PDA

View Full Version : How Many Clamps?

Jeff Erbele
01-18-2014, 7:51 AM
I know the saying, "You can never have too many clamps" and why.

I have a few, a small assortment of various types and brands but not near enough. Yesterday we visited our new home under construction and for the first time saw the just poured basement walls, and those of the garage, delineating the space, size and location. One one hand it was great to see but now I have the "can't wait fever", worse than ever.

After we close and move, I am planning on buying a lot of shop machinery and tools in a relatively short time period, including a basic set of clamps. If you had none (for all practical purposes) and with a fair budget set aside, what would you buy for a basic set so you could work without major impairments?

Which types or styles, how many of each, and which brand?

I'm thinking at least two or a pair of anyting and maybe sets of 4 or 8.
Corner clamps, at least one set of 4 and maybe 8?
Bar clamps, what sizes, up to how long?
What would you avoid?
Any brands to avoid? ...I am not a Harbor Freight fan and avoid them.

Bob Johnson Lake Geneva
01-18-2014, 8:06 AM
Good to avoid Harbor Freight

Avoid, Avoid, Avoid any clamp by Irwin, total crap.

Pipe clamps - Jorgenson Pony with 3/4" galvanized pipe, get at-least 8
Bar clamps - Bessey K-body Revo 2@ 24" and 2@ 50", if you can afford it get 4 of each and get the KP blocks and won't need corner clamps

Alan Bienlein
01-18-2014, 8:23 AM
Harbor freight 6" to 24" bar clamps are just as good as the jorgies and cost a lot less.
3/4" pipe clamps in what ever lengths you might need for your projects.
I also use the 2" and 3" spring clamps sometimes on my projects.

Paying a lot of money for a clamp doesn't guarantee you will get the best.

Rob Feldner
01-18-2014, 9:19 AM
I've broken the plastic handle on harbor freight clamps. The rubber pads also left an oil spot on a project that I was gluing up. I like the Jorgensen bar clamps a lot. I have pairs that have seen 15+ years of use and are still good as new. I like their pipe clamps as well. You shouldn't skimp on parallel clamps because they need to be, well, parallel. Fortunately you tend to only need a pair or two, because they are pricey. If I need a LOT of clamps to hold something to a form, I usually make cauls with holes in either end and use threaded rod cut to length.
This is a bit fancier than I get since I make them to suit what I'm clamping, but the concept is the same: http://www.newwoodworker.com/cauls.html

Keith Hankins
01-18-2014, 9:28 AM
You will never have enough clamps. I've been buying them for going on 30 years. They all have their place. As to how many depends on what you will make. I have some bar clamps not many though. Jorgensen 3730's are good but for small jobs. I like the bessy parallel clamps and have them from 12" - 60". Get a couple of the long ones. I've used them on case work alot You can also get bridge connectors and put two of them together to get even longer. I've got quite a few of the bessy 3/4" pipe clamps really nice. They have good feet to stand on benches and make it easy to hang them on the wall out of the way when not in use. Groz, is producing a line of bessy copy's that go on sale from time to time that are good. I've also got a ton of crftsman C clamps, and a few wooden clamps. I will say I've got a good chunk of money in clamps. Now I did not get them all at once. I tend to get a single set of the bessy pipe clamps (15$) ever couple months. Does not take too much time to build a collection. You can also watch craigslist and ebay for them. www.searchtempest.com is your friend. Watch amazon they run sales, and I just get some everynow and then. You will be surprised how quick they build up. Don't neglect the short one's. I tell my kids every year, get dad a single 12" bessy and I'm happy. BTW, there is a rule in physics that states, "no matter how many clamps you have, the job at hand will require one more". Good luck!

