PDA

View Full Version : Couple of vases

Carole Valentine
06-13-2005, 5:22 PM
Practicing my hollowing. Neither has any finish except a light coat of oil to seal. Am thinking about laquer, but haven't decided yet. The first one I have named "Lucifer" because it gave me such a fit hollowing through the long neck into that spherical lower part!:D

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7cmyn/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/maplevase1.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7cmyn/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/maolevase2.jpg

Michael Stafford
06-13-2005, 5:28 PM
Looking good, Carole. You are moving right along! :) ;)

John Hart
06-13-2005, 6:00 PM
What wonderful shapes you've captured there Carole. Very very pleasing! They look a bit like ambrosia maple, but I can't be sure though.:confused:

Carole Valentine
06-13-2005, 6:08 PM
Thanks, John. They are "slightly" ambrosia. LOL

Jerry Clark
06-13-2005, 7:26 PM
Beautiful Carole, you do such nice work-- Great form on both pieces.:D

W Craig Wilson
06-13-2005, 7:53 PM
Nice work! How tall is 'Lucifer' and what did you use for hollowing tools?

Cecil Arnold
06-13-2005, 8:03 PM
Very nice Carole, yes, how tall is the first one?

Carole Valentine
06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
The first one is 6" tall and the second is 5". I only have a Jet Mini . I used the Stinger set on both of these. The problem with Lucifer was I was just about at the limits with the angled bar and the curved bar would not fit due to the long neck which is about 1" at the narrow part. I need to get a different handle for the Stinger bars. Don't know if they can be used in something like a Kelton, with the adapter, or not The Scorpion pistol handle does not work well on a Mini (it hits the ways.) I am now the proud (but ignorant) owner of a set of Scorpion tools that will sit in a box on the shelf until I get a larger lathe.

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Carole.................THOSE ARE VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY NICE!

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
06-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Go Carole! Those are nice. Lucifer reminds me of a piece of pottery I found way down in the woods when I was a kid. Identical shape. It now sits in an A&M museum of sorts as an Native American water bottle.

Ernie

Brad Schmid
06-14-2005, 1:25 PM
looks great Carole! keep up the good work!
Brad

Bud Duffy
06-14-2005, 5:34 PM
Those are real nice looking hollow forms there Carole. But i have to admit i really do like the way the shape of Lucifer accentuates the flow of the grain in the bottom area into the neck. Once those get finished and polished up they will be spectacular! Do you plan on putting a coller on the oval one , i think a real dark one would set that one off nice somthing like ebony or maybe even bloodwood! Just a thought.

Bud

Carole Valentine
06-14-2005, 8:30 PM
Bud, I haven't learned to make collars yet, LOL. These are only the 2nd and 3rd HFs I have done. The opening on the one you are talking about is rounded so it would be hard to fit a collar at this point I would think.

Anthony Yakonick
06-15-2005, 12:20 AM
Nice work Carole, you have a pm!