PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice for buying a vacum press.

Max Neu
01-18-2014, 7:16 AM
I think it's time for me to get into vacum pressing,I would like some suggestions on which model would be the best for me to get.I am not interested in making one,I just want to buy something that is ready to go.I build custom cabinets,mainly kitchens,I need something to make radius work easier.I won't be using it alot,so I don't need an expensive commercial unit,just something that works well when I need it.I would appreciate any suggestestions from people that have them where I should get it from,and what type.

Glen Johnson
01-18-2014, 7:45 AM
Go to joewoodworker.com. I buy my veneering tools and supplies from him and have been pleased with his service. He sells parts for a build it yourself kit. I have found that most of the time I just bypass the kit and connect my pump directly to the bag and run the pump continuously until the glue dries. I suppose that will shorten the life of the pump, but I think it will last plenty long for me as I don't use it that often. On his suggestion, I went to the borg and got some 3/4 melamine and cut 1/4 inch deep saw kerfs on a one inch grid pattern and cut the sheet into various sized platens. I use 1/4 inch melamine for the top platen to match the size of the piece I am veneering. I have also started to hammer veneer most of the smaller pieces I make because it involves less setup time.

Keith Hankins
01-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Ok as the previous poster stated go to Joewoodworker's site and get his plans. He sells everything from the parts to the pumps too. I already had a Gast (one of the best pumps out there) that I got from a surplus sale. His plans work and I use mine a lot. The pump is the easy part His kits are complete and you will spend a lot less than a commercial one.
There are two types you can use. The venturi type that creates the vacuum from an air compressor you have (need a good one), or using the pump. If you have a big compressor and don't mind the noise of it cycling on and off, then go with that otherwise the pump is the best. The plans are good and you don't need to be an electrical engineer to do it. The pump is only part of the equation.
The bags will play as big a role in your frustration with the effort as well. When I first built mine I went economical and bought the vinyl. They work ok and did the job fine, but they are stiff and a mother to deal with. My last bag I needed a long one for laminated bedrails, and got the polyurethane. A world of difference. Trust me spend the extra bucks and go that rout. They come with better air connector that sits flatter to the work and are soft and work fantastic! So glad I spend the extra bucks.

Now for platens that you will put your work on inside the bag. I get a single 4x8' sheet of chipboard covered in formica. I'ts slick so glue wont stick. I have a couple different sizes. Take a router and round over the edges. A sharp edge will poke a hole through the bag and that will hurt! Some cut criss cross grids to allow the air to evenly be removed to avoid pockets which will kill the project and leave bubbles (you will exerience this but it can be fixed). I bought some of the mesh he sells and cover my glue up with wax paper then the screen and it goes down flat and works great. He also has a beginners kit of tools and the veneer saw is a two-cherries (good one). His veneer is top of the line. I've bought a lot of waterfall bubinga from him, and its great.

Finally if you have questions email him and he's quick to respond. Read his veneering questions. Also learn about glues. There are different ones for different purposes. I was a babe in the woods and he got me through it. I've done quite a few projects since and once you get the concepts it's not bad.

http://joewoodworker.com/veneering/frequently-asked-questions.htm

John Schumer
01-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Joewoodworker as well here !!!!!

I bought everything from Joe, made my own Venturi pump from one of his kits, top notch !
I use a 3/4" platen with mesh on top, works incredibly well!

I am in the middle of making a bunch of Ropey Cherry cabinet doors at the moment, and the vacuum bag assembly from Joe is working great.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
Max, I know you said you want a prefab unit, but I'll +1 Glen and Keith's remarks. Most of my vacuum press experience has been with veneering bent laminations, and I don't see how any prefab solution is going to get you the capabilities you'll want without at least some assembly of options. You can save a lot of money using Joe's kits, if that interests you. Otherwise,

http://www.vacuum-press.com/default.html

They sell silicone frame presses and pumps, amongst other cool stuff.

Kevin Jenness
01-18-2014, 10:52 AM
I would recommend Vacuum Pressing Systems. The owner, Darryl Keil, is very knowlegeable and helpful,they've been in business for over 20 years, their gear is reliable and service has always been good. They have a couple of good videos and other supplies including adhesives.

For radius work a bag a polyurethane bag is the most versatile and will give the best service over time, but the vinyl bags work fine as well. If you get into more flat veneering, or for radius work with less than a 6" rise, a frame press makes the process a lot easier.

Jim Barstow
01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Veneersupplies.com (associated with joke woodworker.com). I got the excel 1 system and the polyurethane bags. Worth every penny.