John A langley
01-18-2014, 9:31 AM
Jeff the pipe clamps are great , do not use galvanized pipe use black pipe. I have quite a few of various kinds I like Jurgensen F clamps , Bessie Parallel clamps are excellent

I would start with 8 pipe clamps for 4 4' and 4 6' have the pipe cut 6 inches longer and thread both ends and buy a couple of couplers I got from 4 to 8 Bessie Parallel clamps various lengths couple hand screws come in handy The Jorgensen F clamps I get at least eight 6" eight 12 eight 18

The best way to do this
to get what you need for each project and you'll eventually get a collection

I also disagree with the Irwin being crap I have a few and they work fine
Sorry about the busted up sentences Siri and I were arguing this morning

Rich Harkrader
01-18-2014, 9:38 AM
Bessey makes good clamps. You might try this set.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Tradesman-Clamp-Kit/H5115

I'm also a big fan of Jet clamps, both bar and parallel.

Jerry Olexa
01-18-2014, 9:46 AM
The 24's are handy too....Agree 2 of each, 2,4 and 6's..I've grown to love the Jet clamp over the Bessey,jorgy etc but they are heavy...Pipe clamps good for start up.. G'Luck

Harvey Miller
01-18-2014, 9:49 AM
Am I the only one who uses parallel clamps 99% of the time? The only others I seem to reach for are quick clamps to hold the work down.

Steve Kohn
01-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Am I the only one who uses parallel clamps 99% of the time? The only others I seem to reach for are quick clamps to hold the work down.

You are not the only one.......I use the older style Bessey's almost exclusively.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-18-2014, 11:06 AM
Just get some, then get some more! When I first started, I had three clamps, all different, and slowly added from there. What I found that I reach for most are lighter simple bar clamps. I ended up with an assortment of Bessey. I also bought a huge pile of K body Bessey before the Revos, but I rarely use them. The stuff I build usually has some mechanical connection (dovetail, tenon, screw) that makes parallel clamps unnecessary. I've found that I use the simple bars to fix trouble spots more than anything. You can also buy about 4 bars clamps for the price of one parallel, and I'll take four (good) clamps over one any day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting rid of the parallel clamps, but the other clamps work better for me often. They can't be beat for drawers though.

Ralph Butts
01-18-2014, 11:13 AM
I am a fan of the Jet parallel clamps especially when they are on sale for Black Friday at 50% off.

Kent A Bathurst
01-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Depends on what type of work you will be doing.

I do a lot of panel glue-ups, for everything from large table tops to normal-sized panels for panel-and frame. I use pipe clamps exclusively for that. IIRC, I started with maybe 6 - 8 clamp sets, and got pipe sized to the project as needed. I personally don't like using clamps that are very much longer than the workpiece - clumsy, too much weight overhanging. The ones that get the most use are 40" - 10' cut into thirds.

This approach grew over time - get a couple more clamps, a couple more pipes, someone here had a dozen clamps for sale many years ago, go those............ Now I am up to 30 or so that are mounted, plus a half-dozen extra pipes in the really long lengths - 8' -
10'. I got bored swapping the clamps to different pipes.

Casework, like bookcases - parallel clamps. Bessey, but I like the Gros Stabil better - but that style isn't made any longer after Bessey bought them 5 years ago or so. Got maybe a dozen of those, but bought them over time as project needs require.

Bunch of 24" Jorgy medium weight F-style for holding all kinds of stuff. High-use item. 8 - 10 Quik-Clamp style to position things.

A tip on using the pipe clamps:

Get a short length of 1" PVC pipe. Cut it into 1" - 1-1/4" lengths. Use the band saw to cut out a section of the circle that is just less than half. Now you have an arc that will easily snap on the 3/4" pipe. These rest on myworkpiece, keeping the pipe off the wood and away from squeeze-out.

On the Bessey parallel - mine have wood handles. Use a handplane or bandsaw to cut two parallel flat surfaces into the handles. Close and tighten the clamp so it won't move. Now you ahve a surface that is much easier to grip and apply serious torque. In fact, I took a scrap of wood and cut an elongated hole in it - with parallel flat sides - that fits over the modified handles. A clamp handle wrench.

