PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID Needed

Mark Kuzee
01-18-2014, 7:55 AM
What did I just buy?

I just picked up a small quantity of this wood for a song at an estate sale.

It is of medium density. I can hand plane it although it is a little tough. It is an exotic obviously (meaning it does not grow in my native Michigan). It does not seem to have a scent when planed.

When I wet it with MS it turns quite dark. Water brings out the deep browns as you can see on the one shot.

I can appreciate this wood without knowing a name but if I knew what it was I may have a better idea how I want to use it.

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

Mark

Maurice Ungaro
01-18-2014, 8:04 AM
The open pore pattern smacks of Mahogany, as do some of the medium brown shots.

Mark Kuzee
01-18-2014, 8:15 AM
Maurice,
I just finished a job with some Honduran mahogany and this wood is considerably more dense. This would does have some large pores but overall the wood is much heavier than Mahogany. Having said that, my experience with woods not native to the US is somewhat limited.

Mark

Maurice Ungaro
01-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Send me a few sticks of it,& I'll let you know if it is any good!

Mark Kuzee
01-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I think I may have it: Bolivian Rosewood

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/rosewood,%20bolivian.htm

It looks remarkably similar to the pics.

Has anyone used this and what was your experience? I think it may end up being some inlaid banding on a box or possibly a pair of winding sticks. Is this stuff stable?

Mark

Ryan Griffey
01-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Goncalo Alves

Might want to post it in the power tool forum.

Tom Vanzant
01-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Mark, I believe you are correct...Bolivian rosewood. I have a small plank of it and gave a larger plank to a friend several years ago. He makes dulcimers and prizes Bolivian rosewood for the sound boards.

Tony Shea
01-18-2014, 12:24 PM
I do think you have a rosewood of some sort. Having said that I am surprised that you think that this wood is of medium density. Most rosewood I have seriously seems like it is dense enough to sink in water.

My guess was going to be Honduras Rosewood. But as I said earlier this stuff is very dense and heavy. It can be very difficult to work with.

Mark Kuzee
01-18-2014, 12:28 PM
From what I understand this Bolivian is not a "true" rosewood but still has some of the characteristics of it. I think of True Rosewood and of coarse lignum vitae as dense.

Mark

Roy Lindberry
01-18-2014, 1:05 PM
What did I just buy?

I just picked up a small quantity of this wood for a song at an estate sale.

It is of medium density. I can hand plane it although it is a little tough. It is an exotic obviously (meaning it does not grow in my native Michigan). It does not seem to have a scent when planed.

When I wet it with MS it turns quite dark. Water brings out the deep browns as you can see on the one shot.

I can appreciate this wood without knowing a name but if I knew what it was I may have a better idea how I want to use it.

Thanks, I appreciate your response.

Mark

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/pau-ferro/

Jim Belair
01-18-2014, 1:06 PM
I have used bolivian/ santos rosewood/ pau ferro in veneer form. I find it a bit splintery but there are several species sold by this name (as one of the references confirms). The stuff I used had a bit more colour than yours appears to.

http://www.amwoodinc.com/_uploads/products/164_VR_PAUFE_a_278W1.jpg

Mark Kuzee
01-18-2014, 2:04 PM
Goncalo Alves

Might want to post it in the power tool forum.

Ryan,

I haven't ruled out Goncalo Alves.

Have you used it?

Mark