Jeff Duncan
01-18-2014, 11:44 AM
I think the electric ones are really very simple to use and more handy than you might think. I bought one several years ago and while I don't use it everyday, it's a very important tool I would not want to be without. Yes, they are pretty simple to make if you wanted to, but since you don't, I'd recommend going with a kit. Get yourself a vac press as well as a couple bags depending on what your looking to do. I have a 2' x 9' bag just for gluing solid wood cores. I have a 4' x 5' bag for most small projects, and then I have a larger bag for bigger panel glue-ups.

As far as specific models I don't really have any recommendations. The main things you have to decide are whether or not you want an automatic one, which I highly, highly recommend. Who wants to stand around monitoring a project for several hours? And how fast you want it to evacuate the air. The more cfm's the faster it will "clamp" down. If your doing larger panels you'll have a lot of air to pull. Smaller bags and projects not so much. In general I'd say buy as much as you can afford as you can't go wrong having more press than you need.

When your trying to make a living with these machines you look at it differently than when its just a hobby. That's why I recommend going with a good press that will last you a long time and make you money;)

good luck,
JeffD

Max Neu
01-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the help,I just went to veneersupplies and bought the venturi kit.I wasn't planning on making it myself,but since it supplies everything,and is only a 2-3 hr. job,I jumped on it,for only a few hundred dollars.But,by the time I bought the kit,some bags,and a few start up kits,that few hundred dollars turned into almost $900,LOL!Oh,well,I was planning on spending over $1000 for one ready to go from Woodcraft,so I am happy to get everything I need to get started for less than $1000.

Now,who has the best prices on veneers?Veneersupplies seemed a little pricey on their veneers.I just bought a 4'x8' sheet of maple (wood backed) from Wurth/Baersupply for $48.00,but they don't have a big slection of species.Veneer supplies was considerably more than that.Are they more of a specialty/exotic supplier,rather than large sheets of common species?

Mike Henderson
01-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the help,I just went to veneersupplies and bought the venturi kit.I wasn't planning on making it myself,but since it supplies everything,and is only a 2-3 hr. job,I jumped on it,for only a few hundred dollars.But,by the time I bought the kit,some bags,and a few start up kits,that few hundred dollars turned into almost $900,LOL!Oh,well,I was planning on spending over $1000 for one ready to go from Woodcraft,so I am happy to get everything I need to get started for less than $1000.

Now,who has the best prices on veneers?Veneersupplies seemed a little pricey on their veneers.I just bought a 4'x8' sheet of maple (wood backed) from Wurth/Baersupply for $48.00,but they don't have a big slection of species.Veneer supplies was considerably more than that.Are they more of a specialty/exotic supplier,rather than large sheets of common species?

I buy from Certainly Wood and B&B Rare Wood. I work with raw veneer, and not backed veneer. Backed veneer is generally used for millwork applications while raw veneer is generally used for furniture.

With the venturi kit you need an air compressor but I expect you understand that.

Mike

Max Neu
01-18-2014, 1:07 PM
I buy from Certainly Wood and B&B Rare Wood. I work with raw veneer, and not backed veneer. Backed veneer is generally used for millwork applications while raw veneer is generally used for furniture.

With the venturi kit you need an air compressor but I expect you understand that.

Mike
Yes,I have a 60 gallon air compressor,so I should be fine.I will look into Certainly Wood and Rare Wood.
Thanks!

Peter Quinn
01-18-2014, 2:50 PM
http://www.berkshireveneer.com These guys are worth looking at. Very good at what they do.

John TenEyck
01-18-2014, 7:38 PM
Another plug for Certainly Wood. Excellent product and service, fair prices. http://certainlywood.com/

John

Alan Bienlein
01-18-2014, 7:51 PM
I have this system I got from Woodcraft back in 2008 along with the another 54" x 109" vinyl bag. This system has produced a few hundred panels with out a single problem. The only other expense was for the mdf for the plattens and I went to walmart and picked up some felt like material that does the same thing as breather mesh but also acts like a cushion on the corners of the glue ups so they don't damage the bag.

Jim Leslie
01-18-2014, 10:13 PM
I have the Vacupress unit, which is a rotary piston type. What I like about this unit is that when it reaches the vacuum level you want, it turns off and will maintain that for as long as it is connected. (like a thermostat). If there is a minor bag leak, it will turn on again. I generally leave my panels overnight to cure and I like that it doesn't run all the time.

Richard Coers
01-18-2014, 10:29 PM
+1 on Vacuum Pressing. By his DVDs if you need to learn techniques.

Mike Henderson
01-19-2014, 1:51 AM
If you're new to veneer work, buy Paul Schurch's DVD on veneer work.

Mike