Mark Wooden
01-18-2014, 11:38 AM
I agree to start with the pipe clamps and couplers; I also have an assortment of pipe nipples12"-24" long when I needed to get just a little longer.
The Bessey and Jorgensen "f" style clamps are indispensable for me, the Bessys are stiffer, but the Jorgensens are easier with one hand because of the clutch. I don't have any K body clamps so I can't comment on them.
So-
4 pipe clamp heads with a bunch of pipes
4 12", 4 16", 4 24", "F"style (maybe start with 2 each)
A few spring clamps

This will get you started on your first project where you will most certainly run out of clamps.;)

jack forsberg
01-18-2014, 11:48 AM
how many clamps you need is based on the work you do. me i need tons of all types and that would include a vacuum.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/stennerfinish002.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/stennerfinish002.jpg.html)

tom gepfrich
01-18-2014, 12:19 PM
Get what you need now and keep an eye open on Cl for a gloat worthy deal. Old bessey clamps are made in Germany and are superior to the china made junk they sell now. My 2C.

john davey
01-18-2014, 12:19 PM
I am normally an avoid Harbor Freight guy but to be honest the Pittsburg F clamps have done well by me. Now I am a hobbiest and they do not get daily use. I bought 6 of them and one did wear out in one spot (grooves don't hold). The other 5 are fine after 3 years. I put a piece of tape on the one with the wear mark and only grab it for larger that 3/4 inch clamping as that is where it wore out. For me the price of them make them almost throw away items. If they wear just get more. Granted I have a local HF and always have a 25% off coupon. So I can just stop in from time to time and buy one 25% off. without going out of my way. Also Paul Sellers likes the aluminum ones they have but he modifies them somewhat by adding wood to them. I have a few and use them but am not as happy with them. For larger sizes I use Bessy parallel and pipe clamps.

Peter Quinn
01-18-2014, 3:06 PM
With clamps there is no one size fits all. Literally, one or two sizes of clamps won't get every project done effectively, and every wood shop is different, so the clamp selection is tailored to the work. I'd get a pile of f clamps, some 6", 12", 18", maybe 24" if that works for you. These are very versatile and give you that good basic hold, but not a ton of squeeze. I like pipe clamps as a good cheap and versatile solution, and you can tailor the pipes to suit the work, or joint them for the occasional longer projects, or just buy longer pipes. They provide enough pressure to glue up almost anything, but they are only as square as the pipes are straight, so they can require a little finesse to get things squared up. Parallel clamps are great for frame and panel work like doors or sash, and very effective for carcus construction. They square up assemblies quite easily, the length adjustment is on the same side as the clamp handle, and that little detail puts them heads above pipe clamps for some operations, they are the most expensive, so I waited to buy these until I had a clear sense of the actual sizes I needed. If you are very well financed I recommend you buy a ton of these and sell me the ones you don't use later! Seriously, they used to be cheap on Amazon, I'd buy a few sets for a job as needed until I had the variety and quantity that works for me.

I also have some jorgenson i-beam clamps. They give the best clamping force period, they pull together stubborn full size door parts that need a little persuasion to close up the joints once the glue is on. To me these are both the least often used and the most useful, but if I didn't make entry doors, I'd have less of these and more parallel clamps. Overall I'd suggest you focus on major machines, get a small selection of basic clamps, then buy them as you need them to avoid having a pile you don't need and missing some you do.

jim gossage
01-18-2014, 4:16 PM
I like the jet parallel clamps as do several others: i recommend 4 each at 24 and 48 in and 2 at 72 in. Ditto on the recs for other various clamps but i would add in small and large wood screw clamps.

Jim Neeley
01-18-2014, 7:20 PM
Jeff,

IMO, you don't simply *buy* clamps, you *collect* them. Although you need a good number to get started, plan on acquiring them over time. I started with enough to get going and now pick them up when I feel flush. About three months ago I added a dozen 12" HD Bessey Tradesman. LAst month I added a dozen 8" Besseys.

It was a good thing too, since over Christmas my Bride asked my son and I to re-glue our old (cheap commercial) table to make it less rickety. After applying four 50" and four 40" Bessey K-Bodies, a total of twelve F-style clamps and several ounces of Tite-Bond II, that table is one solid piece of furniture. That did not involve any disassembly either. If I was building it from scratch it would have been closer to twice that.

Buy them and you'll be amazed at how often you use them.

