PDA

View Full Version : Like Printing Money

Tim Bateson
01-17-2014, 4:16 PM
Who needs to make an ATM withdrawal when you have a laser? Some days it's a struggle, other days it seems this laser just spits the cash out. My wife thinks I practically live here in my shop, but she doesn't complain come Christmas time, or our trip to Vegas the end of February.

Chris DeGerolamo
01-17-2014, 4:39 PM
I have been slammed since October or so. This past week was intense: a new customer off the street has given me ~15 hours machine time alone, all commercial work that is going to make us even busier. I had 6 AR-15 engravings today alone: 4 local, 2 to be mailed. Did a few 1911 grips today....what else... one firearm transfer, two glass picture frames, case foam for a pelican case (2 uppers, one lower, scope, EOTech, magnifier, 2 mags, battery case and tool box). Now I'm running HVAC tags for an order of 52 units.

OH I almost forgot to mention: the 3D mode on my laser is being utilized! It takes several passes to achieve the effect and it is looking fantastic (I don't think I can post pics sorry; I can say it's flooring material that's colored after engraving)

I love being busy though, beats the alternative.

Mark Ross
01-17-2014, 5:55 PM
We honestly could use a third one but instead I got stuck with a second stupid 3d printer (pout pout lol). We ran our lasers last year everyday M-F for 8 hours, some Saturdays and sometimes 16 hours a day. However, this is business we have built up over a long period of time, not just saying, hey I want to buy a laser. I know Tim has expanded over the years. Tim, didn't it start out a sort of a second job?

David Rust
01-17-2014, 7:53 PM
We honestly could use a third one but instead I got stuck with a second stupid 3d printer (pout pout lol). We ran our lasers last year everyday M-F for 8 hours, some Saturdays and sometimes 16 hours a day. However, this is business we have built up over a long period of time, not just saying, hey I want to buy a laser. I know Tim has expanded over the years. Tim, didn't it start out a sort of a second job?
Mark,
That's exactly where the wife and I are right now, the wife and I bought our laser about 18 months ago as a part time hobby/business and slowly working it up. I still have my day job, but love doing this stuff evenings!! I hope to get to keep growing to a point where we can depend on it, but for now we are content where we are.

Dee Gallo
01-17-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm so glad to read posts like this from you, Tim. I remember when you questioned the whole endeavor. You are proof that perseverance and skill lead to success. Kudos!

Robert Tepper
01-17-2014, 11:26 PM
I purchased my Trotec Jayjet 300, 80 watt machine in July of 1012. I can honestly say this is the single best investment I have ever made for my business. I have discovered a new market and my machine runs constantly. I can get through to my sales rep very easily and the few times that I have called for service, the help has been exceptional.

Robert

David Rust
01-18-2014, 12:37 AM
I purchased my Trotec Jayjet 300, 80 watt machine in July of 1012. I can honestly say this is the single best investment I have ever made for my business. I have discovered a new market and my machine runs constantly. I can get through to my sales rep very easily and the few times that I have called for service, the help has been exceptional.

Robert

Wow, that machine has been in service a long time!! :)

Dan Hintz
01-18-2014, 7:53 AM
Wow, that machine has been in service a long time!! :)

No one can ever question the longevity of a Trotec ;)

Mike Null
01-18-2014, 9:13 AM
Tim

Like Dee, I can remember where you were a couple of years back. This is really good news.

My year was outstanding and this month has been good as well even though I've taken some steps to cut back a bit. I call it re-focusing.

Tim Bateson
01-19-2014, 12:22 AM
... Tim, didn't it start out a sort of a second job?

This is still my 2nd job, but I put in as many or more hours than I do at my day job.

Tim
Like Dee, I can remember where you were a couple of years back. This is really good news.
My year was outstanding and this month has been good as well even though I've taken some steps to cut back a bit. I call it re-focusing.

Thanks Dee & Mike. I did take a few months off a couple years ago. We all like the "idea" of being busy, but burning the candle at both ends isn't a life style for everyone. Now my wife has trouble pulling me away for a vacation. This year we compromised on Vegas - ARA show for me, slot machines for her.

Greg W Watson
01-21-2014, 2:24 PM
I really hope to have this problem someday, I just started in October and I did better than projected but it has been slow since new year :(

Tim Bateson
01-21-2014, 3:39 PM
Greg,

I had whole months, a couple times up to 3 months with no new work. Then the flood gates would open & you don't know if you're coming or going. Then nothing for a couple months. This time of year use to be a slow period, sometimes even dead. The past 2 years, there have been no slow periods.

It takes time. Again, short of stumbling on a couple good contracts, it takes time to build a reputation & to be known. In my case it didn't hurt that most of my local competitors went belly up. :-D

Greg W Watson
01-21-2014, 5:51 PM
Greg,

I had whole months, a couple times up to 3 months with no new work. Then the flood gates would open & you don't know if you're coming or going. Then nothing for a couple months. This time of year use to be a slow period, sometimes even dead. The past 2 years, there have been no slow periods.

It takes time. Again, short of stumbling on a couple good contracts, it takes time to build a reputation & to be known. In my case it didn't hurt that most of my local competitors went belly up. :-D

Thanks Tim I am keeping my head up for sure :)