheel. No, it won't cut your thumb (though I wouldn't really know about that), but when you instinctively yank your thumb out, it WILL rip /peel the tip of your finger back...and take some of your fingernail with it (this, unfortunately, I would know about).

Yes, I was working the lower wheel. For some reason the upper wheel was tracking fine, but the blade was riding forward on the lower blade. Turns out that the upper thrust bearing was too far forward and was the culprit. BTW, this wasn't on my saw. I was helping a friend out. It was a 1/2" x 4 tpi blade for cutting green wood on a 19" BS.

Lear from other people's mistakes...it makes you look smarter. (And yes, I KNEW not to do this beforehand, but apparently wasn't paying enough attention. I suppose I should have been turning the wheel with one or two fingers and had the rest of them tucked in...in a fist.)

Just for you, Myk! I peeled back the Band-Aids for you and all.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Ouch! I bet that caused some colorful language.

Raymond Fries
01-18-2014, 10:41 AM
+1 to OUCH...

Thanks for the tip and I hope you heal soon.

Mike Cruz
01-18-2014, 10:41 AM
A few choice (um, like a had the time to think about and chose my words) ones...yeah.

glenn bradley
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
owwwwwwwwwwwww! I felt that clear over here. Heal quick.

Myk Rian
01-18-2014, 12:08 PM
And as a matter of course;

Roger Feeley
01-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I read somewhere the 'colorful language' when expressed passionately enough releases endorphins and can actually ease the pain. There you have it folks. A good reason to curse in the shop. My dad used that language a lot around his shop. Now I know that he was just loading up on endorphins in case he got hurt.

Myk Rian
01-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I read somewhere the 'colorful language' when expressed passionately enough releases endorphins and can actually ease the pain. There you have it folks. A good reason to curse in the shop. My dad used that language a lot around his shop. Now I know that he was just loading up on endorphins in case he got hurt.
LOL. I'll have to remember that. Sounds like Dad got hurt a lot in the shop. :)

Mike Cruz
01-18-2014, 12:50 PM
I'd have to agree that choice words help... Myk, I added pics for you.

Myk Rian
01-18-2014, 1:16 PM
Damn. That's gonna sting for a while.

Allan Ferguson
01-18-2014, 1:30 PM
Turn the wheels by the spokes. A typical looking crush wound, and they do hurt!

Mike Cruz
01-18-2014, 2:48 PM
Yes, Mike, I'm suspecting it will. It has been just about 48 hours since it happened. Generally speaking, it doesn't hurt. By that, I mean, I forget about it (it isn't throbbing or anything). BUT I (because I had "forgotten" about it) grabbed something/smacked it into something a couple of hours ago and man, let me tell you, it still smarts!

Yeah, Allan, I was turning the wheel by the spokes...with my pointing and middle fingers. I just had my thumb "out" instead of tucked in...like I should have.

When I went back to finish working on the BS, I saw the sliver of fingernail between the blade and wheel. It looked just like a "clipping" from when you trim your nails. I had, though, JUST trimmed my nails a day or two before. So, I initially thought that it simply ripped what would have been the white/dead nail from across the entire tip. Upon further review, I realized that the rip was from about 1/4 of the way from the inside edge down the edge... It is going to take a long time for there to be no evidence of the incident in nail...if ever. Sometimes, your nail never really grows back normally...we'll see.