Unlike some here, I do have and use the quick-adjust (pistol-grip) clamps. I find them very convenient as a second pair of hands during assembly, although I almost always replace them one-by-one before the glue dries. They aren't good at avoiding slippage but are good for a quick grip when you need both hands on the other end of a board (to apply another).

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim

William Nimmo
01-18-2014, 8:48 PM
The aluminum bar clamps are reasonable and they are my go to clamps. I have jet, bessey and jorgensen parallel clamps and they are nice, but I use the rockler and jorgensen aluminum bar clamps , light strong and really can pull stuff together better than a parallel clamp.

Guy Belleman
01-18-2014, 9:31 PM
Jack, that is a lot of clamps. Have to look carefully to see that each rack has 5 or 6 clamps. That is about 15 times more than the base woodshop has. I'm surprised that wall isn't bowing with all of that weight on it. Clamp valance, new interior decorator design? Wonder if it will become a fashion. I would be afraid of accidentally striking the windows when taking down a clamp.

Frederick Skelly
01-18-2014, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Avoid, Avoid, Avoid any clamp by Irwin, total crap.[/QUOTE]

Could be I just got lucky, but I couldnt find enough Jorgensens one day and bought a few Irwins. They are small, maybe 8-10" long and have padded handles. Had 'em a while now. They are some of my favorite small clamps. I havent noticed any significant difference in performance between them and my jorgensens in the same size."

FWIW,
Fred

Dennis McDonaugh
01-18-2014, 10:25 PM
I think you almost need a few of every possible kind on the market. I use parallel clamps about 75-80 percent of the time and quick clamps most of the rest of the time, but I also have hand screws, six and eight foot pipe clamps, c-clamps, spring clamps, f-clamps and some 90 degree corner clamps. I think you need 4-8 of each type if you can afford them.

Richard Coers
01-18-2014, 10:33 PM
We have no idea of what you want to build. If you build some wall units from solid hardwood, you'll need a lot more clamps compared to making some jewelry boxes. I probably have 100 various clamps from Bessey K body, pipe, F clamps, parallel jaw wood clamps, small spring clamps, etc..............

Michael W. Clark
01-18-2014, 10:57 PM
I have mostly Jorgensen, just kind of happened that way. I like the Jorgensen HD bar (f style) clamps in 12" and 24", mostly 12" though. I like the light duty ones in 6". I also have some of Irwin quick grips 6" for misc use. Pipe clamps are indispensable, I prefer the ponies over HF. HF aluminum bar clamps are good in the 24" length, but 30" would be more useful (they don't have 24" capacity, more like 22"). I also have a couple of the Bessy mighty minis, low profile is great for clamping on auxiliary fences and for holding circ saw and router sleds to the work. Parallel jaw clamps are great for panels, but not a necessity starting out, IMHO.

Jeff Erbele
01-19-2014, 7:20 AM
how many clamps you need is based on the work you do. me i need tons of all types and that would include a vacuum.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/stennerfinish002.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/stennerfinish002.jpg.html)

Now I'm not sure I want to get into the wood working hobby after my shop is finished... :eek:
I am a machinist by trade and may do better by getting in the clamp manufacturering business ;)

Jack, that is one huge collection with a wow factor!
As I said in my OP, I don't have many yet, but I doubt I'll ever need or have that many.
...er, I don't know if you know this, but you can use them more than once :D

Jim Andrew
01-19-2014, 7:50 AM
Do you have Menards in Denver? I buy the cabinet masters on the made in USA sale they have 2 or 3 times a year. They closed out the I beam clamps, and I got a few then, and when Grizzly had their last clamp sale, ordered several more. The I beam clamps are the strongest thing out there. I buy C clamps at Harbor Freight and Menards, on sale and the small F clamps at Harbor Freight, as I like the handles better than wood. More grip. Have some of the heavy duty F clamps from Menards and Grizzly, they are great, and the only limitation I find is the straight handles. I go for the 5" offset. I just bought a couple of the automatic adjust Craig clamps, and some T track from 8020, and am in the process of building a new assembly table. The cost of clamps is so much that if you are going to have a decent selection, you need to watch your cost, unless money is no object.

Jeff Erbele
01-19-2014, 8:09 AM
We have no idea of what you want to build. If you build some wall units from solid hardwood, you'll need a lot more clamps compared to making some jewelry boxes. I probably have 100 various clamps from Bessey K body, pipe, F clamps, parallel jaw wood clamps, small spring clamps, etc..............

Richard, good point; i failed to state my project intentions. My project list is long, and varied with no end in sight.
Yes, wall units to jewelry boxes; cabinets, counters, drawers, furniture, shop benches, lathe work; projects where one glues & clamps wood assemblies, bowls & cutting boards to laminated bench tops. Projects large and small in size, simple to skilled in nature.

Jeff Erbele
01-19-2014, 8:20 AM
Bessey makes good clamps. You might try this set.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Tradesman-Clamp-Kit/H5115

I'm also a big fan of Jet clamps, both bar and parallel.

Rich, thanks for the link. I was not aware that there were starter sets / complete sets like that. I like the idea and that looks like a good set to start with, further I don't see regret in the future, especially if they are quality clamps.

Plus I know I will want a variety of other types clamps.

glenn bradley
01-19-2014, 8:34 AM
I'm in the buy as you go camp. What sort of work are you going to do? If you are making melamine kitchen cabinets your needs will differ from someone making chairs and tables. I make a range of things but, mostly hardwood furniture and most pieces have a carcass at their core; book case, hutch, dresser, occasional table, wall cabinet, etc.

The clamps I use least (with the exception of specialty clamps like corner, strap and face frame clamps) are regular f-style clamps, clutched and not. This doesn't mean I don't use them, I use them frequently. F-style clamps are generally applied as "additional" clamps once something is mostly clamped up. I just use them the least. I have spun the rubber off of the handles of Harbor Freight versions and agree that if Irwin clamps are going to be priced like real clamps, they should be made like them (JMHO):).

It is interesting how everyone has a favorite and most have some clamp that has failed them in some way. Again this will vary with what you do since this directly effects the clamp's suitability for the job. I use the heck out of Bessey mighty mini's which can be had at Lowe's for under $5. I probably have 18 or so. I have quite a few Bessey Uni-Klamps and K-body clamps in various sizes; these are the clamps that I use the most.

I have a dozen 3/4" Jorgensen pipe clamps with a collection of extra pipe lengths and couplers which mostly stay stored in a rack behind a rollout tool box but when you need them, they are the best clamp for the job and I'd hate to be without them. I have a collection of hand screws in different sizes that I use quite often.

Eric DeSilva
01-19-2014, 8:35 AM
I am a fan of the Jet parallel clamps especially when they are on sale for Black Friday at 50% off.

Another vote for the Jet parallel clamps. I've got a pile of old Besseys that I got 2nd hand for cheap, but alway reach for the Jets first. As Ralph indicated, they go on sale relatively often--biannually at least. Usually someone will post in the Deals & Discounts section when they see a good deal. My recollection is that they often price the cabinetmakers set--2 of the 2 footers, 2 of the four footers--for around $150 or so. That is a fantastic deal.

I know this cuts against the grain of wanting to fill your shop up ASAP, but what clamps you use depends on what you build. I'd say buy them as needed and keep an eye out for sales--you can buy a pile at full retail today, or twice as many over a year for the same price...

Randy Reitz
01-19-2014, 8:39 AM
Echoing what Kent and Richard said, it depends on the kind of work you intend to do. As with all tools, the more you have and the more kinds you have, the more problems you can solve. A high volume commercial cabinet shop needs one set, a part time turner needs another.

It looks like you want to try a little of everything. My advice would be to buy just the basics now, but budget for lots of additional clamps later as you find which niche you really enjoy. Many people start out wanting to do a little of everything but naturally gravitate to one specialty that gives them extra satisfaction. We all know someone who is "the jewelry box guy" or "the Windsor chair guy". Be especially careful about being sucked into the bowl turning vortex where you become the bowl. :)

If you look back at old woodworking literature from 100 or even 30 years ago you see they didn't have as many commercial clamps as we use today. The whole woodworking bench with vises, holdfasts, and fixtures was used for the things we use clamps for today. Lots of ingenius methods of holding work and assembling parts. As a recreational woodworker you can decide if you have more money or free time available to solve a problem.

Back to your original question. You always need 4 more clamps than you have. After you buy those 4, you still need 4 more clamps than you have.

Rich Harkrader
01-19-2014, 9:32 AM
If you want bar clamps, it's hard to beat these American made ones from Dubuque Clamp Works.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TL/item/MS-ABAR.XX

Chris Fournier
01-19-2014, 11:04 AM
How many is not the question. "What clamps do I need for "X" task?" is the question.

If you want to have enough clamps but not waste your finite resources buying what you don't need I'd suggest that to start out you buy the best clamps that you can to complete the project at hand. If you're flush, then buy a couple extra or a larger/smaller size at the same time. Soon enough you will have most all of the clamps that YOU require.

I have purchased high quality clamps or made my own when needed. I haven't bought a clamp in an awfully long time and it feels good not to have to go out and spend money on clamps.

jack forsberg
01-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Jack, that is a lot of clamps. Have to look carefully to see that each rack has 5 or 6 clamps. That is about 15 times more than the base woodshop has. I'm surprised that wall isn't bowing with all of that weight on it. Clamp valance, new interior decorator design? Wonder if it will become a fashion. I would be afraid of accidentally striking the windows when taking down a clamp.

LOL

Hargrave clamps made by Cinti tool as far back as the turn of the century(not this one) are the best ibeam clamps ever made. they don't fowl with glue.have the longest of thread(acme) and handle that can crank some psi like there is no tomorrow. If you ever come across these buy them all.

Guy i can't hang the Hargraves on the wall its to full. got them hanging off the rafters in the mill shop.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/004-20.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/004-20.jpg.html)

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/001-29.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/001-29.jpg.html)

Alan Bienlein
01-19-2014, 12:08 PM
LOL

Hargrave clamps made by Cinti tool as far back as the turn of the century(not this one) are the best ibeam clamps ever made. they don't fowl with glue.have the longest of thread(acme) and handle that can crank some psi like there is no tomorrow. If you ever come across these buy them all.

Guy i can't hang the Hargraves on the wall its to full. got them hanging off the rafters in the mill shop.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/004-20.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/004-20.jpg.html)

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad111/tool613/001-29.jpg (http://s927.photobucket.com/user/tool613/media/001-29.jpg.html)

Definitely have to agree with that statement as these are my go to clamps. I got mine for free and only wish I had grabbed some more but didn't want to be selfish. Kind of kicking myself now! They are the ones hanging to the right and would take those over any other bar clamp out on the market.

Well I'm going back out in the shop to find room for all the clamps I just got at Harbor Freight.

Kent A Bathurst
01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
If you want bar clamps, it's hard to beat these American made ones from Dubuque Clamp Works.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TL/item/MS-ABAR.XX

I second that. Forgot I had those. They also make very good handscrew clamps - under their label and others. Got a bunch of them also. If you - or I - want to know what i have for clamps, I gotta walk around and take an inventory, it seems.

Nathan Callender
01-19-2014, 12:15 PM
If I were starting over, I'd buy 10 12 inch bar clamps, 10 24 inch bar clamps, and 10 3/4 inch pipe clamps with feet and with 40 inch pipes, and then go from there. That would be a pretty decent collection to getaloy of stuff done.

johnny means
01-19-2014, 12:48 PM
+1 on the 30 price Bessey Tradesman set. Obviously, it's not a complete collection, but it's a good balanced starting point. I got by for a couple of years with two of these sets and never ran into anything I couldn't clamp. Parallel clamps, IMO, are too cumbersome to be ones only clamps. Remember, often times clamps are not being used for assembly and gluing. They also need to be useful for clamping jigs and fixtures. Also, the Tradesmans are light enough for delicate work. Just as important is that the 30 piece Bessey set gets you significantly in the game for $350 or so. This gets you a core set of lengths from 6" to 36" which will cover 99% of the average woodworkers needs. Parallel clamps, I think are to expensive and not flexible enough to be part of a starter set. Pipe clamps are great when you need 10 ft, but suck when you need 8 shorter clamps in a small area.